WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Linville Gorge 30 Dec-1 Jan

This trip report is severely delayed as I have been procrastinating and such. Entirely my fault. I made this trip on Dec 30-Jan1 of this past New Year holiday. I thought I would start the year the right way, hanging in the woods. This was also my first venture into the Gorge because I live just north of Wilmington, NC, which elicits a long drive for any mountain hiking. Long story short, I was not disappointed.

Before my trip, there was some concern regarding the condition of Kistler Highway on the west side access. While the road was often rough, it was passable by any vehicle I can think of all the way up until 2 miles short of the Pinch-In trailhead. I saw an older Mercury sedan parked at least that far. My truck was able to make it to past the one severe portion of the road, as did many other smaller trucks, SUVs, and crossovers. 4wd was never necessary, just a bit of clearance.

I started from the Pinch-In trailhead around 0820 and made it to the LGT and the beautiful campsite at the junction in 2 minutes shy of an hour. I won't lie, the trail was steep, rocky, and slick, and I was likely moving a bit faster than necessary, proven by the cut in my hand from a single fall. Be cautious out there!! Along the trail are some magnificent views of the Gorge and it really motivates you. Just down the LGT is a larger campsite right on the river that would be a great place for a small group and a night's stay. I chose to stop here for a 20 minute break and a snack.

I got hiking again along the LGT as it bounded along the river through rocky side inclines and thick brush. It was still very enjoyable and was relatively easy going. While not many water points are marked on any maps, there were plenty of crossings. This may be due to the rain we received the night prior, but it seemed like they were fairly permanent crossings. I chose to stop for lunch around 1105 at a campsite marked on the Avenza App just across from the Chimneys. There weren't many spots to hang a hammock, but definitely a good site for tents. An hour here for some summer sausage and cheese, water, and a quick power nap surrounded by the sounds of the river were exactly what my body was looking for.

I stepped off again at 1152 and about 35 minutes later was at my intended site for the night. I made it there much faster than anticipated, but I surely don't mind. I had planned on staying at one of the sites near the LGT/Conley Cove trail junction. There are three total, with a pair being very close. Calling those two a pair is a loose term, as it has essentially become one large site area. All of it was beautiful, with plenty of places for tents and hammocks alike, right on the river, and near a cleaner spring crossing for good water. Even at 1pm, it was already super windy, so I found a nice spot at the base of a hill and tucked into some rhododendrons that helped block some of the wind. I got my hammock and tarp set up, got the bear line hung (it took me a bit, I sure am glad nobody was there to see it), and took the rest of the afternoon to pour myself into the book I brought with me. I don't normally carry the extra weight, but when I am hiking alone, it is nice to have something to do in camp.

That night It got down into the 30s, very windy, with HEAVY gusts that were breaking deadfall everywhere around me. This is a good time to reiterate site selection, especially for hammocks. The tarp held up just fine with a couple adjustments and I slept plenty warm in my new Christmas gift to myself (Hammockgear Premium Incubator 20 deg). Stayed in camp until 0930 and got going, knowing I had a hard climb out of the Gorge.

The climb out was steep, rocky, and wet, but super fun and beautiful. My intent was to stay at Lost Dog Pond for the second night, but I made it there in just over an hour and there was already a couple there. I did stop for a snack and a rest. I promise I will stay here another time. The views are fantastic, but it is also very open to the wind and any rain, so prepare accordingly. Instead I hiked farther along Rock Jock to Bean Camp. I will be honest, Camp is a misleading term. It maybe had one spot that was usable for a tent. I was able to manage a spot for my hammock that actually turned out really well. The nice part about the underutilized camp is that abundance of firewood available. I was able to find more stones for minor repairs to the existing fir ring, as well as a good amount of firewood, twigs, and moss for starting a fire. With a fire going, I made a cup of Bustelo instant coffee and reflected on the many changes in my life this past year. First note on that: if you are looking for a decent instant coffee with no mocha mocha bs and no milk, Bustello is the way to go. I picked it up at the supermarket.

With another night down near freezing but with less wind, I slept really well and woke up just before sunrise. I saw an opportunity and took it. I dragged myself out of my top quilt enough to toss back one side of the tarp, go grab my food bag, and make another cup of coffee. Wrapped up and warm in my hammock, I watched the sun rise over the east rim of the Gorge. I seriously could not ask for a better way to start a year.

With the sun came warmer temps, and it was quickly over 50 degrees. I packed up and left around 920 after a quick breakfast. The hike along Rock Jock was by far the most physically demanding, and the hardest stretches of trail. It gets its name for a reason. I stoped around 1045 on the southern edge of Mossy Canyon, which was the hardest of it up to this point. It was a much needed break after that section of the trail and just before starting the 700ft vertical climb in less than half a mile. The climb out was steep, and exhausting, but once I reached the top, it was a short walk back to the parking area.

I have hiked enough of Western NC to have high expectations of trails, and I will admit that Linville Gorge is easily my favorite so far. I want to thank everyone on Linville Gorge Forums who had posted info about things like the Avenza App. For anyone going to the area for the first time, get it. Get the Linville Gorge Wilderness map. It works incredibly well and is more detailed than any other map out there. Thanks to whoever put that together. As someone who normally tries to fit as many miles as reasonably possible into a day, this was a pleasant change of pace. I was able to finish a new book, go to bed without being sore, wake up well rested, and was generally able to take my time with site seeing and taking down camp. Sometimes it is worth being reminded to stop and smell the roses.

I also have come to realize that I need to make it to a group hang. I seem to keep wanting to make small changes to my setup with each hike. Hopefully I can make it to one this year.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Great report. I've hiked a lot of miles at many different places and gorge miles can be pretty tough. It doesn't always show on the map, but lots of little up and downs in there with the big ups and downs. One of my favorite places to backpack around and I try to go once a month. The east side offers just as many views. The Is That All Ya Got Loop is a 23 mile loop that gives you the best of everything - a stretch along the river and views from the cliffs on the east side (along with a few climbs in and out of the ditch).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    Great report. I've hiked a lot of miles at many different places and gorge miles can be pretty tough. It doesn't always show on the map, but lots of little up and downs in there with the big ups and downs. One of my favorite places to backpack around and I try to go once a month. The east side offers just as many views. The Is That All Ya Got Loop is a 23 mile loop that gives you the best of everything - a stretch along the river and views from the cliffs on the east side (along with a few climbs in and out of the ditch).
    ITAYG is my next one, I think. Really looking forward to it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts