Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's the appeal of the Draumr for me.
    H.W.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Then let me share this idea, which i have not seen anyone else using: sofa-mode whipping.

I did some experiments with different gathering patterns for whipped gathered end hammocks. What i found is that if you leave one side long and the other side short, it creates a weird shape that isn't good for general hammocking, but turns the hammock into a lovely "sofa" if you sit in it perpendicular (as if it where a chair). Top view of hammock blank, in ASCII:
    Code:
     --------------------
     \                  /
      \----------------/
    You can go a bit further by adding a wobble in the gather so that it hits all the notes of a typical recliner:
    - high back
    - low butt
    - elevated feet
    - raised knees

You need a wide fabric to do this, but it does work. As i said, it doesn't sleep that well, but it makes an excellent chair.
    I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work for me. The short side in your diagram would be the top, or back of the "sofa" I'm thinking, but it looks like your feet are going to be on the ground unless you turn diagonally. An interesting concept that perhaps could be taken farther yet...

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Then let me share this idea, which i have not seen anyone else using: sofa-mode whipping.
    I did some experiments with different gathering patterns for whipped gathered end hammocks. What i found is that if you leave one side long and the other side short, it creates a weird shape that isn't good for general hammocking, but turns the hammock into a lovely "sofa" if you sit in it perpendicular (as if it where a chair). Top view of hammock blank, in ASCII:
    Code:
     --------------------
     \                  /
      \----------------/
    You can go a bit further by adding a wobble in the gather so that it hits all the notes of a typical recliner:
    - high back
    - low butt- elevated feet- raised knees
    You need a wide fabric to do this, but it does work. As i said, it doesn't sleep that well, but it makes an excellent chair.
    That's how I made my hammock "recliner chair." I used 4 yds of fabric that's 72" wide so it supports my entire body length when I sit/lie in it cross-wise. I think it's more comfortable (and a lot more portable) than the zero-gravity recliner I had to sleep in after several reconstructive spine surgeries. Once I found the whipping pattern that works for me I marked the ends to that shape so I could replicate it again after laundering. The resulting lay is similar to the pic you show in your Post 7 above but conforms better to support my entire body, almost weightless floating on air, cool in summer heat & humidity but easy to insulate with a pad. I only use a small neck pillow; no big under-knees pillow needed. Light and compact to transport.

I could have cut & re-hemmed the shapes but I wanted the freedom to tweak further, or to re-whip it as a regular gathered-end hammock. I can read & work on my laptop in it, often fall asleep and stay there all night. It's all in tweaking the whipping pattern to make it fit me just right, but IMO it was well worth the time it took, and very low cost to try it just by re-gathering & whipping a GE hammock you already have, or with a few yards of wide fabric or a pre-hemmed tablecloth. If it works for you, maybe step up your game to a Draumr. But for every-night indoors sleep & lounging you can save a lot of $$ by not needing all the bells & whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    In your other post I suggested using a combination of lowering the foot suspension, a knee pillow, and a torso pillow as the least expensive experiment. Followed by acquiring a used Draumr.

I use this set up when I am watching Netflix on my computer screen at times when I don't want to sit at the computer desk (except lowering the foot suspension). I actually call this my "couch". This is done using a DL DH Sparrow hammock laying on a standard diagonal angle, i.e. it is not a banana lay. Of course this is the simplest and least expensive solution and you probably can throw a bunch of money experimenting with other options and that is what HYOH is about.
    Pardon me.......... I missed the bit about lowering the foot suspension. Actually I think you are right about it being the simplest and least expensive solution. Hang the head high, on the tree, the foot low.... Though I do think the knee pillow would have to be a bit more refined to keep you from sliding to the low point.

The natural hang of a hammock is the banana inherently..... except when sleeping diagonally. Thinking further about what I was proposing with the two load bearing side panels with the bottom sewn between them, I was thinking that the difference in "hangle" due to tree spacing and tension would mess it up, but with one or two taught ridge lines, the effective hang points of the hammock are not the trees, but the ends of the ridge lines, so tension becomes the only variable.

I sort of like the idea of buying a cheap hammock on Amazon and sewing in an air mattress pocket laterally like the Draumr, and adding the shaping straps. I'd love to try one out sometime........ but where would I find one in Montana?

Images

Recliner Sofa Whipping

Here's a better illustration of the "recliner sofa" whipping pattern. This isn't to scale, just to give some idea of how you do it. To reiterate, you need really wide fabric to make this work. 72" minimum, 96" would be better.

recliner-hammock.jpg

Here's a better illustration of the "recliner sofa" whipping pattern. This isn't to scale, just to give some idea of how you do it. To reiterate, you need really wide fabric to make this work. 72" minimum, 96" would be better.

recliner-hammock.jpg

recliner-hammock.jpg
    Thanks........... I'm a neophyte as far as hammocks. My only experience dates back 50 years with a pocket size net hammock I spent an entire summer in.... 1970, in the Mount Hood National Forest, while participating in an NSF project. I used a cheap plastic tube tent strung on an overhead line that I would pull up over the hammock if it rained... common in Oregon.... Otherwise I wanted to sleep under the stars.

Even the terminology here is new to me, so please keep that in mind. I see how this would work..... finally. Do you use a rectangular piece of fabric and whip by the pattern you show, or hem it to match your shape shown. What whipping technique do you advocate.. It appears to me that following the desired pattern shown would be far easier if the shape is cut and hemmed into the fabric...... at least once the optimal shape is determined. I'm working on educating myself on this stuff. Isn't the internet a great resource for learning!! Clearly there is no reason to buy a factory hammock when I can make one up that meets my criteria, except that at very low cost, I would have all the materials to start with, without having to shop for suitable stuff...... The miracle of Amazon ;-) The nearest city is 80 miles away...... I'm VERY remote, so the cost of simply making the trip to a place where suitable fabric MIGHT be available, is greater than the cost of ordering from online. Considering that I can order a cheap (throw away) double hammock on Amzn for under $20, it makes sense to me to begin there, open it out and experiment with whipping using your rough outline to develop what I want................... Am I making any sense here, or is my ignorance showing?

H.W.

Images
    Here's what you do: order raw fabric from ripstopbytheroll, dutchware, or anywhere you can by nylon, -OR- get a couple of extra-wide blanks from tableclothesfactory (crinkle taffeta makes the best hammock). Tablecloths are cheap and fun to experiment with.

Whipping: Draw in pencil the "pattern line" across the edge of the fabric rectangle that will become the hammock body. Carefully gather by hand along the line you drew. Whip using any whipping technique you want (I use Western Country Whipping because it is easy to undo).

Hanging: get or make a coupla amsteel continuous loops. Put the loops on the hammock (larkshead knot behind the whipping). Hang with cheap 1" polyprop webbing from the hardware store or anything you might already have.

Adjusting: you will probably do this a dozen times experimenting with different patterns. You can always slide the loops off and undo the whipping to get back to raw materials. Repeat until success!

Here's what you do: order raw fabric from ripstopbytheroll, dutchware, or anywhere you can by nylon, -OR- get a couple of extra-wide blanks from tableclothesfactory (crinkle taffeta makes the best hammock). Tablecloths are cheap and fun to experiment with.

Whipping: Draw in pencil the "pattern line" across the edge of the fabric rectangle that will become the hammock body. Carefully gather by hand along the line you drew. Whip using any whipping technique you want (I use Western Country Whipping because it is easy to undo).

Hanging: get or make a coupla amsteel continuous loops. Put the loops on the hammock (larkshead knot behind the whipping). Hang with cheap 1" polyprop webbing from the hardware store or anything you might already have.

Adjusting: you will probably do this a dozen times experimenting with different patterns. You can always slide the loops off and undo the whipping to get back to raw materials. Repeat until success!

This is all good stuff and useful. I really appreciate it. I ordered materials yesterday to experiment with. It's a long time before the summer backpacking season, but time flies once we get past March. I don't like to be a last minute guy. The first challenge is to get a hammock built that will give me the lay I want, then it's working out the rest of the package.... insulation, rain fly, netting, etc.... Thanks for the tips!

HW.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I am going to have to give this a go, I just got some new tablecloth blanks from Tableclothsfactory.com. I got one of the widest/longest taffeta ones, so it will be a good one to use for this.

What angle to do you hang it at? My current sleeping hammock is suspended over my bed (my wife loves it....) so I might have to make adjustments to where it's at depending on how deep this ends up being. How long does the material need to be, since you are in it sideways? can it be shorter than the 10-12' standard?

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    You've probably seen the specs and pix of commercial hammock chairs for sale online. They're not what you want, but those pix can give some clues for how to achieve the recliner shape you're aiming for. Also, they're not long enough to support your head and feet while reclining fully stretched out, unless you're only about 4 ft tall. But bear with me for a moment. Yours will be a MUCH better fit than that, and long enough besides!

The usual commercial hammock chair is typically just a rectangle of canvas about 60-72" long and about 45-48" wide when laid flat, plus some number of cords on each long side. The cords on each side are bound together at the top ends and attached to a stout spreader bar about 40" across. The whole thing is then hung overhead from the bar with a /\ cord. It's a bit fiddly to make one like that because the side cords are all cut to various lengths to make the desired curved shape. At some point you may want to make a recliner hammock with side cords instead of a huge piece of gathered fabric, but first you need to find your optimal recliner shape by whipping the ends of your very long & wide tablecloth.

What I suggest is that you don't cut your huge, already hemmed tablecloth. Just experiment with it as-is to achieve the perfect-for-you shape by whipping both 90" ends to something approximating the shape Leiavoia showed above. You might want to start by marking lines across the 90" ends with tailor's chalk and follow the lines to whip the ends to that shape. It will look like a 12+ ft long, weirdly shaped gathered-end hammock that you'll sit or lie in sideways, not diagonally. Hang to test, then tweak the whipped ends some more until it fits you as desired. I hang mine with quite a lot of sag on 2 porch swing ceiling hooks + compression springs about 45-50" apart, but that width is somewhat arbitrary. You can find your own optimal width by hanging it on a tree branch or on the top rail of a swingset, or a tensahedron stand with a short amsteel ridgeline works very well; Shug has a video with a Draumr on one. You won't need much suspension cordage if your tablecloth is the 90x156 size. It will swing head-to-foot, not side-to-side, and you'll enter & exit from the foot end (unless you're Shug, in which case anything is possible).

Later on, if you want cords instead of gathered fabric sides (for more air flow and better visibility), you could cut about 30 cords for each side at doubled lengths measured to match your optimal shape. The cords will take the place of most of the fabric, leaving only the seat width. Then cut a fabric rectangle about 48" wide x about 90"long and hem all around. Add webbing to reinforce the 90" sides, then eyelets or buttonholes or tabs for those 30 or so doubled suspension cords on each side, ending in a woven clew at the top if you like, or just a welded ring. Hang it up and enjoy & lounging sleeping in it for a while. Then post your results here with pics!

I can imagine a way to make a fully adjustable sit-up / recline / lie-flat one with straps in strategic places (poor-folks Draumr wanna-be, no pad needed) but it's complicated and still only in my head. A project for another time, perhaps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12