Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Eno DryFly
    Insulation
    OneTigriss 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Anyone have good luck with the cheaper, Amazon tarps?

Just got a hammock and am looking for a tarp, I can't spend too much at the moment so I was thinking of maybe getting one of the cheaper Amazon tarps like the Wise Owl Outfitters, Gold Armor or Rain Fly Evolution. Has anyone used these with good results? My next thought was to spend a little more and get a Kelty Noah's Tarp $12, it's only $55 and gets good reviews but the thing looks HUGE!

Thinking I'll get something cheaper now then the wife and I are going to play around with DIY tarps, she likes to do crafts and would save me $$$ on a nice, big tarp.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Winter Tarp W
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Just got a hammock and am looking for a tarp, I can't spend too much at the moment so I was thinking of maybe getting one of the cheaper Amazon tarps like the Wise Owl Outfitters, Gold Armor or Rain Fly Evolution. Has anyone used these with good results? My next thought was to spend a little more and get a Kelty Noah's Tarp $12, it's only $55 and gets good reviews but the thing looks HUGE!

Thinking I'll get something cheaper now then the wife and I are going to play around with DIY tarps, she likes to do crafts and would save me $$$ on a nice, big tarp.
    I have a the Hex Sanctuary SilTarp by Paria Outdoor Products. It has held up pretty well over the last year. It comes with guy line and stakes and has an 79.99 price point.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There was a tread a while back discussing the cost saving of DIY projects. I believe the consensus was there wasn't much. The reward was more the sense of accomplishment of rolling your own. Part of the reason is vendors can buy material at volume discount and that saving gets passed on to you.

A hammock is a relatively simple project and easy to test. A tarp, on the other hand, looks simple but that's a lot of material to wrangle. Also the opportunity to test it in strong wind/rain conditions is not as plentiful as just putting up a hammock. And if it were to fail ... it wouldn't be a good day. The Noah 12 has a proven track record. Because it is over $25 it probably qualifies for free shipping. $55 for a proven tarp that can be returned. That's "peace of mind" which has its own value.

If DIY is your thing, go for it. But if you are considering it only to save money, you may find the equation lacking.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I had a Rain Fly EVOLUTION tarp from amazon. It worked fine other than the fact that it was heavy. I paid $40 for it. The Chill Gorilla tarps are about the same price and quality.

If i were going to do it again, Id look into UGQ Penny Pincher tarps. They are more expensive (starting at $85) but IMHO a much nicer tarp. They weigh a lot less and pack much smaller.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I use a Kelty 9x9 and 12x12 but I do not hike. I base camp and day hike. Both of these tarps work very well but the 12x12 is BIG! I use the 9x9 on the diagonal over my 10' Dutch with no issues but if lots of rain or wind predicted, I use the 12x12 for better coverage.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Eno DryFly
    Insulation
    OneTigriss 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks guys. I have an 11 foot hammock so I was thinking a kelty 9 would be too small?

Cougar I totally hear you on the cost savings vs buying, I just think it would be a fun project and she already has the large area and a sewing machine, she has vinyl and one of those Tshirt press things so she likes that stuff.

And RVN, at the $80 price point wouldn't I be better off spending $9 more and get a 3.5x3.5 meter DD tarp?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    The DD 3.5 x 3.5 is a pretty good tarp for the money. I have one and it offers great coverage, but it doesn't pack as small as a 20D Silpoly tarp. It tends to hold water once it gets wet. The tieouts are all webbing rather than D-rings or line locks, while that keeps cost down it's not great in the longer term.

As I'm in the UK it is far easier and less expensive for me to buy DD products, which is why I initially owned a DD 3.5 x 3.5 tarp. It served me well in all seasons here in the UK but I eventually ended up purchasing a Hammock Gear Journey tarp, which is a far superior product imho.

While the DD 3.5 has about 8" of extra coverage either side in the width, it is about 8" or so shorter on the ridgeline. The addition of doors makes the Journey far more flexible especially in cold wet and windy weather. It packs down much smaller 50% less at least, doesn't retain water to the same extent as the DD tarp, it's lighter and has panel pullouts and a D-rings as standard. From my research from a UK perspective the Journey offered the best bang for the buck/pound.

I paid around £47 for the DD 3.5 delivered. The Journey cost $140 (£108) plus a small shipping charge to a friend in the US who brought it over to the UK for me. I believe you can sign up to the HG mailing list and save on shipping costs.

When it comes to a tarp it's probably best to cry once and buy once as it's a critical piece of kit that you rely on.

I still use my DD 3.5 as a loaner, but if I had easy access to the US cottage vendors I would have gone straight to a Journey, Penny Pincher or Superfly etc.

Unless you're desperate to get out in the woods it's probably worth saving and waiting to get something that will last, without the need/wish to upgrade. Upgrading is an annoying expense especially if you know you will be upgrading an item going in.

If budget and time are major barrier then it's better to get something to get out into the woods in which case going cheap is the only option. That's basically why I brought the DD tarp knowing that I would eventually upgrade. It got me in to the woods where I wanted to be!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Dutchware have a 20% discount on tarps until the 2/9 this month. A Xenon 12" winter tarp with doors, D-rings $150 sale price $120 panel pulls are available as an option.

Standard rectangular 12" tarps from $96

https://dutchwaregear.com/product-category/xenon-tarps/

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Resounding Yes.

I have used the ProVenture 12' hex tarp for over 3 years now. It has provided excellent protection and coverage in all kinds of weather. It is basically the same tarp that the Chill Gorilla and the other similar tarps, but at a nicer price point ($32) and it is not the walking billboard that Chill Gorilla is. ( I have both). I've had it out in all kinds of weather, Rain, freezing rain, snow, wind and even a mild sunny day or too. I am very happy with it and I am not put off by some of the never buy anything from amazon folks around here.

Here is my review on the ProVenture Tarp: Tarp Review

Link to Amazon Amazon Link

I had it out this past weekend at the TrailHeadz hang and I would put it up against any of the similar high price hex tarps. It will certainly get you started.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    For $32 bucks that seems like a decent option given the recommendation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast