Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Some people just find that they can't get comfortable in a gathered end hammock. I wouldn't give up until you've tried some more options though, which it sounds like you're doing.

If all else fails, consider an Amok Draumr (XL in your case). Zero calf ridge, zero shoulder squeeze, and only 8' minimum tree span requirement. The only real downsides are the weight and bulk of the components, compared to other hammock options. The XL hammock and pad combined weigh about 5.5-5.8 lbs (depending on which pad option), but maybe comfort is more important to you than pack weight.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Though raising the foot end of the hammock may alleviate calf ridge, it is usually done to minimize the tendency to slide towards the foot end of the hammock. Calf ridge is strongly influenced by the ridge line length (sag) and sleep angle. Because components of your hammock - bugnet - are expecting a fixed (factory) length, you have sleep angle. If you have a camp pillow - something small, maybe inflatable, maybe just your outer jacket - you could position it under a leg/knee. That might work.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I would strongly advise you not to shorten or lengthen the ridgeline on a Chameleon. You risk damaging the net and/or the zipper. The net was made for a certain ridgeline length. If you lengthen the ridgeline it becomes longer than the length of the net. If you shorten the ridgeline, the sag becomes deeper than the width of the net. Since the net is flexible, there is some tolerance, but the stress increases with the amount of change. You might notice that the zipper seems not to work as well. If you're unlucky, things might break.
    This is accurate. I put an adjustable Ridgeline on my chameleon and I noticed the stresses on the bug net. I eventually settled on a Ridgeline about 1" shorter than what dutch ships it with. I didn't think there was enough stress from the change to do any damage. so far, so good. It definitely made it more comfortable for me. Hexon stretches more than my current favorite hammock fabric but its still one of the better sleeping fabrics in my opinion. If you adjust your Ridgeline, be careful not to do any damage to your net or cover.
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    Chameleon, i think
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    marlon spike
    Thank you Shug for that video and the dozens of your videos that I have already watched and learned so much from. My first thought to fix the calf ridge was your stuff sack under the knees from a different Shug video but if I can possibly find that perfect lay than that would be a satisfying destination and journey. Im not frustrated yet; Seeing you replicating the gather-end experiments you made while constructing Greenbean confirmed some of my suspicions and makes me want to go buy some material( at least a tablecloth)and play around with it all. My only regret so far is not thinking it through enough to see what hutzelbein stated about zipped on bug net related to ridgeline length

Hammock
    Chameleon, i think
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    marlon spike

cougarmeat

thank you cougarmeat; I have been thinking along those lines but would like to get closer to a perfect lay and save those for fine tuning. The Sparrow and the Black Bird deserve a try next, don't you think? I can always fall back to the Ridgerunner but must give these gathered end hammocks a fair shot.
    Last edited by PatrickH; 02-03-2020 at 20:20. Reason: didn't address member by name

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    PatrickH - I have both the BB and the RR but I seldom get to use the RR. That's because my adventure partner likes it so she gets it and I don't want to have to find two solutions to the further tree distance required by the RR. After using the RR you will be amazed at how close trees can be and still hang the BB comfortably.

Though I haven't had a chance to try it yet, WB suggests the foot end of the BB be raised about a foot higher than standard 6 inch "foot end higher than head end" recommendation. I think they want the foot end "knob" be about 16 inches higher than that at the head end. I looked for the video on their site that addresses this and couldn't find it. Perhaps someone can post it here if they know where it is.

Prior to that video, I set mine up closer to the usual 6 inches and it was fine.

It can take just the littlest "something" to make things right. Sometimes it could be as simple as smoothing out the material with your knee or sliding just a little one direction or the other. I'm sure you played with those options.

For me, it's not that the hammock sleep is perfect (though it comes close), it's that it is so much better than sleeping on the ground.

The only thing that comes close is snow camping because on a snow surface, there are no tree roots, pine cones, rocks, sticks, etc. And as you sleep, the snow conforms to your body. Not bad, assuming you have enough R factor in your pad to keep the cold at bay.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon, i think
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    marlon spike
    Do you have to use the tie outs on the BB to get a good lay?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Do you have to use the tie outs on the BB to get a good lay?
    No. They really don't affect lay at all. Their purpose is to expand the bug net which makes the interior "roomier."

Hammock
    Chameleon, i think
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    marlon spike
    Would a puffy jacket and maybe gloves in/on the not tied-out shelf make the bug net cover collapse inward and make a significant difference in comfort? thank you for the help

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The shelf sort of hangs down when not guyed out and I haven't felt any push. BUT - my BB is head left, feet right. Putting the shelf is on the opposite side of must of my ... bulk. I will sometimes stake out the shelf side to move the bug net away. For me, it seems the guy line on the entrance side just gets in the way. This summer I'll look at that more closely and see if I can pull it more towards the head end to keep the entry way free.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12