Hammock
    Chameleon, i think
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    marlon spike

Ridgeline length adjustment conceqences?

Thank you all in advance for the needed help. 6'1" & 185lbs: I bought a Ridgerunner as my 1st hammock 3 weeks ago and bought a Chameleon WIDE two weeks ago that I sent back a week ago when I ordered the Chameleon REGULAR that I received yesterday. The wide had about 7" of floppy material at my feet and the regular has a severe calve ridge just below my knee on my inside leg. I made elevation adjustments that raised the end of the continuous loop on the foot end to 6",10", 14", 18" then to the best adjustment of 16" higher than the end of the continuous loop on the head end. What should I expect if an adjustable Ridgeline is set to a length of 3" longer and then 3" shorter than the ridgeline installed at Dutchware? The only way I can lay without stress on my legs is to have my legs bent at opposing 45 degree angle like a bowlegged frog and that is a hard sleeping position to insulate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'd highly recommend trying both directions as there's nothing magic with these gathered end hammocks as what works for one may or may not work for another individual. Do you not like the RR?

Hammock
    Chameleon, i think
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    marlon spike
    thank you, I do like the RR but want to camp with a 11' tarp and thought it best to give the gathered end hammocks a shot

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    thank you, I do like the RR but want to camp with a 11' tarp and thought it best to give the gathered end hammocks a shot
    Gotcha. A lot of users make a new adjustable ridge line for these situations. You can purchase them as well and they are very affordable.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7383635...RoCz9kQAvD_BwE

An 11' tarp is absolutely fine for a ridgerunner, in fact I use a 10 ft tarp. Even though the ridgerunner is longer all of that extra length is just suspension - there is no fabric protruding out the ends of the tarp the way there is with a gathered end hammock. Any moisture that falls on the suspension of a ridgerunner simply drips off without reaching you.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    What should I expect if an adjustable Ridgeline is set to a length of 3" longer and then 3" shorter than the ridgeline installed at Dutchware? The only way I can lay without stress on my legs is to have my legs bent at opposing 45 degree angle like a bowlegged frog and that is a hard sleeping position to insulate.
    I would strongly advise you not to shorten or lengthen the ridgeline on a Chameleon. You risk damaging the net and/or the zipper. The net was made for a certain ridgeline length. If you lengthen the ridgeline it becomes longer than the length of the net. If you shorten the ridgeline, the sag becomes deeper than the width of the net. Since the net is flexible, there is some tolerance, but the stress increases with the amount of change. You might notice that the zipper seems not to work as well. If you're unlucky, things might break.

If you want to experiment with the ridgeline, zip off the net. If you find a length that works better for you, you can decide if you want to risk the net depending on how big the change is.

For what it's worth, the calf ridge is dependent on fabric stretch and lay angle in my opinion. It's created by a different weight distribution in flexible fabric. The torso is the heaviest body part and stretches the fabric most. The legs are individually lighter and don't stretch the fabric as much. The differently stretched areas create a ridge, which only becomes a problem if it ends up under body parts that are more sensitive to pressure like the back of the knee or the calf. If you turn more inline, the pressure of the ridge is distributed over a larger body surface. If you turn more perpendicular, the ridge moves more under the tighs, which are less sensitive. The lay is influenced by the amount of sag of the hammock, so you might be able to move the calf ridge to a better place by lengthening or shortening the ridgeline indirectly.

However, the stretchier the hammock fabric, the larger the calf ridge becomes, and the less diagonal you can lie (because the sides come up higher). The Hexon 1.6 still has quite a bit of stretch, so that could be the issue.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Cant you just raise the leg end slightly higher then the head end when hanging to eliminate "calf ridge"?

Hammock
    Chameleon, i think
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    marlon spike
    Thank you for the educated and thoughtful response: I just tried to shorten the length yesterday and the net has the integrated side car so that must have saved the net from damage. I have already inconvenienced Dutchware already by sending back the wide for this regular so I will post in the for sale forum this gray 1.6 chameleon with integrated side car bug net, tieouts, and peak storage shelf for 90% of what I paid. I will call Dream Hammock and tell them I want to buy a ready to ship sparrow to try and if I like it II will determine an ideal length and have them make me a Sparrow to order. If that doesnÂ’t work IÂ’ll try the blackbird xlc. The Sparrow seems as if itÂ’s cover will not be so sensitive to ridgeline length adjustment.

Images
    That was a quality post by hutzelbein.

(Forum could use a "like" button.)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe this video will give some insight to helping with calf ridge.
    Hope it helps some.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast