View Poll Results: What shopping style best describes your hammock gear purchases

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Onestop Shopping

2 7.41%
  • Muliple stop shopping

14 51.85%
  • Vendor Specific shopping

5 18.52%
  • Activity specific shopping

13 48.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Question Gear Purchasing - Centered around hammocks or nay

I have a curious question that has been bugging me for the duration of my hanging experience. I have always wondered if the majority of folks here purchase gear centered around their endeavour of hammock hanging/hiking perhaps, or if the majority of folks here make purchases that are outdoor related but might not have a specific purpose only that it would be in the outdoors.

UPDATE: Forgive me but I just "discovered" you can do polls. Although I HATE THEM IN GENERAL in this subcontext I think it the best option as I am curious I guess what "most people" prefer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'm not sure I fully understand the question but voted for multi-stop.

I am a backpacker/hiker who likes to sleep off the ground. I shop all over the place, including hammock (Activity) specific sites. Sadly most generic outdoor shops sell crappy generic hammock gear or none at all.

I looked at my 'Outdoor Vendors' bookmarks... they are all over the place. The majority have something to do with lightweight gear (no surprise to me) but there are plastic vendors (bags and bottles), cordage vendors, fabric of all sorts, military over-stock, name brand outdoor stores, big box stores, clothing, cottage manufacturers... Yep, multi stop.

Funny thing.. as I think back to my purchases over the last 12-18 months.. most have been from vendors that don't sell a single piece of hammock specific gear (discounted by the fact that I replaced all of my quilts this year).
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm pretty much set on hammock-specific gear, so it's usually just new backpacking gear for me. I get on Amazon, think "what don't I need today?" and start adding that stuff to my cart. If I let it stew in my cart for several weeks I trick myself into justifying it, no longer being an impulse buy.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, not sure I'm getting the point. Are you looking for how we shop for hammock related gear, or outdoor gear in general? Like, do I go to Dutch for outdoor gear in general? Do I go to REI for hammock stuff? Personally, I'm all over the map for this, that and the other that might be hammock related but is for sure outdoor related. To me, they're one and the same since hammock hanging is my outdoor activity.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Yeah, not sure I'm getting the point. Are you looking for how we shop for hammock related gear, or outdoor gear in general? Like, do I go to Dutch for outdoor gear in general? Do I go to REI for hammock stuff? Personally, I'm all over the map for this, that and the other that might be hammock related but is for sure outdoor related. To me, they're one and the same since hammock hanging is my outdoor activity.
    Yeah pretty much if your outdoor shopping is hammock related or if you I guess compartmentalize it - ex. REI is kind of a onestop shop that has a lot of different things mostly outdoor related and a small section of commercial hammock gear.
    Then you have hammock specific one stop shops like dutchware perhaps rip stop by the roll.
    I don't know Just made me wonder if more people are looking for a single store that has all of their needs.
    Seems like as Hammock camping is getting more popular, and the commercial landscape regarding gear and items related to hammock specific camping has grown to a point where.......I don't know I suspect you're going to see companies start buying each other at some point I mean there can only be so much diversity and then at some point someone's going to aggregate everything right.
    Maybe it's just me I'm just curious where this is going

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

I'm more along the lines of hammock-centered gear too. Don't need anything but really just refining gear.

Still think I'm missing something regarding why thread was started...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Ah, I see. I guess I'll go with activity specific. If I want hammock stuff, I don't go to an outdoor store, but I do like that a lot of hammock vendors have broadened their line of products. I still find that outdoor stores hold some appeal, though I find it increasingly hard to use my 20% coupon at REI.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Not sure I fully understand the question. I make purchases to support my backpacking hobby. Hammocking is an aspect that supports the hobby but is not the focus... Similar to cooking gear is not the focus but an aspect.

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    I shop for all things outdoors. Im an overlander so my truck is built for long trips in remote locations but I enjoy hiking civilized trails and also backcountry camping too. I do primitive bushcraft, although not as much as I used to, and I also glamp. Im ok with going a week without a shower and having the time of my life but I also enjoy sleeping in my truck tents on 4" of memory foam and having a hot shower/running water and a fridge in my truck. I guess what Im trying to say is I dont have a choice but to shop everywhere. There isn't a one-stop-shop for me. Hammocks are relatively new for me. I have done a ton of shopping for hammock gear but I still buy tent gear too. Ive only been into hammocks for a little over a year but Ive already bought from just about every cottage vendor out there. There are very few brands Im attached to. There are, however, a few materials im attached to (Dyneema for one).
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Not sure I fully understand the question. I make purchases to support my backpacking hobby. Hammocking is an aspect that supports the hobby but is not the focus... Similar to cooking gear is not the focus but an aspect.
    funny way of asking if you prefer to shop at like say wally world since you only have to "shop" there and all of your basic needs are done or are your needs highly specific and require you (maybe you prefer to shop at many places too?) to shop several places to fit all your needs is another way of stating it. I responded with this quote below to a similar question - hopefully this clarifies stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Yeah pretty much if your outdoor shopping is hammock related or if you I guess compartmentalize it - ex. REI is kind of a onestop shop that has a lot of different things mostly outdoor related and a small section of commercial hammock gear.
    Then you have hammock specific one stop shops like dutchware perhaps rip stop by the roll.
    I don't know Just made me wonder if more people are looking for a single store that has all of their needs.
    Seems like as Hammock camping is getting more popular, and the commercial landscape regarding gear and items related to hammock specific camping has grown to a point where.......I don't know I suspect you're going to see companies start buying each other at some point I mean there can only be so much diversity and then at some point someone's going to aggregate everything right.
    Maybe it's just me I'm just curious where this is going. [IMHO I see a few of our cottage vendors positioned well if things do start to become condensed some that are trying to catch up with other vendors and now are offering more than they started out with - beyond their initial specialization lets say - and others that may be collateral damage and disappear as larger and richer companies buy up the market]

Sorry this wasn't more clear and hopefully this does clear it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast