Question CRL Channel on Rainfly?

Hi. Just a long-time lurker, first-time poster here with a question. When DIYing a silpoly or silnylon rainfly, is there a compelling reason not to sew a grosgrain channel across the top for the CRL if weight isn’t a consideration and you seam seal it? You see, I have a lot of ideas that I’ve never seen done and I always wonder if I’m just missing the reason(s) they’re not done.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    No expert here but friction wear would be a concern I would have for the longevity of the tarp. Wind would make the tarp "move" along that channel and would - IMO - wear through either the channel, tarp or both. Additionally I would expect the seam seal to become damaged due to same wind action.
    Just one DIY'ers .02¢

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    Not all, but some tarps have a slight catenary cut on the ridge seam, and so doing as you suggest (or even just running the CRL under the tarp) would prevent the tarp from being fully taut, especially near the ends.

Doing as you suggest would probably add weight, material cost, and labor at the manufacturer, and it would take longer for the user to thread the CRL through the channel (even if that's a one time thing and the CRL is just left there once installed). What would be the advantage of doing so, as opposed to say, running the CRL under the tarp ridge if you want the tarp to be supported like that?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rvamedic View Post
    Hi. Just a long-time lurker, first-time poster here with a question. When DIYing a silpoly or silnylon rainfly, is there a compelling reason not to sew a grosgrain channel across the top for the CRL if weight isn’t a consideration and you seam seal it? You see, I have a lot of ideas that I’ve never seen done and I always wonder if I’m just missing the reason(s) they’re not done.
    Not being critical here, just wondering what benefit this would offer.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

No experience with it, but I guess my question would be... if the tarp material and grosgrain have different stretch characteristics... wouldn't that impact your ability to properly tension your tarp... or possibly put excessive strain on the grosgrain to tarp material threading/holes?

I think it would be quite a PITA to feed line through and, potentially, become a water trap I wouldn't want to have to deal with.

Since you're talking an above channel I don't see where wear factors would be any issue.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Not being critical here, just wondering what benefit this would offer.
    Same here. Now instead of one seam at the ridgeline, you'll have two that can leak.

Some people love to DIY - one guy named Dynamystic has been working on a DIY tarp for a couple of years that has more seams to seal than you can imagine. Hey, if it makes him happy! I'm personally not that interested in reinventing the wheel.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=behold
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts