Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
Excellent break down. Very helpful and correct me if I am wrong but... - To perhaps summarize; you feel DCF (Cuben Fiber) is not well suited to windy(ier) situations where sustained winds with moderate to strong wind gust conditions exist. More or less due to DCF not stretching or perhaps stated another way, being unable to ease the sudden stress applied by sustained and gusting winds.

Any way what would be your choice of tarps if you could have only one and you needed the best performance in all conditions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The failure more if truly analyzed would probably resemble the failure of other composite structures in a vibratory or LCF environment. In that the matrix degrades and separates from the fibers. When the fibers are no longer combined with the matrix they do not share the load and individual fibers can be overloaded and suffer tensile failure one by one as the structure unzips and fully fails.

That is, in the flapping the strands become detached from the Mylar, or the Mylar fails and then the fibers break one by one until there is not enough left to hold and zip it comes apart.