Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    That looks like directly where I hung, the photo above. Absolutely stunning. I night hiked to the first shelter, so I could camp where Yellow Dog Run and Rock Run meet the second night. I think it was like 16 miles from the shelter. Pleasant Stream is anything but pleasant if the water is high. Actually flash flooded the cabins along it and washed out some of the roadway. Nice trip and fairly easy by North Central PA.
    How far is it to the first shelter? Good to know about Pleasant Stream, thanks.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Explorer
    Starting from Masten and hiking clockwise, the shelter at Sprout Point should be about 4 miles in. A small stream along with camping are about 7 miles in. Sharp Top Vista is about 8 miles in. Cross Pleasant Run Stream at about Mile 10.5. Sullivan Mountain Vistas are around Mile 14. Doe Run Stream which has camping and the second shelter is about Mile 17. Rock Run Stream is at about Mile 21. Back to Masten at about Mile 27.

These distances are from trail sources that I referenced before the last time I was at Old Loggers Path in 2000. Hard to believe it has been 20 years! The trail may have changed some but the mileages should still be reasonably accurate.

-Daniel

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Those distances all seem pretty accurate. That shelter at mile 4 is next to the vista. So I night hiked planning to stay in it. I arrive after 10 and someone has a tent in it. So I hung at the vista itself for the second year in a row. Super windy, so I didn't sleep. The shelter might be good to stay in but the area in front of it is weird. It is super rocky. Not really rooms for tents and didn't look great for hammocks either. The second shelter was nice and seemed like a good area to hang around it. That might be the best option for a group. Also, you can hang right by your car at the start the first night in Masten. I didn't do that because I wanted to get some miles in and hang where Yellow Dog Run and Rock Run meet. I was glad I did.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I would so go, but I have to work that weekend at the Sabres game. They're probably not making the playoffs this year so once April rolls around I'll have more free time. LMK if you have any other plans, and I could join you.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle
    I may be interested depending on what the weather is like! If not, i look forwards to hearing about the trip.

Hammock
    Kammock Mantis
    Tarp
    Mantis Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Burro
    Suspension
    Mantis webbing str
    I attempted this hike last April after some rain and pleasant stream was way high and I was by myself so didn't want to risk falling in. I ended up turning around and had a 22 mile day back to the beginning in Masten.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Kammock Mantis
    Tarp
    Mantis Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Burro
    Suspension
    Mantis webbing str
    Different angle not sure why the other picture came up twice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Usually the weather forecasts are fairly accurate a week out. I'll post the forecast on the 14th-15th and see who's interested.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Datahiker, Have you ever done the STS, just north of the BFT? I'm doing it with friends at the end of May and early June.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by StackTrace View Post
    Datahiker, Have you ever done the STS, just north of the BFT? I'm doing it with friends at the end of May and early June.
    I've done it twice. The first trip I wasn't prepared for it to monsoon every day and we bailed after 50 miles but we went back and did the remaining mileage in the fall. This past summer (end of June) I took my daughter and her best friend on a 7-day trip and completed it. It's pretty typical PA-type hiking for that area. Unfortunately there's a ton of stinging nettle so wear pants. I sent resupply boxes to Kinneys Country Store in Cross Fork. Water's not an issue. There are some new lean-tos since the last time I did it.

We saw a bear and a rattlesnake, which kept things exciting. If you keep a trail log and send it in you can get recognized for being a Circuit Hiker. PM me if you want more info. I have the maps and trail guide but they're pretty beat up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast