WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

tarp suspension options?

Hey guys, Im looking for a better way to attach my tarp to the support trees. Ropes are simple, but i find it annoying to untie the knots to adust the tarp position over the hammock---is there a better way? Is there somethingn like dutch clips and tri glides for tarps? Im looking for a quicker and easier set up and adjustment. Thanks! (for tarps I have a Maccat deluxe and a big square silnylon one I use for a double hang with my son)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That very thing has been a running topic around the forum lately. Have a look here, among several other threads.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, Im looking for a better way to attach my tarp to the support trees. Ropes are simple, but i find it annoying to untie the knots to adust the tarp position over the hammock---is there a better way? Is there somethingn like dutch clips and tri glides for tarps? Im looking for a quicker and easier set up and adjustment. Thanks! (for tarps I have a Maccat deluxe and a big square silnylon one I use for a double hang with my son)
    oh my stevebo, I expect folks to light up on this one. You see the raging debate for a while was "under" or "over". And opie will be showing you his wares...

OK, thumbnail sketch. Key idea : run a ridge-line between the trees for your tarp. A variety of no-knot or low-knot ways of doing that. Did I mention that opie will be showing you his wares...

On that ridgeline are a couple of prusik loops. These can move. They are spaced a little over the ridgeline length of your tarp. Depending on whether you are an undie or an overie
    put the tarp under or over that ridgeline and connect the ridgline tabs or D-rings to those prusiks. A variety of ways of doing that. Opie will be along shortly...

But the key thing is that you SLIDE the tarp along to position it. You don't mess with the tree connections.

OK, here they come with details....

hi opie!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm a recent convert to the Opie style ridgeline. I made my own and it was extremely easy though mine is not as pretty as Opie's because he uses spliced loops for the prusik knots and mine are tied so I got a dumb looking knot at the bottom of my loops. Oh well it seems to work anyway.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    See it in my How-to videos ........ PART 5.
    Hammock How-To
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I'm a recent convert to the Opie style ridgeline. I made my own and it was extremely easy though mine is not as pretty as Opie's because he uses spliced loops for the prusik knots and mine are tied so I got a dumb looking knot at the bottom of my loops. Oh well it seems to work anyway.

I also am a convert of Opie's single ridgeline, it works amazingly well with my OES Spin Deluxe tarp. I can set it up within a matter of minutes and it is nice and taught.

This weekend I tried it out with a GG 12x12 tarp I picked up and it didn't seem to work as well for the nylon fabric of the tarp. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the tarp ridgeline taught. My belief is that the nylon fabric has too much stretch in it, and you can't get enough leverage to tighten the ridgeline by pulling on the prussiks.

I tried the truckers hitch on one end and the siberian on the other and I was able to get it drum tight.

Has anyone else found something like that? Are you able to get a enough leverage with the prussicks to keep a nylon tarp taught?

DG

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Opie's ridgeline is about the simplest if you don't want to tie knots.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    If I may…opie has certainly popularized the ridge-line style and may have thought it up without being influenced by prior art, but this idea has been kicking around HF for a while. I think it was one of the first uses I made of the prusik, now whether it was something that came to me in an inspiration or from reading one of TeeDee's or HC4U's or someone else's posts I cannot say.

I do know I was using this style of ridge-line two summers ago because I have pictures of my hammock setup using it on a trek I made that summer.

Sorry if I sound like a crusty old guy ….

Grizz (the crusty not-really-young-anymore guy)
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

I will 2nd, 3rd, 4th, well you get the idea, of Opie's single line tarp ridgeline I have two (one for my tarp and the other for my GF's tarp), it makes things so much easier, just tie off to both trees get it tight, then center tarp over hammock, and he has a couple different attachment options for you to choose from, also AHE has a tarp ridgeline kit available as well just a different design. Check out Shugs vid series, that will give you pretty much everything you need to know, and if there was anything he left out, I'm sure there will be a video comming soon, then you have the ol faithful "Hammock Forums Search Tab".

Good Luck,

CB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    If I may…opie has certainly popularized the ridge-line style and may have thought it up without being influenced by prior art, but this idea has been kicking around HF for a while. I think it was one of the first uses I made of the prusik, now whether it was something that came to me in an inspiration or from reading one of TeeDee's or HC4U's or someone else's posts I cannot say.

I do know I was using this style of ridge-line two summers ago because I have pictures of my hammock setup using it on a trek I made that summer.

Sorry if I sound like a crusty old guy ….

Grizz (the crusty not-really-young-anymore guy)
    Yeah ... a lot of re-born ideas!!!!!!
    Hey Crusty.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast