Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

cold arms with a Ridgerunner & Xtherm combo...

So I have been hanging in a double-layer Ridgerunner using a thermarest Xtherm long/wide (mummy-shaped one) and a 10 degree topquilt.

That works well, for the most part, and I am warm & toasty almost everywhere even down into the teens. However - sleeping on my back, my elbows and triceps end up cold even if it's only getting down to 55 - they naturally want to fall beyond the width of the pad & thus have no insulation below. (I'm not huge - M, 5'11", 170, 41" chest/shoulders.)

Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and has found a good solution...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    An SPE (see at 4:40 in video below) or a Hotspot will help with that.....https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc....tion/hot-spot/
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    30” wide pad did it for me. It fills the entire area between the layers. So there is no part of the RR that doesn’t have the insulation. Works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    An underquilt made for the Ridgerunner seems to work perfectly for me. Combine that with a wider top quilt and you shouldn't have an issue.

Very cool - thanks for honing right in on the potential solution!

An underquilt is probably in my future for some trips, but there are situations where I have to be able to go to ground (trips up in Ontario in burn zones; above treeline in the Rockies)...so a pad for those times is important.

The SPE concept is great.

Looking at 30" pads is a possibility too, but it's got to be pretty UL for me to bite...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post

An underquilt is probably in my future for some trips, but there are situations where I have to be able to go to ground (trips up in Ontario in burn zones; above treeline in the Rockies)...so a pad for those times is important.

Looking at 30" pads is a possibility too, but it's got to be pretty UL for me to bite...
    I can't say from experience, but I'd question whether or not a 30" wide pad would fit in a DL Ridgerunner.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I can't say from experience, but I'd question whether or not a 30" wide pad would fit in a DL Ridgerunner.
    Fits perfectly. It’s all I’ve used for the last year in a DL RR. Inflated fully or half, it fits. My son also uses a RR and he uses an UQ from arrowhead equipment that works pretty good also. He’s not a pad guy. Most symmetrical underquilts will fit on a RR. With some tweakin. Here’s a pic of mine with a hammock gear 10* Econ. Full coverage and really warm.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Fits perfectly. It’s all I’ve used for the last year in a DL RR. Inflated fully or half, it fits. My son also uses a RR and he uses an UQ from arrowhead equipment that works pretty good also. He’s not a pad guy. Most symmetrical underquilts will fit on a RR. With some tweakin. My HG Econ 10* fits the RR perfectly

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    No need to question. Yes, a 30" pad does indeed fit quite nicely in a DL RR.
    Well, perhaps I should say, that a 30" pad fits my DL RR. I cannot attest that all DL's will, but I think I remember Brandon stating that they were built to accommodate a 30".
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post

That is one advantage of the SPE. You only make the pad wider where you need it, in the shoulder/elbow/hip area And, you might can fill some of those SPE sleeves with a fleece jacket if you don't need to sleep in the jacket. Also, if sleeping on a diagonal with feet right, sometimes I only compress my TQ in the shoulders on the left side, so I might not even need anything on the other side. But obviously that only applies to a gathered hammock, not a bridge like you use. Also, you can stack(at least I can in my old Speer SPE) either CCF or inflatable or a combo of both to whatever thickness you need, according to how cold you expect it to be. I would stack one torso length pad on top of a full length, since I don't seem to need near as much pad under my legs/feet.

One more advantage, though maybe not for you since you already have a double layer I suppose: when using this torso sized sleeve/SPE, I no longer have any use for a double layer. Saving the weight of a full length second layer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast