Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    That type of shackle is designed to be used for semi-permanent connections, as it seems you are doing. It's not a shackle that would be super easy to use in the backcountry where you want simple and fast connect/disconnect. Aside from the fiddle factor, it would be much too easy to lose the pin in the duff. Also, of course, the gram weenies would contest your statement about being "not particularly heavy"!
    LOL. I recently got 5 carbon fiber stakes that weigh only 2 grams each. My brain would explode using those shackles. Only whiskey gets a pass for weight.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    Soft shackles are popular for attaching various suspension parts, but does anyone use conventional stainless steel sailing-type shackles?
    They're compact, strong, cheap, and not particularly heavy.
    I typically suspend my hammock off a long double-whoopie-ridgeline (this one is separable into ridgeline and whoopsie slings, but they haven't always been). I use alpine butterfly loops to hang the hammock. I have generally used marlin spike toggles to attach my hammock suspension loops to the alpine butterfly loops, but wondered about using a shackle instead.
    So I did.
    It works just fine, and gives enough of a "key" to suspend an underquilt from as well.
    And now that's how I store my hammock, with the whoopies and ridgeline attached. Can separate then when I need to, but usually don't.
    Thoughts?
    Knots are more compact than any hardware, plenty strong, free and weigh nothing.

There's nothing "wrong" with what you're doing... simply responding to basic criteria as presented. I just don't see a problem for which the hard shackle is a better solution.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-14-2020 at 22:02.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    LOL. I recently got 5 carbon fiber stakes that weigh only 2 grams each. My brain would explode using those shackles. Only whiskey gets a pass for weight.
    And maybe high-end chocolate... (That whiskey should probably be a single malt too!)

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Knots are more compact than any hardware, plenty strong, free and weigh nothing.
    Amsteel isn't exactly "free" but then a soft shackle doesn't use all that much, especially if you have some around. But that's just the point. The OP had the SS shackles and, after all, it's a home setup where weight doesn't matter and he's not packing it up every night.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Amsteel isn't exactly "free" but then a soft shackle doesn't use all that much, especially if you have some around. But that's just the point. The OP had the SS shackles and, after all, it's a home setup where weight doesn't matter and he's not packing it up every night.
    OP said the hard shackle "isn't particularly heavy" which indicates a weight concern. Yes, definitely not a factor in a home setup, so I'm not sure why it was mentioned. But I'm one of those gram-weenie wankers so I notice such things.

Of course you must have CL and suspension, but if the connection is a knot vs a biner/shackle/whatever, the knot is free.

Not trying to pick nits here, just responding to OP's spec.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    And maybe high-end chocolate... (That whiskey should probably be a single malt too!)
    Everyone knows single malt is lightest.

Everyone knows single malt is lightest.
    I just might opt for a "heavier" Islay...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    OP said the hard shackle "isn't particularly heavy" which indicates a weight concern. Yes, definitely not a factor in a home setup, so I'm not sure why it was mentioned.
    Mentioned because I know some here are meticulous gram counters.

A shackle is 14 grams. Half an ounce. And that's for a 5mm pin size, which is superfluous for the job.
    I don't have a load rated 'biner handy, but they're surely on a par. And, for that matter, so is any reasonable marlin spike.
    Last edited by barefoot; 02-15-2020 at 02:47.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Also, of course, the gram weenies would contest your statement about being "not particularly heavy"!
    Quote Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    A shackle is 14 grams.
    I have found Tom's statement very prophetic. Indeed people freak out.
    However, if you had said you were using a Dutchwear clasp you would have been lauded and praised as being an enlightened hammocker.
    Never mind Cinch Buckles are 28g each and the more expensive Ti Cinch buckles and Adutchable clips are 12g each.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 02-15-2020 at 10:40.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

LOL on the whiskey!

I was using CF Ruta Locura stakes for a while.. liked then well enough until the metal tip came off of one deep in the ground. Didn't notice it gone until I walked away and there was little chance I could locate the spot to dig it up.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast