WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Baffle height

Hey guys, I’m working on a 0 degree under quilt for a bridge hammock- how thick should the baffle be for 0 degree? What about 20 degrees? Thanks!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, I’m working on a 0 degree under quilt for a bridge hammock- how thick should the baffle be for 0 degree? What about 20 degrees? Thanks!
    This should help.....
    Shug

down loft chart copy.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, UGQ, Enlightened Equipment, and Loco Libre all list the following specs. They are all in agreement, except where noted.

50° = 1" (Loco Libre specs 1.25" on their topquilts and 1.5" on their underquilts)
    40° = 1.5" (Loco Libre specs 1.75" on their topquilts and underquilts)
    30° = 2"
    20° = 2.5"
    10° = 3"
    0° = 3.5"
    -10°= 4"
    -20° = 4.5"
    -30° = 5"
    -40° = 5.5"

Of the vendors listed above, only Enlightened Equipment and Loco Libre offer 50° models. Only Loco Libre specs the sub-zero models, however Warbonnet has quilts with 4" loft that they call "Scandinavian," which are presumably -10° based on the half inch increments per 10°. Close to the chart Shug posted, with 0° being a notable exception. However if you want to target a 0° quilt and make it with 4" loft, you should not be disappointed.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 02-06-2020 at 10:03.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Many years ago, before hammock camping was a thing, I used Western Mountaineering thicknesses. They were about the most respected (honest) sleeping bag manufacturer. This has served me well making my own gear.
    20° = 2.5"
    0° = 3.5"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, UGQ, Enlightened Equipment, and Loco Libre all use the following specs.

50° = 1" (Loco Libre says 1.5")
    40° = 1.5" (Loco Libre says 1.75")
    30° = 2"
    20° = 2.5"
    10° = 3"
    0° = 3.5"
    -10°= 4"
    -20° = 4.5"
    -30° = 5"
    -40° = 5.5"

Only Loco Libre specs the sub-zero models; Warbonnet has quilts with 4" loft that they call "Scandinavian" which are presumably -10° based on the half inch increments per 10°. Close to the chart Shug posted, with 0° being a notable exception. However if you want to target a 0° quilt and make it with 4" loft, you should not be disappointed.

Are those depth/ thickness measurements the desired loft between baffles or is it the height of the baffle's ? I thought that a 50* quilt was sewn through construction?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    This should help.....
    Shug

down loft chart copy.jpg
    Thanks Shug!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Are those depth/ thickness measurements the desired loft between baffles or is it the height of the baffle's ? I thought that a 50* quilt was sewn through construction?
    Those are the heights of the baffles. EDIT to correct, below in red.

Those numbers all represent the target loft, not the height of the no-seeum baffles that separate the chambers.

Referring to the CatSplat Differential Underquilt calculator, the numbers I listed above would be Chamber Height (Hc), not Baffle Height (Hb).

Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, and UGQ don't offer 50° models, at least not as standard choices.

Enlightened Equipment uses baffles (not sewn through) on their 50° down topquilts. I honestly don't know much about their Karo step underquilt, but my assumption is that it's not sewn through either.

Loco Libre has 50° models of their Ghost Pepper, Serrano, and Operator Series Ghost Pepper topquilts, as well as their Operator Series Habanero underquilt. Of those four, the only one that's sewn through is their Operator Series Ghost Pepper topquilt. The rest all have baffles. BTW, they spec 1.25" loft on their 50° topquilts and 1.5" on the underquilt. I corrected that in my post #3 above.

Loco Libre also has the 60° Recon Series Ghost Pepper topquilt and Habanero underquilt. These are both sewn through construction. They spec 1.25" loft on both. Interesting that they spec 1.25" loft on this 60° topquilt and the same loft on the 50° model. It does look like they use less down on the 60° model, but perhaps there's another reason for that, like the shape of the quilt.

A Costco down throw is sewn through, and those are sometimes estimated at about 50°.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 02-06-2020 at 09:47.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for all the great info guys!

--unknown

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I would disagree... I believe that measurement is the desired loft.

I have had quilts from 4 different vendors, all rated 20 degrees, and the actual baffle heights vary.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I would disagree... I believe that measurement is the desired loft.

I have had quilts from 4 different vendors, all rated 20 degrees, and the actual baffle heights vary.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Yes, you're right. I mistook the question. I thought ylnfrt was asking if those were the distances between baffles or the height; and I misspoke by referring to baffle height, when I actually meant "loft" or chamber height. My mistake, and I'll correct my post above to eliminate chance of confusion.

Those numbers all represent the target loft, not the height of the actual no-seeum baffles that separate the chambers.

Referring to the CatSplat Differential Underquilt Calculator, the numbers I listed above would be Chamber Height (Hc), not Baffle Height (Hb).

I too own topquilts and underquilts from all those manufacturers, but have never bothered to actually measure the loft height. The numbers I provided are from the specifications listed on their websites.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 02-06-2020 at 10:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast