Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    If econ, hg hands down. Great product for the price.
    But if I'm spending premium prices, ugq.
    The hg uq leaves me with cold spots and isnt wide enough - I'm mostly a minority here however.
    Ugq customization is awesome.
    I dislike the hg econ fabric compared to argon or m10 for a tq. That said, if I didnt have anything to compare to to, i would be disappointed in it.

Either are great options. No wrong choice here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    If econ, hg hands down. Great product for the price.
    But if I'm spending premium prices, ugq.
    The hg uq leaves me with cold spots and isnt wide enough - I'm mostly a minority here however.
    Ugq customization is awesome.
    I dislike the hg econ fabric compared to argon or m10 for a tq. That said, if I didnt have anything to compare to to, i would be disappointed in it.

Either are great options. No wrong choice here.
    Definitely more fabric choices from UGQ - even printed fabric.
    The Membrane 10 from RipstopByTheRoll that UGQ has as an option is one of my favorite materials for a topquilt.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    After watching that video I lost a bit of respect for UGQ. He basically said that after they got a bad review from Darwin (who has a substantial following) they stopped with Youtube for a while. But then in the next sentence he goes on to say they don't care if they give a bad review. If you pay attention to Youtube, you'll notice that they've changed their method in dealing with reviewrs: they've done a partnership with channels.
    Yup, we needed to grow a thicker skin after the Darwin video and have done so. We now take any possible negatives in a review and use them to improve our products for our customers. YT marketing is the fastest growing avenue for social media marketing, Chad has worked hard to not only develop a professional relationship but also a friendship with many these YT channels. They all have expressed their appreciation for the personal contact, trips, and the friendships that have been developed. Personally I believe it helps these channels to put a human face on our company by having this personal contact as well as the professional contact.

At the end of the day we have no expectations or control over the content being provided by the YT channels. Our goal is to gain brand awareness and that happens with a glowing review or a negative review. Pretty much all the vendors send out gear to reviewers whether they be YT channels, blogs, or other social media outlets. Like it or not it's part of the game now as the industry matures and the marketing strategies develop. Almost all of the original small cottage companies have experienced exponential growth in the past 5 years and as we have grown it has become more and more important to build our brand recognition, it's not just me in the basement anymore and I have commitments and responsibilities to my employees.

Now on these YT channels, many started out as hobbies and many of them have developed into a full time business, some even have staff to handle all the traffic, edit video, marketing for their channels, etc. There is a whole new industry setup to provide support to many of the larger channels. YT is currently the new Madison Ave of marketing and for us not to engage with that audience would be a poor business decision, we need to market where the audiences are, it's as simple as that. Some will agree and some will disagree with that thought process, and it's easy to do so sat behind a computer, but when you have a staff with families to support the decision is fairly easier to make.
    Last edited by sr1355; 02-10-2020 at 14:40.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Yup, we needed to grow a thicker skin after the Darwin video and have done so. We now take any possible negatives in a review and use them to improve our products for our customers. YT marketing is the fastest growing avenue for social media marketing, Chad has worked hard to not only develop a professional relationship but also a friendship with many these YT channels. They all have expressed their appreciation for the personal contact, trips, and the friendships that have been developed. Personally I believe it helps these channels to put a human face on our company by having this personal contact as well as the professional contact.

At the end of the day we have no expectations or control over the content being provided by the YT channels. Our goal is to gain brand awareness and that happens with a glowing review or a negative review. Pretty much all the vendors send out gear to reviewers whether they be YT channels, blogs, or other social media outlets. Like it or not it's part of the game now as the industry matures and the marketing strategies develop. Almost all of the original small cottage companies have experienced exponential growth in the past 5 years and as we have grown it has become more and more important to build our brand recognition, it's not just me in the basement anymore and I have commitments and responsibilities to my employees.

Now on these YT channels, many started out as hobbies and many of them have developed into a full time business, some even have staff to handle all the traffic, edit video, marketing for their channels, etc. There is a whole new industry setup to provide support to many of the larger channels. YT is currently the new Madison Ave of marketing and for us not to engage with that audiences would be a poor business decision, we need to market where the audiences are, it's as simple as that. Some will agree and some will disagree with that thought process, and it's easy to do so sat behind a computer, but when you have a staff with families to support the decision is fair easier to make.
    Fret not Paul.
    Your tried and true customers get you and the new ones will as well. I know that Spigver utilizes your gear as do several other YT folks, all to my knowledge share my opinion with your company. I hopefully speak for many others when I say that I respect your commitment to your staff and to hear that stated publicly is huge for me. Your staff - IMHO - will always be your most valuable asset for numerous reasons that don't need to be specified. Top Notch Sir.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have UQ's and or TQ's from Hammock Gear, Arrowhead, Cedar Ridge, UGQs, EE, and Warbonnet and a couple from companies no longer in business. Some I have been using close to 10 years now. All are very good and I would not hesitate to purchase from any of them again.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It's sort of like asking a parent, "Which one is your favorite child?" My quilts come from HG, UGQ, and WildernessLogics; even one via KickStarter. They were either purchased new or obtained via the ForSale sub-forum. I've had excellent customer service with HG. The UGQ with sewn foot box is toasty warm, and the no longer WildernessLogics made my summer "day hike" quilts.

The frustration when looking for "the best" is they are all good. So it tosses the responsibility back on the buyer to determine what is important to them - fabric weight, color choice, etc.

I think it's like sea kayaks. These days they are all good; it's more a matter of fit. Like same size pants from two manufacturers fitting differently, so one person may fit better in one kayak than another. But it doesn't mean that "another" is poorly made.

There can be an obsession to making, "the right choice" and in some circumstances that's important. But it's also important to just "make a choice" and go forward with that.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock Gear, for sure, although UGQ ain’t bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12