Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
    Would there be any difference in using a braided polyester tarp line compared to something like Zing-It? Maybe a little more forgiving?
    I don't think so. And you don't want a stretchy cord anyway.

Polyester is also low stretch, and the cords I use—Lawson Glowire and Guywire—have a jacket/core (kernmantle) construction with the core being Spectra (?) or some such. Break strength of 1.75mm Zing-it published as ~500lb and 2mm Glowire as ~250lb, so for the application you're looking at mega-overkill and slight overkill on strength.

But Zing-it is spliceable and Glowire/Guywire are not, although they are great at holding friction knots and Zing-it is not at all.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ...the cords I use—Lawson Glowire and Guywire—have a jacket/core (kernmantle) construction with the core being Spectra (?) or some such.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think it's Spectra. The sheath and core melt together pretty easily, and Spectra/Dyneema lines don't melt very well in my experience.

Guywire/Glowire:
    "High Tenacity Polyester Jacket w/ High Tenacity Parallel Fiber Core. Jacket and Core Melt Together."

Another Lawson product, Ironwire, states:
    "High Tenacity Polyester Jacket w/ Dyneema SK75 Parallel Fiber Core."
    but it doesn't mention the sheath and core having the ability to melt together.

+1 for the product though. Great cordage.

Glowire/Guywire is definitely not UHMWPE core, that's Iron wire.

Although it's low stretch it may just have enough give a little elasticity to the system. If the trees are moving due to strong wind, having some stretch may be good and plenty of folk have been rigging tarps with paracord for years. I have certainly been bounced about in my hammock during a storm, a non-stretch tarp ridgeline, pitched tight would certainly transfer all the load to the tarp.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
    Glowire/Guywire is definitely not UHMWPE core, that's Iron wire.

Although it's low stretch it may just have enough give a little elasticity to the system. If the trees are moving due to strong wind, having some stretch may be good and plenty of folk have been rigging tarps with paracord for years. I have certainly been bounced about in my hammock during a storm, a non-stretch tarp ridgeline, pitched tight would certainly transfer all the load to the tarp.
    I use a continuous (one-piece) RL with the tarp suspended below it with prusiks, so stress to the tarp doesn't increase much at all, and tension on the tarp can be adjusted separately, which of course can be done other ways using hardware. I never adjust it so that the tarp is super-taut. This is why I do not favor split RLs for tarps in general, and especially not for DCF tarps.

“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    If you take out the human setup factor, flexing tree trunks, no stretch ridgeline/tie-outs lines etc ect....DCF Tarp materials are structurally stronger of than Sil-Poly.

I like a bit of stretch in my tie-outs/ridgeline, 2mm accessory cord, it's a personal thing....in my mind something has to give a little if your being pummeled by a big blow, flexing tree trunks tossing you around in your hammock.
    I choose a little line stretch over a tarp blowout, projectile stakes or tie-out failure. A shredded tarp in the rainy darkness doesn't appeal to me.
    If it means I have to get up & retention the lines, no problem....although thinking about it, adjusting from my hammock would be the bee's knees. I'll look into it.
    Last edited by ofuros; 02-13-2020 at 19:03.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I use a continuous (one-piece) RL with the tarp suspended below it with prusiks, so stress to the tarp doesn't increase much at all, and tension on the tarp can be adjusted separately, which of course can be done other ways using hardware. I never adjust it so that the tarp is super-taut. This is why I do not favor split RLs for tarps in general, and especially not for DCF tarps.
    Same here - tried the split ridgeline for five minutes and decided it wasn't for me.

I also tried the ridgeline under my DCF tarp - that lasted less than five minutes. I didn't like the ridgeline rubbing against the tarp, then I noticed that the ridgeline was catching the adhesive that bonds the DCF pieces together.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I still switch between split and continuous RLs. I like the idea of the RL taking all the stress and being able to slack out the tarp and relieve some of the tension from potential tree sway, but the split lines are so easy to work with...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I still switch between split and continuous RLs. I like the idea of the RL taking all the stress and being able to slack out the tarp and relieve some of the tension from potential tree sway, but the split lines are so easy to work with...
    I'm thinking of this scenario: Tarp pitched with the foot end into the wind, attached to a big, strong oak with little flex, and head end tied to a smaller beech that bends a lot. Could be a significant amount of extra tension when it's really breezy.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My set is looks like an oval track around the two support trees - with one side of the track being the tarp. That has worked for a couple of years but I've been in milder weather. In stronger blows, I hadn't embraced snakeskin covers and had to find other shelter because the wind won the battle (last two times, using skins, set up in wind was comparably easy-peasy).

But this summer I think I try just a ridge line from tree to tree and prussic the tarp on that line. I've been avoiding that method because position adjustment - which always seems to need tweaking - means I have to move one end, then the other. But I'm not in a race (except with my tent pals - and that's an easy win). I like taking any "pull" on the ridge line completely off the tarp. The wind might push on the tarp but I've learned that as much as possible, I put the small (door) side of the tarp towards with wind and it gets additional blocking from the tree support.

I used to think, "Ridge line over in the summer, under in the winter if I'm concerned with snow load." But now I'm imagining that if I hang some little something on that ridge line, it will pull it down just enough so it doesn't continually rub on the tarp.

Not sure about that logic because if the wind is not blowing, there isn't much rub anyway. If it's a strong wind, even if the under ridge line is pull down at the center, there would be more rubbing than if the ridge line were above. So maybe it depends on expected weather conditions.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I hated the crl when i used to use it
    I have been using dutchess stingers on 12' of lashit and love the system
    I have had 2 split rings come apart (1) totally let go and the other time it just held on
    Each time no tarp damage
    In use a superfly in silnylon
    I now install an extra split ring on each ridgeline tie out on said tarp as a backup
    If it matters I ditched the shock cord on my tie out points years ago without issue.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast