Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, AHE, LLCP
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images

Hanging from basement joists

I've been hanging from 8' 2x4's bolted on large strap hinges to basement floor joists. The 2x4's angle away from the hammock each with a 15' spread and uses eyebolts on the 2x4's for different attachment points for multiple hammock setups that include the Amok Dramur XL, Blackbird XLC, Chameleon, Raven, and Ridgerunner. I use two eyebolts in addition to standard bolts to hold the strap hinges that serve as a simple connection for a safety strap connecting to hammock straps.

The advantages of this system; you don't have to hang from 8 feet from the basement "ceiling" and it swings up and attaches to the ceiling out of the way. One end is close to a wall so it is cut and bolted together with 16 inch Samson Strong Tie Plates. These can be separated on a few minutes if needed. Doing this is necessary for a lot of basement setups since there is a 15' spread and 2 8' 2x4's so the "stored system" would cover a little over 30 feet.

IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1455.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That's pretty cool! I went lazy mode and just drilled a hole in the joists. I put a 2' amsteel loop thru so I could reach it easily to clip on a carabiner. But if you don't have a 20' open area that won't work.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    You're hanging from 8' 2x4s?!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Cool idea to be able to fold them up out of the way. I am not sure I would trust 2x4s to hold my fat butt up there while I thrash around in my hammock, but if it works, it works.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    WBXLC, Chameleon, RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, AHE, LLCP
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I was surprised that the 2x4's held me at 190. Used thick pads under me at first and only hung at 18 inches. I have a safety system with my tie offs that I tested using mule tape and weights and a sacrificial tablecloth. Worked great! Important to do that and use eyebolts to attach a safety strap system.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Just a note to others thinking about this system. It is better to drill joists nearer to the top than the bottom to maintain the integrity and strength of the joist. An alternative would be eyebolts near the top of the joists that suspend a ridge pole that is as long or longer than your hammock length. That is what I use, except it is loops around red iron tresses instead of joists.

Hammock
    WBXLC, Chameleon, RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, AHE, LLCP
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Just a note to others thinking about this system. It is better to drill joists nearer to the top than the bottom to maintain the integrity and strength of the joist. An alternative would be eyebolts near the top of the joists that suspend a ridge pole that is as long or longer than your hammock length. That is what I use, except it is loops around red iron tresses instead of joists.
    Thanks for the advice. Would like to see your system.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    This is my current indoor system. Few folks have red iron trusses to hang from, but I used a similar system in our garage previously. However the garage trusses were 2x4 including the bottom chord. So I spanned several trusses for strength and then dropped a suspension rope from the middle of the spanned chords to support the end of the aluminum military camo netting poles.
    Sparrowredironhang.jpg

The system is adjustable for height above floor or to hoist up out of the way if needed.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    This is my current indoor system. Few folks have red iron trusses to hang from, but I used a similar system in our garage previously. However the garage trusses were 2x4 including the bottom chord. So I spanned several trusses for strength and then dropped a suspension rope from the middle of the spanned chords to support the end of the aluminum military camo netting poles.
    Sparrowredironhang.jpg

The system is adjustable for height above floor or to hoist up out of the way if needed.
    At first, I though you just said to hell with a ridge line and used a pipe...then, I figured out what was going on.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    At first, I though you just said to hell with a ridge line and used a pipe...then, I figured out what was going on.
    Actually, with the pipe, and the suspension being quite minimal, the ridgeline barely serves a purpose. Maybe no purpose at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast