Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping pad

That’s a great idea. I have a non reflective pad that’s longer and wider. I don’t mind sacrificing that for a test run.
    If you think you are too small or too unimportant to make a change try
    sleeping in a room with a mosquito.

Dalai Lama.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone tried the v pad for hammocks instead of an underquilt? I’m thinking about getting a lighter backpack but tq and uq take up quite a bit of space.
    You will still need a TQ with a pad. If you are talking about the Klymit V hammock sleeping pad keep in mind they weigh around 27 ozs which is more than a UQ in most cases.
    Packed down size is 4"x8" so not all that small according to many. So you may not really save that much space depending on UQ used. A partial UQ takes very little pack space.
    Hammock Camping pad playlist for insight....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PBkH55Ns90zkAu
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I’d like to buy down quilts but after my recent gear upgrades I’m afraid I’d be living in the woods full time if I make the switch.
    lol I know what you mean. I did a trip to Shining Rock wilderness NC with a buddy in Aug 1981, not long after both of us had just finished our hitches in the USAF. We carried heavy gear and didn't have much clue what we were doing but still had a great time, although I nearly froze my butt off one night. I still have the map from that trip and stumbled across it recently... brings back good memories.

BUT, you might be able to score some used HG Econ quilts in the FS section if you keep your antennas up. Some people buy gear and use it very little, or none, so it's practically new at a very good price.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thank you,
    I must have overlooked the weight, that is quite a bit. I might have to switch to down after all. I am a very cold sleeper despite my size.

Dalai Lama.

Thank you for your service.
    I was with an allied force and we had the need to bring a lot of items with us on missions. Heading out was tough, coming back felt like a UL trip. Now that I’m getting older I just don’t want to carry more than 30lbs. (Including food and water)

Dalai Lama.

Images
    Hi,

Has anyone tried the v pad for hammocks instead of an underquilt? I’m thinking about getting a lighter backpack but tq and uq take up quite a bit of space.
    What kind of hammock do you have? You don't happen to have one of the designs that work so much better(compared to gathered end(GE) hammocks) with a pad, do you? Like a bridge or 90º hammock? If so, you are in luck, it should work great if it is wide enough but not too wide to fit.

If you have a GE, is it a double layer with pad pocket/sleeve? That also makes it much easier to keep a pad in place, at least for me. There also used to be a thing called a Segmented Pad Extender made by the old Speer Hammock folks. It allowed using 20" pads, stacked to a max of 3" thick, either all full length or combo of full length and torso sized. Then, it had fabric side sleeves to insert some cut up closed cell foam(or even clothing) to keep your shoulders warm. I spent a comfy and toasty 18F night using that in a single layer Speer hammock once. These are no longer available, but I think ENO makes something similar. For DIYers, it probably wouldn't be very hard to make one.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I suppose the decision process would include what season, for how long, and is the hammock DL. If I knew for sure I'd have to go to ground more than a day or two, I'd be more prone to carry just a pad. Before I went to UQ's, during the summer it was enough to suspend my very lightly inflated pad in my UQP. That combination - UQP and Pad - was enough to keep the heat stealing wind at bay during the summer months. Because the pad was in the UQP instead of hammock DL, I didn't experience the "sweating" that can occur when non-breathable material is next to me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hi,
    I have a single layer Dutch wide. To be honest it’s not as comfortable as I was hoping it would be but it’s light. I could try stitching three shock cords to the outside to hold a pad in place. Shug replied and linked to one of his videos were he had a similar setup with an insulated fabric sleeve. Might be time to revive that old sewing machine.

Dalai Lama.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I think I’m going with the insulated Klymite V for hammocks for my LT hike. I’m not saving a lot of weight and bulk but it gives me the option of sleeping in a shelter if I have to. I tried my rectangular insulated air mattress and let’s just say I’m glad there were no cameras around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12