Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Your hot tent setup with stove looks like that'd be a fun way to spend some time in the woods. That's great you can use the stove to cook & bake with... pretty slick.
    It really was a good time! I never wanted to get into this because I spent so much time and effort dialing in my winter backpacking...then added a pulk. Now this. But it's nice, especially on a solo trip. Otherwise I get set up, look at my watch, and thing "now what" as I sit there in the cold under my tarp. I can only do so much camp fire. On this trip I was processing wood, cooking, reading, feeding the stove, lying there watching the fire.

I'll be ready for the simplicity of a backpacking trip soon though.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Member 'Smokehouse' here makes them. The Outfitter I (mine) has a lean-to on one side. the Outfitter II is 8" longer and has the "wall/roof" on both sides. I wanted to keep things simple, and I didn't need the space so I went with the smaller version. And my stove is tiny anyway. I'm glad because now I only have to worry about snow load on one side. And there's plenty of space on the lean-to side for ALL of my gear. I sit on the other side with stove and small table.

There are several options so PM or email Michael for details - [email protected].

I went with the 1.9 PU coated nylon with UV inhibitor and FR coating. Let me say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this material. Very nice substantial feel to it. I won't be backpacking, so I didn't need the UL stuff, which is an option. Out in the winter where things are a bit "rougher", I don't like to skimp. Plus the stove, holding heat, etc. It made sense. Whatever you do, go with a light color like this gray; it's like daytime inside. I considered white, but that would get so dirty. Otherwise, it would be pretty depressing sitting inside in the dark. I'm putting some kind of window in eventually for a little view.

Two other guys I camp with had this. It was a MUST HAVE after seeing it in action. It's a Scheppach CSP2540; German saw made in China shipped from Italy After filling up, it coughed on the 3rd pull right out of the box, started on the 4th pull. Runs great and fits perfectly in one of my totes where I keep all the other dirty/smelly stuff.
    I've seen this type of hot tent before, and have considered making one myself. Do you worry about having a stove in a big melty bubble? I guess I'm trying to convince myself to go this route, my wife would love it

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    I've seen this type of hot tent before, and have considered making one myself. Do you worry about having a stove in a big melty bubble? I guess I'm trying to convince myself to go this route, my wife would love it
    Not at all. The whole "shrink wrap myself" thing really is a joke. It's not like plastic wrap at all. Not that I'm careless without any worries in the world, but really, you'll put a few pinholes in the roof from outside (and notice them next trip) at best. I don't think you would even melt the wall with the proper distance, let alone a heat shield. There's nowhere for embers to fly out and I'm told the stove would melt before the stove jack material.

Carbon monoxide? Eh, not really with all the venting on the two ends plus whatever you have open with the zippers for the hammock suspension. If I was worried I could pop $18 on a detector but I won't even bother.

This is fire retardant material, but the only reason I went with it was the heavier weight and sturdiness. The UV inhibitor and fire retardant were just a perk that came with.

Smokehouse does a canvas version if you're into that.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    Thanks for cleaning the snow off my spot. Spending the week here
    Dogger

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for sharing OneClick. That sure is a nice stove. I've got a steel KniCo and a titanium seek out side. Not as nice as yours though.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Images
    Great report with pics and vid. I'd try an ice fishing sled like shug uses they sell them in many lengths. That might track a bit better in a rutty road. Your current sled would work great on a frozen lake.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Not at all. The whole "shrink wrap myself" thing really is a joke. It's not like plastic wrap at all. Not that I'm careless without any worries in the world, but really, you'll put a few pinholes in the roof from outside (and notice them next trip) at best. I don't think you would even melt the wall with the proper distance, let alone a heat shield. There's nowhere for embers to fly out and I'm told the stove would melt before the stove jack material.

Carbon monoxide? Eh, not really with all the venting on the two ends plus whatever you have open with the zippers for the hammock suspension. If I was worried I could pop $18 on a detector but I won't even bother.

This is fire retardant material, but the only reason I went with it was the heavier weight and sturdiness. The UV inhibitor and fire retardant were just a perk that came with.

Smokehouse does a canvas version if you're into that.
    thanks for the input

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Great report with pics and vid. I'd try an ice fishing sled like shug uses they sell them in many lengths. That might track a bit better in a rutty road. Your current sled would work great on a frozen lake.
    Yeah we use those as well and they're a bear to pull due to all that surface and basically "wall" in front. You're really just pulling a big cube that still falls to one side and gets in a rut. It's always a struggle on this trail. I think this still worked the best out of all the stuff I tried though, especially since it was probably 70lb vs my usual 40.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogger View Post
    Thanks for cleaning the snow off my spot. Spending the week here
    Dogger
    You're welcome! Just be moved out by the time I get back

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images

Talking

Glad you're first outing can be called a success. It really is a game changer.
    And Dogger won, clean setup
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast