Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend

Ridgeline Lights

I have been meaning to post this mod since last winter but have continually forgotten. I see tons of people adding string lights to their Ridgeline. Ive experimented with tons of them and all have left me unhappy....until I discovered the Big Agnes MTN Glow lights. I bought some for my ZPacks Duplex tent and decided to experiment. The below picture is what they look like when they're new. They have a white fabric diffusing cover on the light strip. I stole this picture from REI.com because I dont have any pictures of what they look like from the factory.

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.22.39 AM.png

I was on my Ultralight kick so I was trying to reduce weight as much as possible. I cut the white cloth diffuser off of the string lights. I then noticed the wire is extremely tiny and flexible. I wrapped it around the clothesline in my tent and it worked perfectly. I honestly dont even see why they put the diffuser on them as they dont need it. I then decided to buy more and add them to my hammocks. Ive been using these about a year and they have performed flawlessly. I can honestly say im 100% happy with them. I have never experienced a tangle and they always stay in place. I leave them on the Ridgeline full time.

IMG_1617.jpg

In the pic above you can see the lights wrapped around the Ridgeline and you can see that they are powered by usb. I run the connector into my hammock gear dyneema Ridgeline organizer. I switch between using the factory supplied battery pack (AAA) or my battery bank depending on my needs for that particular trip. If you look hard enough you can see the lights wrapped around the Ridgeline in the picture below. They're tiny.

IMG_2444.jpg

The picture below was taken soon after I discovered the string lights and rigged up a fan. That was also back when I was still a ground dweller and before I bought my first Underquilt. I have since changed the fan that I use and you can see in the picture I was still using the white fabric diffuser on the string lights. I would just use the factory supplied mitten hooks that came with the string lights and hang them on the Ridgeline. I was unhappy with that method because I would experience tangles. Wrapping the unsheathed string lights around the Ridgeline prevents tangles. The 20,000mah battery bank is my multiday trip power source. It is attached to the Ridgeline by shock cord loops and mitten hooks.

IMG_0860.jpg

I haven't weighed the string lights in a year so I dont remember their exact weight. If I remember correctly the string lights without a power source only weighs in the 1 oz neighborhood. I do know I've never found a lighter weight string light. Ultimately, your real weight will come from the batteries but that applies to any light. Overall, I have a year of experience with this setup and I have absolutely no desire to find another method of lighting my hammock. In my opinion, the only way it could be more perfect is if the lights were spliced into the Ridgeline. I have plans of trying it in the future.
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Right on. Thanks for the tip. I was going to look for different lights for my wife's hammock and this with your mod would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Right on. Thanks for the tip. I was going to look for different lights for my wife's hammock and this with your mod would be perfect.

That is a wicked cool balaclava!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    That is a wicked cool balaclava!
    One of the original beardheads. They have a lot more stuff available now. Beardhead.com

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I always laughed at lights, but after trying it they're sure nice to have. Then I stepped it up to a set with a remote...great for getting up to go and not messing with a headlamp!

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I always laughed at lights, but after trying it they're sure nice to have. Then I stepped it up to a set with a remote...great for getting up to go and not messing with a headlamp!
    What is your setup with the remote? Will it work with the setup NeighborhoodNinja mentioned?

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    I have used these on a couple of trips. They are super light since they use a watch battery instead of a AAA battery pack. They look like the Big Agnes set, after OP removed the diffuser sleeve.

None of them have broken on me yet, but for the price, I've always got extras or loaners for my friends. I'm glad I picked them up. They're much more convenient for reading/lounging/midnight pee breaks than a headlamp.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Question - since you removed the sheathing I assume you might be able to spice this stuff through say 7/64th amsteel? Thought on this is that it is more protected and less likely to tangle if it is in or woven through the amsteel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Question - since you removed the sheathing I assume you might be able to spice this stuff through say 7/64th amsteel? Thought on this is that it is more protected and less likely to tangle if it is in or woven through the amsteel.
    Possibly. Ive got plans of trying it. The string lights without the sheathing are about the same size as zing-it or lash-it so it can definitely be spliced into 7/64 amsteel. Im very curious what kind of wear and tear there will be on the lights over time. The lights are a soft and extremely flexible type material so i doubt its too abrasion resistant but i could be wrong about that.
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodNinja View Post
    Possibly. Ive got plans of trying it...........Im very curious what kind of wear and tear there will be on the lights over time. The lights are a soft and extremely flexible type material so i doubt its too abrasion resistant but i could be wrong about that.
    Ohh man please film that or at take pics! Awesome concept

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast