DIY Top Cover add on inside bug net...

I considered the Dutch Chameleon with moonlight top cover for the longest time but I just couldn't swing the cost. I'm sure from the reviews it is worth the cost, unless you don't have the funds, right? I'm considering a top cover mainly for winter, but, it may stay with the hammock year round as low nightly temps in the UP and N Wisco tend to end up in the mid to high 40s unexpectedly.

So I just purchased a Ridge Outdoor Gear 11' hammock with an integral bug net. It's no Chameleon, but, it is very well made and I'm happy so far. It has similar interior and exterior tie outs like the Chameleon. I want to try to add an adjustable/removable top cover.

Here's my plan. Go ahead and shoot holes in it if you just can't hold back, but, I'm really looking for constructive criticism to help me make this work.

I'm planning on taking a piece of rip-stop nylon about 11' by 50"ish and putting a seam/channel similar to a hammock on the foot end. That end will attach with a cont. loop to the foot end of the suspension similar to how the ridge line attaches, but, allowing the cover to slip under the bug net and above the ridge line the length of the hammock with a small seamed channel at the peak to keep it centered. The ridge line will carry the bulk of the weight of the top cover. The bottom edges will follow the zipper for the bug net (not sure how I'm going to anchor it at the zipper just yet, but hold on!). Just past the middle of the hammock the top cover will be lightly anchored (maybe velcro) to the sides of the hammock so that I can just roll it back toward the foot end to allow ventilation. As it cools off I can close it a bit to seal off the wind that comes from under my tarp. I will probably build it so it can close almost completely, but, I don't see me having it closed under normal winter situations. I see being able to close the windward side and opening the leeward side for ventilation. With the top cover under the bug net me thinks i can just tuck the leeward corner by the head between the ridge line and bug net. The downside to all this is a ridge line bag will be limited to an far head end or not at all unless I put a couple slots in the top cover peak to accommodate.

I'm thinking velcro is the answer for anchoring it to the bug net zipper seam. That's a lot of sewing for my skill level. I think I can do it though.

I'm open for suggestions. What part of this do you think will work and what parts are crazy?

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    1. You better be sold on the idea of topcovers - I have a Chameleon with top cover and it just traps condensation. No amount of bugnet venting will solve that. It's frustrating to wake up with your quilts, hammock and everything else soaked in condensation.
    2. You better be sold on the idea that modifying a perfectly good hammock is a good idea. Personally, I don't touch existing designs. If I wanted a totally unique setup, I would DIY it.
    3. DIY is not that hard. I'm personally not into integrated bugnets (I hate zippers), so when I make a hammock it always has a Fronkey bugnet. Zippers and I just don't get along.
    4. I've always avoided velcro in any DIY design. The less velcro in my life, the better. Me and velcro are not friends.
    5. It sounds like you're planning on potentially wrecking the only hammock you have. Why not experiment on cheaper hammocks (though the Ridge Outdoor Gear Camping Hammock sounds really cheap), like tablecloth hammocks?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Overland View Post
    Heck yeah! Thanks Overland. That gives me some great ideas. That's almost exactly what I was thinking about.

In photo two and three is there a bug net installed? I can't quite see one in those photos. I like the snap idea rather than velcro. Snaps are quieter too! I can see putting in a small number of snaps along the edges to start and adding where needed. Also, I think I'd add a short "curtain", or extra material, along the edges of the top cover that would hang down into the hammock a bit. Just three inches or so at the most. That would help seal the cover against the hammock where needed.

Do you see any issues with a top cover between the bug net and ridge line? Would making a channel along the ridge line to keep it centered make sense?

Thanks, Tim

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Yes. There is a bug net in all the pictures. It’s hard to see. In the second picture the bug net is sandwiched between the two pieces of black material reinforcement. Kamsnaps go through all three. I haven’t seen a need for material overhang; however I’m hanging in North Georgia. Coldest temperatures I’ve dealt with have been upper 20’s. I like the cover outside the bug net. It’s easier to remove when not needed.
    Last edited by Overland; 02-17-2020 at 21:01. Reason: Correct spelling

That all makes sense. Thanks for your input.

My hammock doesn't have zippers on each side, so, I'm thinking moving the top cover back away from over my head may be easier with it inside rather than outside. Time will tell. Ill mostly be in N Wisco, UP Mich and N Mn. Rarely do our summer nights stay above 70. More commonly 50s.

Working on a prototype out of an old bed sheet. Seems to work OK. Going to try buttons or toggles instead of snaps with the prototype as there are already loops inside on eight places along the hammock edge which may work great with small toggles. Adding a few more loops is easy and not very destructive if I decide to remove them. It may change from prototype to final product if I find it not too heavy and functions well. I know it will breathe better than nylon. And, I think this prototype will work outside as well as inside the bug net as the tie outs on the Ridge Outdoors are accessible on both inside and outside of the zipper. So I think I will have options for either placement.

Also, I don't see removing it very often. It's more of a wind block than anything. When I spent a night out in about 20 degree weather a couple weeks ago the constant breeze bothered me. I don't like my face covered too much. Air movement is fine. A breeze that was probably zero wind chill was a little too much.
    Last edited by Nafooey; 02-18-2020 at 16:31.

• + New Posts