Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Top Quilt Shifting Around?

I just recently purchased a whole new setup. Upgrading from a sleeping bag to a top quilt, and going from a Dutch netless to a Ridgerunner hammock. As a side sleeper, i found it very difficult to keep the topquilt underneath me. As I shifted in the night, I would wake up cold as back side would frequently be exposed. Although uncomfortable for me, I found by the end of the night that if I slept Mummy style, i could avoid this issue. I should also mention that I used an Exped downmat pad in the ridgerunner as bottom insulation.

Can anybody offer any advice? Perhaps I'm missing something, as I am new to both the hammock and insulation im using. Thanks!
    Last edited by questionmike; 02-03-2020 at 11:50.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    I just recently purchased a whole new setup. Upgrading from a sleeping bag to a top quilt, and going from a Dutch netless to a Ridgerunner hammock. As a side sleeper, i found it very difficult to keep the topquilt underneath me. As I shifted in the night, I would wake up cold as back side would frequently be exposed. Although uncomfortable for me, I found by the end of the night that if I slept Mummy style, i could avoid this issue.

Can anybody offer any advice? Perhaps I'm missing something, as I am new to both the hammock and insulation im using. Thanks!
    Do you know the width of your topquilt? For typical back-sleeping in a gathered end hammock, 50" width is usually recommended and adequate. The nature of the gathered end hammock will have the underquilt wrapping and insulating part of your sides, so the 50" topquilt provides enough overlap for full insulation coverage. For ground use or side-sleeping, 55" is often recommended, and the Ridgerunner with a matching underquilt doesn't wrap to insulate your sides as much as a gathered end hammock. If you're side-sleeping in a Ridgerunner, a 55" width (or more?) might be necessary to avoid the issue you had.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Do you know the width of your topquilt? For typical back-sleeping in a gathered end hammock, 50" width is usually recommended and adequate. The nature of the gathered end hammock will have the underquilt wrapping and insulating part of your sides, so the 50" topquilt provides enough overlap for full insulation coverage. For ground use or side-sleeping, 55" is often recommended, and the Ridgerunner with a matching underquilt doesn't wrap to insulate your sides as much as a gathered end hammock. If you're side-sleeping in a Ridgerunner, a 55" width (or more?) might be necessary to avoid the issue you had.
    Ditto all of that.

I have had zero issues staying warm while side sleeping in any of my JRB bridges, using the 52" wide JRB Snivler and other TQs which are at least as wide. However, most of my experience has been in the 1st two models of the JRB bridge hammocks. These are not as wide as and are deeper than the RR. And I often end up in contact with, even leaning back into, the side of the hammock, which the JRB UQs are plenty wide enough to cover, with the edge of my TQ easily overlapping the coverage provided by the sides of the UQ. I have had roughly the same experience with the JRB James River bridge used with a JRB UQ.

Though I have a RR, I have not put any of that to the test. Especially with a narrow UQ I have meant to precisely fit the RR. But regardless, you are using a (wide?) pad. Not only does this tend to make the hammock wider, you will have zero insulation on the sides, even if you were able to lean back into those sides. So, for you it is all going to come down to a wide enough TQ to keep you covered when on your side. As well as you being able to keep edges tucked in as you move in your sleep.

So, how wide is your TQ?

Images
    Oh, I missed that Mike was using a pad in his RR. Actually, it looks like that info was a part of his edit to the OP. I think if anything, that just makes the width of the TQ even more important - as BillyBob mentioned, the pad will do nothing to wrap around you and only insulates your back or whichever side you're sleeping on at the time.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Thanks you guys for the insight! So my topquilt is a standard burrow, putting it at 50" wide. So it seems that the fact that my TQ isn't wide enough, and that i'm using a pad in my RR, is causing the majority of this issue.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is me and my Burrow sleeping on a pad.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    Thanks you guys for the insight! So my topquilt is a standard burrow, putting it at 50" wide. So it seems that the fact that my TQ isn't wide enough, and that i'm using a pad in my RR, is causing the majority of this issue.
    Depending in your build, you might be able to cover yourself with the 50" quilt, but if you're tossing and turning through the night, keeping it there might be a bigger challenge.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Depending in your build, you might be able to cover yourself with the 50" quilt, but if you're tossing and turning through the night, keeping it there might be a bigger challenge.
    Yes good point! Thank you

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is me and my Burrow sleeping on a pad.....
    Shug

Thanks Shug, very useful video!

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    I have standard (50") 20 degree Burrow and a wide (55") 40 degree Burrow. I'm a bigger guy and I toss and turn, and I can tell you from experience -- that extra 5" of width makes a big difference for me. Well worth the extra money and weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast