Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What is the mfgr R-value or temp rating of the Antarctic mat alone? I've not been able to find any numbers for this.

I also don't understand how the compressed insulation is supposed to work.
    From Wikipedia:

The highest temperature ever recorded on Antarctica was 20.75 °C (69.3 °F) at Comandante Ferraz Antarctic Station on 9 February 2020.

Sorry, just being cheeky.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    From Wikipedia:

The highest temperature ever recorded on Antarctica was 20.75 °C (69.3 °F) at Comandante Ferraz Antarctic Station on 9 February 2020.

Sorry, just being cheeky.
    lol I'm actually surprised by that! I woulda guessed maybe a tick or two above freezing.

I think the coldest ever (satellite sensory reading) was something like -140°F.

Either way, the word "Antarctic" implies a lot.

Images
    lol I'm actually surprised by that! I woulda guessed maybe a tick or two above freezing.

I think the coldest ever (satellite sensory reading) was something like -140°F.

Either way, the word "Antarctic" implies a lot.
    That's correct. -144.4°F, per the same article I copied from.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    BRRRRR....

Images
    BRRRRR....
    35°F colder than the sublimation point of dry ice! (at sea level)

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Thanks for the Antarctica video and the company name in England, I ordered one today.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    This pad sounds like the Wiggy's ground pads. I'm underwhelmed by the Wiggy's ground pads. The best I can say about them is that they stay supple in extreme cold. But I find that they bottom out when I lay on them. I can't imagine that they are providing either much insulation or much comfort if they are bottoming out when laid on ...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post
    This pad sounds like the Wiggy's ground pads. I'm underwhelmed by the Wiggy's ground pads. The best I can say about them is that they stay supple in extreme cold. But I find that they bottom out when I lay on them. I can't imagine that they are providing either much insulation or much comfort if they are bottoming out when laid on ...
    I'm at a loss as to how this pad could work to provide significant insulation. Unless

1:it is depending on what I noticed about my synthetic sleeping bags: though the loft got compressed, I still always noticed a warmth boost on my back when I got in them. Which I attributed to the idea that generally synthetics will not compress as well as own. So, even while laying on them maybe I still had some minimal- but noticeable- insulation even when I laid on them and compressed them. Or, maybe it was just the fact that I was zipped up in them which defeated all drafts? Or
    2: this bag seals in the insulation, so that it can not be compressed, just as a CCF pad can not be compressed?

Or is It something else?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The ad copy seems to tout this as a replacement for ThermaRest (and/or similar) self-inflators.

In freezing weather, self‐inflating, rubber‐based mats often crack when rolled, and valves can freeze, rendering them useless. The Antarctic mat uses only sleeping bag insulation to prevent heat loss, so no need to worry about anything cracking or freezing.
    I still have a TR self-inflator that is about 25 years old and still works fine, never a valve problem or cracking despite having used it many, many nights in sub-zero (Farenheit) temperatures. I've never seen any cracking in any air mats so it must not be a big problem. Can't say I've ever seen one made of rubber either, so perhaps in GB/EU there exists such a beast and it is a well documented problem there.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

***UPDATE***

I've used the "mat" in a few different configurations now on its own and it actually provides a noticeable increase in warmth over no pad at all, both on the *gulp* ground in my Snugpak Stratosphere bivy & Ionosphere 1 man tent and also in my Ridgerunner. It also seemed to verify the claim that it wicks moisture well as I never once woke up with a wet back and found a slightly wet spot under it when used inside the Stratosphere & Ionosphere.

As far as it's actual insulating properties go, in the RR at 35° I was comfortable with the A mat + 20° Burrow and didn't notice any signs of CBS, at 29° I was still " warm" but not nearly as comfortable and could feel a coolness when compared to the front side of my body that was insulated by the Burrow. Both nights I had the A mat as a single layer and not folded in half with the perimeter velcro. On the ground it still performed equally as well,.however it wasn't nearly as comfortable since it's not very thick and doesn't provide much cushion at all from the ground. HOWEVER, this pad really excels as a supplement to an existing un-insulated air / CCF pad or UQ when folded in half. When in the RR and folded it provided enough insulation to be comfortably warm @ 23-25°F when used with a proper top insulation and clothing system. I have yet to test it folded in half on the ground however.

Overall I am pleasantly surprised at how the Antarctic Mat performed. Do I think it would replace your UQ or pad in all situations? NO. Does it insulate welll enough to justify the cost? to me, YES. Does it perform as advertised by Snugpak and wick moisture while providing ample insulation at "nominal" 4 season temps without the need for additional insulation? YES. Does it have limits? YES.
    I guess it all depends on your specific situation and insulation requirements as to whether this Mat Is for you or not. Living so close to the water like I do, I'm always looking for new or different types of synthetic insulation. I think this thing will be great on its own for 3 season use and as a supplement in 4/5 seasons. I'm sure it's definitely not for everyone and as I said above, it has its limits....... But I think it can be a great option to have in your insulation line-up and actually performs as designed. I'll keep testing and will pass on my thoughts and results as I use it more and more. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S
    I don't know how it insulates while being crushed, but it does and I'm as baffled as everyone else. (I'm sure it only works to a point though and I'll make sure to post when I find it's lower limit) Maybe I'll shoot my contact at Snugpak an email to see if he can provide some insight.

20200222_094655.jpg20200222_094903.jpg20200222_094726.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 03-05-2020 at 13:19.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast