DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel

Anyone paint their Tensa 4 stand?

I was wondering if anyone has painted their Tensa 4 stand, or if you could recommend a paint? I know it will get scratched up when it is collapsed, I would just like to reduce the shine a bit. I made a Turtle Dog Stand where I wet sanded the conduit with rubbing alcohol, then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and then painted it with Rustoleum enamel. It is holding up okay outside, but what would you recommend for aluminum? BTW, so far I had the Tensa 4 stand set up for about 5 hours and it is great! Much sturdier than my 8' paint pole DIY (which was not long enough). It adds a lot of hammocking potential wherever we go.

Images
    I recall one that Latherdome had, which I think was anodized. That's the ideal way to colorize, though certainly not the cheapest to have it done professionally.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has painted their Tensa 4 stand, or if you could recommend a paint? I know it will get scratched up when it is collapsed, I would just like to reduce the shine a bit. I made a Turtle Dog Stand where I wet sanded the conduit with rubbing alcohol, then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and then painted it with Rustoleum enamel. It is holding up okay outside, but what would you recommend for aluminum? BTW, so far I had the Tensa 4 stand set up for about 5 hours and it is great! Much sturdier than my 8' paint pole DIY (which was not long enough). It adds a lot of hammocking potential wherever we go.
    See post three in this thread https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...uminum-157007/ assuming you have one of the later anodised Tensa 4 stands (if it has stayed shiny it's almost certainly the anodised variety). It would probably help to have each piece quite warm when you apply the paint. If you have a friendly local paint shop nearby they may spray them for you in their oven. Paint will wear off over time especially along the edge of the indented profile. You should be able to do a pretty good gob with the right prep work.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I recall one that Latherdome had, which I think was anodized. That's the ideal way to colorize, though certainly not the cheapest to have it done professionally.
    Anodising is the best option but the current raw anodised surface would need to be removed which would make it very expensive. Power coating is the next best finish for ally but that's also costly. Powder coat can be applied to anodised aluminium though so that would remove the need to strip the surface.

There are lots of videos on Ytube about diy anodising and powder coating.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Thanks for the replies! I suppose I was hoping for some sort of magic paint. Your suggestions sound like the best solutions, but too expensive for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Thanks for the replies! I suppose I was hoping for some sort of magic paint. Your suggestions sound like the best solutions, but too expensive for me.
    If you follow the link in my first post that gives the paint solution. You need to apply an etching coat first if you want the best adhesion. If you want to diy at home then you would probably be better off waiting for warmer weather imho. Unless you have a space heater and somewhere suitable to work. You can use aerosol paint products no problem. Good prep is the key to a nice durable finish.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I just looked at that link and it was very informative. I have some non-anodized aluminum, and I would rather not remove that protective coat. So I may just paint it and live with the paint flaking or scratching off. Or, since I am into sewing oudoor things that look terrible but are functional, I may sew some snakeskins for the poles. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    I just looked at that link and it was very informative. I have some non-anodized aluminum, and I would rather not remove that protective coat. So I may just paint it and live with the paint flaking or scratching off. Or, since I am into sewing oudoor things that look terrible but are functional, I may sew some snakeskins for the poles. Thank you all for your suggestions!
    You could try doing a vinyl wrap on the tubes. It's relatively cheap and an easy DIY job, that would give you a nice finish. It's also non-destructive so you can easily swap back to the original finish or replace it if it becomes too scratched up. The only tricky part would be the indent running down the length of the tubes.

Hydro dipping is another method of applying paint. Lots of stuff on Ytube about that. It would be a great way to apply a camouflage pattern.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Paint adhesion will be very poor. Thicker coatings like powder coat will interfere with the telescoping and be expensive. We chose clear anodizing because inevitable scratches and extensive edge machining blend in, and anodized colors tend to fade in sunlight. If you want duller, suggest a coarser grade of scotchbrite and scour away. If you scrub clean through the anodizing, though, corrosion will leave a dark gray smut on your hands.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 02-11-2020 at 18:01.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Here ya go.. this'll color up your tensa beautifully. Dirty cheap, "no scratch" guarantee for life and works on anodized aluminum with absolutely ZERO prep or stripping required. Ready for use immediately after application.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast