Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies

Question Premium Under Quilt Recommendations

Hey all,

I’m in the market for a new under quilt and I’d like to get the best one out there for my needs. Price isn’t the most important factor, I just want to get the best performing under quilt.

Looking for a full length, 20-30* down quilt with draft blockers, a great suspension system and low weight. I’ll be using this with a Dutchware Chameleon. Will also be getting the highest fill power available.

I’m primarily considering the HG Custom Premium Incubator and the UGQ Custom Zeppelin. Any others I should really take a look at? Users who have those models, what do you like/not like about them? What specs are yours and would you change something if you could go back and do it again?

Comparing the UGQ and the HG, they seem pretty similar. UGQ has a bit more fill and is heavier, HG a bit lighter and less fill. Otherwise, they seem to be pretty close. Are there any significant differences that I’m missing? If you could only pick one, which one would you pick?

Seems like both the HG and UGQ are really nice and they’ll both be a great option...I’m struggling to decide which one is best. Help me decide please!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Check out:
    Outdoorsman outfitters
    Walhalla hammocks
    Cedar ridge outdoors

Those guys are the best of the best for quilts.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I use a wookie with my chameleon and have never been cold or had to adjust it since I switched from traditional UQs. That would be my recommendation.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Loco libre too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have 0deg and 20deg HG Incubators and they work great for me. My 20deg actually gets me down to 20°F, and 0 also lives up to its rating.

Get the premium with 67 Argon and highest FP down and it's hard to beat.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Nice, thanks for the info!

Do you find that you're able to push the limit of your under quilt like you are a top quilt? I have a 30* top quilt that I use for ground sleeping. I know that if the temps drop into the 20's, I can layer up and still stay warm "enough". I'd prefer to carry a 30 to save some weight and still get me into the 20's in a pinch. Typically, if it's going to be below freezing, I'm going to ground with a warmer pad and a full mummy bag. I just like to have a little wiggle room for those nights where it floats right around freezing.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grimm0614 View Post
    Nice, thanks for the info!

Do you find that you're able to push the limit of your under quilt like you are a top quilt? I have a 30* top quilt that I use for ground sleeping. I know that if the temps drop into the 20's, I can layer up and still stay warm "enough". I'd prefer to carry a 30 to save some weight and still get me into the 20's in a pinch. Typically, if it's going to be below freezing, I'm going to ground with a warmer pad and a full mummy bag. I just like to have a little wiggle room for those nights where it floats right around freezing.
    For me UQ is harder to "push" because any additional layers I wear—which is a strategy I use regularly—get compressed and lose most of their insulating value. But not all, so they're generally good for a few degrees.

Just 2 nights ago I used a 30deg TQ and a 20deg UQ down to about 16°F and was very comfortable while wearing down parka and down pants. I wouldn't want to go a whole bunch lower, however. Under a HG Palace tarp pitched low and light wind, so not really a factor.

If I really want to push things I'll wear my Lightheart Gear Rain parka and pants as vapor barrier (VB), which are made of non-breathable silnylon. Worn under the main insulating layers they can add several degrees to the UQ rating and a solid 15 degrees or more to the TQ rating. Earlier this year I used a 0deg UQ with a 30deg TQ and was totally comfortable—almost too warm!—at 12°F when using VB in this manner.

But all this is highly subjective and individual, and the usual YMMV caveat applies. Gotta get out and test for yourself to see what works. Wind alone can really wreak havoc with the best-laid plans.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    For pushing the UQ a few extra degrees, you could also consider carrying an underquilt protector (UQP). A loose-fitting layer of wind-resistant fabric that covers the UQ, this piece can help the UQ retain a bit more heat that could otherwise be lost to convective heat transfer. Even with plenty of tarp coverage to block wind, the addition of a UQP will still help the UQ retain a little more heat than it would without. Think of how you'd feel if you put on a thin wind shirt. Even if there's no wind at all, you'll feel warmer than if you take that layer off.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Cool, good to know. I fully plan to expand my UQ lineup in the future, but as this is my first one, I wanted to get one that would work in as many conditions as I need it to as possible. Seems like the 30* is a good middle ground for my use case (30*+). In the future, I'll probably invest in a 0* and maybe a 3/4 length 50*.

I'm a pretty average sleeper I'd say. I too am happy to wear a variety of layers to regulate temp. I'm bringing them anyway so why not use them. The VBL rain layers are a great way to really boost your warmth.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Yes! This is a great idea to get a few more degrees when it's right around the limit. I was thinking about getting a UQ Protector anyway so this is probably the way I'll go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast