Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Tree Strap attachment at the tree, non-hardware options.

What are people’s thoughts about various non-hardware attachment methods for the tree strap to itself at the tree?
    I have been using soft shackles for a while now and found them difficult to us because opening the small loop can be difficult. Particularly with cold hands.
    Last week at the TrailHeadz hang I was introduced to an expanded soft shackle with a bigger loop that allows one handed disassembly, like an EVO Loop, a locked Brummell soft shackle, also known as the figure 8 loop. Then there is the EVO Loop.

All are very similar with the basic difference being, where, how and if the lines are passed through each other.

Playing with them on my tree straps I am finding I am liking the locked Brummell shackle best. It is a smidge harder to make then an EVO loop, But it is a smidge easier to set and take apart than the EVO loop.

What are your thoughts?

Capture.JPG
    Top to bottom:
    Traditional Soft Shackle
    Expanded Soft Shackle - bigger adjustable loop than the Traditional soft shackle
    Locked Brummell shackle (figure 8 shackle)
    EVO Loop

All shackles were made using 36"of 7/64 Amsteel. 10" loop and button knot tied with 8" of line.
    Traditional: one line passed through the other forming a 1/4" loop and 9" Loop.
    Expanded: one line passed through the other forming a 3" loop and 6" loop.
    Locked Brummell: Locked Brummell to form a 3" loop & 6" loop.
    EVO: straight 9" loop.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 02-09-2020 at 22:26.

But hardware is so easy to use...

Images
    I just use a sewn eye in the strap itself. It’s the simplest solution, has nothing you can lose, requires no extra materials, adds no weight, and costs nothing.

Using this technique requires that you not already have the strap on the hammock though, as with cinch buckles. Using whoopies or tying directly to CLs works well with this.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I... those all look the same to me. >.<

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I just use a sewn eye in the strap itself. It’s the simplest solution, has nothing you can lose, requires no extra materials, adds no weight, and costs nothing.

Using this technique requires that you not already have the strap on the hammock though, as with cinch buckles. Using whoopies or tying directly to CLs works well with this.
    I used that same technique for a while also. However, I found myself needing to adjust the position of the strap on the tree, over a branch or other obstruction, that the convenience of being able to undo the tree connection without dropping the whole rig to the ground justified the inclusion of detachable joint.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And there is Grapplers Hitch

Which one you choose is up to you.

Maybe use what you got, and or use method that is easiest to couple and uncouple...
    Although I advise, best to use a method that uses an adjustable loop that diminishes in size to trap button knot and make it extremely unlikely to come undone by itself. To me, a button knot that just sits in a large unadjustable loop and relies on loop becoming a narrow slit once weighted is slightly more risky than aforementioned adjustable loop...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For smaller trees that are not too far apart, I just tie the strap directly to the tree with a slipped buntline, which is adjustable.

Otherwise I will use the Evo loop with the small loop that goes through the sewn loop on the strap. And there is another method that uses a double girth hitch with the button captured in the knot itself. Evo is definitely handy when you want to move the strap up or down and there are small branches in the way.

Evo_button_basic.jpg Evo_button_basic_02.jpg Evo_button_loop-de-loop_03.jpg

I first saw this on a Jeff Myers video but I think it is the same as Grappler's Hitch. Easy to use with gloves on, both putting up and taking down the suspension.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-10-2020 at 07:58.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As most straps come with a loop sewn in at one end - maybe both - you could just use that. But as others have mentioned, that assumes you will place the strap at the correct place on the tree the first time. My experience is there is usually a little fiddling once the gear is initially setup. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not. BUT, sometimes just an little adjustment results in a lot of comfort value.

When I just run the "tail" through the sewn loop, then need to make an adjustment, I usually have to disconnect the hammock and often slide the tail back out of the loop to reposition it on the tree. There are times when I can hold the hammock under my arm to take the tension off, then loosen the loop around the tree and move it up or down. But usually I have to take the assembly apart to deal with branches.

Having a "disconnect" at the tree, be it a carabiner, DutchClip, or soft shackle of various styles, makes those "after thought" adjustments easier.

I'm liking what I see with the EVO shackle that is permentantly looped on the webbing. Nothing to forget to bring; nothing to leave at the camp ground. If I still want to just slide the tail in the sewn loop, or use a DutchClip, I still can (with the soft shackle attached). But with the attached soft shackle, I'll ALWAYS have a solution.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    All of my RLs have spliced in diamond knots that get captured.. not unlike a Grapplers Hitch or evo loop. Don’t what we are calling this

Easy to do in the dark. And ok to do with gloves on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    All of my RLs have spliced in diamond knots that get captured.. not unlike a Grapplers Hitch or evo loop. Don’t what we are calling this

Anne Marrie calls that her figure-8 loop (Locked Brummell Loop). She is the one I met at the TrailHeadz hang that initiated all this. After have hung my hammock a few times since then, I am starting to prefer this Figure-8 loop a smidge more than the EVO loop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast