Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I think by now you have probably figured that the quilt is not wide enough for you to side sleep, especially with no wide UQ to over lap. But since you are using a pad, it should be pretty easy to put it to the test. Either in the hammock- or even take the pad inside and lay it on the floor, or just use your bed or couch with no pad needed-- put one edge of your UQ on the pad(or hammock or bed) and lay down with, say with your rt shoulder, hip and legs to the down side and on top of that quilt edge. So that, as you lay on your right side, the quilt is laying behind you and is just barely tucked under you enough to prevent drafts. Then just pull the non tucked edge of the TQ over from behind to the opposite side, the side you are facing.

So, you will be facing the back of the quilt, with the back side opening to your front side. Normally, you would have this side of the quilt to your backside, but temporarily doing it this way will make it easy to see if your quilt is wide enough to cover you for side sleeping especially on a pad.

Do you have enough quilt width to reach down to the the inside bottom of the hammock and/or pad surface, on your front side, and hopefully also be able tuck in at least a bit? And without pulling so tight so as to compress the loft in the area of the left(up side) shoulder? If so, wide enough. If not, need wider.

You probably won't need as much width if using an UQ which is wide enough to overlap, AND if you can lean back somewhat into that side which is insulated by the UQ. Then you can probably get away with it if the quilt is only wide enough to reach 1/2 down your back. However, you will still need a wider TQ if while on your side you don't lean back, and rather are straight up with back 90º to the pad, or even lean somewhat forward a bit.

One last thing to watch out for if experiencing unexplained cold from your pad. If a pad, especially when fully inflated, has valleys where the baffles are not quite as tall as the pad surface. cold air can run down these valleys. In a tent and when using a sleeping bag, the back side of the bag might droop down and fill those valleys. But, in a hammock's pad pocket, the sleeping bag can not get past the hammock fabric to fill the pads valleys. Or, of course, if using a TQ, there might not be any quilt under your back to fill any valleys any way, depending on width. So, cold air might be felt in those narrow valleys. Less likely if the pad is not fully inflated, which allow your weight to flatten those peaks and valleys.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-04-2020 at 17:12.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If this is New, just purchased, gear, perhaps you can trade it back to HG and get their wider version. As ufdigga said, those extra width inches make a lot of difference. This is one issue that a sleeping bag solves. We know you don't get insulation from the bottom of the bag because your body compresses it. But it certainly hugs you.

The advantage of the TQ is less weight and bulk because you don't have a zipper and the UQ does (more than) half the work. Maybe for you, those little advantages are not worth the "more attention to gaps" compromise. If I absolutely knew I was adventuring to a place where I'd have to go to ground at least part of the time, I'd bring a sleeping bag instead of my TQ. In the hammock, I'd just unzip it and use it like a TQ; on the ground it's a typical sleeping bag. But if the ground issue were only a "maybe" or only one day out of four - for example - then I'd use the TQ and know that I have to pay more attention to tuck it in when on the ground.

I'm guessing the RR environment is sort of in the middle. The sides aren't hugging like a GE but the "bed" is not flat/open like a ground pad.

I don't know the dimensions of the Wide version of HG's TQ but I'm sure it's posted. maybe you could get a blanket and fold it so it has the same width. Then get in your RR with it (test environment; i.e. at home) and see if that extra width will allow it to obtain that snuggly security we all seek.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Enlightened Equipment quilts have some plastic clips that attach to elastic loops that go around the air mat and keep them in place surprisingly well.

Here's a pic of one of my ground setups, showing how the straps hold together a pad combo such as CCF and Thermarest air mat.

EE Quilt Pad Straps.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Enlightened Equipment quilts have some plastic clips that attach to elastic loops that go around the air mat and keep them in place surprisingly well.

Here's a pic of one of my ground setups, showing how the straps hold together a pad combo such as CCF and Thermarest air mat.

EE Quilt Pad Straps.jpg
    That would be a good solution in a RR where they are sleeping directly on the pad but not if they are using the pad in the RR pocket.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12