Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5

using 1/8 inch evazoate pad with UQ

I've got a full length 1/8 evazoate pad I've been using to increase hammock insulation, and ideally to reduce cold feet and calf ridge for suboptimal hangs. I had thought it might also work as a pillow, but I've found it bunches up at night and moves around too much. I read that someone had put it on top of their 3/4 UQ under the hammock to reduce the closed cell pad from moving around. Has anyone figured out how to attach the foot end for this? The top part will be fine under the head end of the UQ. I could put brass grommets into the foot end and shock cord to the CRL, but I'm not sure how grommets will do in this lightweight closed cell foam, I'm concerned they'll just tear out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There inlies the issue with pads and gathered hammocks. If the grommets do not stay in you can always just tie the ends with cord that can attach to your ridgeline. I'm wondering if anyone has ever sewn in velcro to the hammock and used this as an attachment method.

Images
    Have you considered cutting the pad in half, with the top 1/2 about the same length as your 3/4 UQ or whatever part you feel needs more insulation, and putting the lower part under your legs inside the hammock? Especially if you are also using the pad to decrease calf pressure, you will need it inside anyway. It can also, possibly trimmed down to correct a smaller width, be used inside the foot box of the quilt. Some say there is less condensation that way.

What UQ are you using? If you have not already experimented with this, the main thing is to make sure the pad does not interfere with UQ fit or cause gaps. Sometimes I think narrower pads are less likely to cause problems. I (as well as a friend) used to love to add pads to a Speer Pea Pod, but that was some what different than a normal UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My thoughts echo BillyBob58's concerns. You want the UQ SNUG against the bottom of the hammock. How snug? Well SHUG suggests it should be so SNUG that HUGS you. That is, it lifts the hammock up when you are not in it. If you put the pad between the bottom of the hammock and the UQ, you interfering with the hammock/UQ relationship.

You are also breaking that "breathable" environment and could feel sweat trickle down your back. All for just a pad near your feet? There are lighter materials for that, but you've already invested in the evazoate. You could cut it so that it 1) fits against the back of your pack (inside) 2) is large enough to use as a sit pad for the ground and cold benches 3) works at the foot end and is large enough that it doesn't slide around too much.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Thank you for pointing out the possibility of creating an air gap between the 3/4 quilt (for cold weather I use a Yeti, for warmer I do a full quilt that is quite lightweight). I had thought of that in coming up with the idea of the grommets, but I had completely overlooked the condensation issue. I guess I can just try the grommets, and if they rip out I could either try bunching up the corners with a tie, or just forget the idea. I'm also thinking of either folding it in half to go under my feet, or wrapping my lower legs like a burrito with it. However, as a relatively new hammocker I have a hard enough time moving around in the hammock as it is, so binding my legs could lead to some unintentionally humorous moments, accompanied by foul language that is not safe for this website.

I want to keep the pad whole as I use it to add some R value and prevent punctures as an underpad for my small uberlite air mattress if I camp in a shelter (rare, only in bad weather), and I use it like a yoga pad for stretching (I can completely prevent IT band and hamstring pain this way). Trying to multipurpose equipment often seems to lead to tradeoffs like this.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have a 1/2" evazote pad (25"x 72") that I use every night in my DL DH Sparrow. It fits between the layers and it stays put for many nights (on rare occasion I have to reposition it). The combination of the evazote and Hex20 fabric makes for simulation velcro ;-). I use it instead of a Wooki or 3/4 Pheonix inside since it saves wear and tear on the UQs and takes up less room. I am not given to being a sweaty person, but it can become a tad bit noticeable after a prolonged lay, i.e. hours laying on my back at night. However, that has not been enough of a deterrent to dissuade me from this set up. I am currently trying the evazote wrapped inside a folded Costco Quilt to see if that retards the moisture even more. If I had a poncho liner or thin synthetic blanket I would give that a try, but I don't. For back packing I either go for a Exped inflatable Syn or Downmat or the Wooki or Phoenix.

• + New Posts