Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles

Dynema vs xenon

What is the difference between dynema material and performance and ultralight xenon?
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Do you mean .51 DCF vs Dutch xenon silpoly?

DCF is .51oz/sqyd and Dutch indicates 1.1oz/sqyd for the xenon silpoly, so xenon is about twice as heavy.

Hydrostatic head ("waterproofness") is adequate for our purposes with both materials.

Silpoly stuffs smaller, however if handled properly DCF can be compact enough.

Silpoly is generally more durable, but this is highly subjective based upon how the user treats each.

DCF tape for field repairs works very well (depending upon severity of damage) and there is a new silnylon repair tape that is claimed to work on any silicone material, although I've not not used it myself nor read any reviews yet.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-01-2020 at 06:46.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    What is the difference between dynema material and performance and ultralight xenon?
    All of what cmoulder said.....And price. DCF is much more expensive.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    +2 to the above, however Dutch does have the Xenon 0.9 which is what I believe she was asking about in the OP.

So that lighter version of the Xenon is still almost twice as heavy as 0.51 DCF. It's also slightly more expensive than the 1.1 Xenon, but still nowhere near as expensive as DCF.

1.1 Xenon (58" width) - $6 per linear yard
    0.9 Xenon (58" width) - $6.50 per linear yard
    0.51 DCF (54" width) - $32 per linear yard

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Do you mean .51 DCF vs Dutch xenon silpoly?

DCF is .51oz/sqyd and Dutch indicates 1.1oz/sqyd for the xenon silpoly, so xenon is about twice as heavy.

Hydrostatic head ("waterproofness") is adequate for our purposes with both materials.

Silpoly stuffs smaller, however if handled properly DCF can be compact enough.

Silpoly is generally more durable, but this is highly subjective based upon how the user treats each.

DCF tape for field repairs works very well (depending upon severity of damage) and there is a new silnylon repair tape that is claimed to work on any silicone material, although I've not not used it myself nor read any reviews yet.
    Found it. Got it. I see that now. I'm going DCF. I want lighter. When I looked into price, w/ the add ons I needed, there ended up only being a $50 difference. So for $50 I'm going lighter. What sort of stakes would you use to tie out the tarp? Also, I need guy lines, should I use zing it?
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Found it. Got it. I see that now. I'm going DCF. I want lighter. When I looked into price, w/ the add ons I needed, there ended up only being a $50 difference. So for $50 I'm going lighter. What sort of stakes would you use to tie out the tarp? Also, I need guy lines, should I use zing it?
    Just remember that the really light weight titanium shepherd hook stakes are not the most reliable option in big winds. Big winds can spread that tarp if it gets into limbs.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Images
    Stakes depend a lot on both personal preference as well as type of soil you'll be anchoring in.

One of the lightest types are 6 gram per piece Ti shepherds hooks, of which there are many brands on Amazon for reasonable prices. A really robust Y-stake option is the MSR groundhog, and there are many, many lesser quality versions for lower prices. Sort of a compromise between the two are DAC V-stakes which come in 4 different sizes. And those are just a few options.

If you really want to be lightweight and if the soil conditions in your area permit, the 6 gram Ti shepherds hooks and Zpacks 1.2mm Z-line is one of the lightest combinations. Knots weigh nothing, but if you'd rather have hardware for tensioning, the LineLoc V (NOT LineLoc 3) works with that cordage. If you want larger cordage, there's 1.75mm Zing-It, 1.8mm Dutch Reflect-It, 2mm or 2.5mm Lawson Guywire or reflective Glowire, and the list goes on. Many people try several options before deciding what seems to work best for their camping style and local conditions.

TiTo Titanium Shepherd's Hook Tent Stakes Tent pegs Nail pegs Dia 3.0mm and Length 165mm only 6.1G.(Pack of 6) (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPYJGVM

MSR Groundhog Tent Stake Kit, 6-Pack, Regular - 7.5-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZC5KLG/

DAC V-Best Tent Stake Size Large, 4-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JBMDC8

Zpacks 1.2mm Z-Line
    https://zpacks.com/products/50-feet-1-2-mm-z-line-cord

Zpacks 1.2mm Z-Line Reflective
    https://zpacks.com/products/50-feet-...eflective-cord

LineLoc V
    https://zpacks.com/products/lineloc-v-guy-line-adjuster
    Last edited by cmc4free; 02-01-2020 at 09:43.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I use Lawson Ti shepherd hooks, the HD variety in 7" length (currently out of stock! but worth waiting for) and 2mm Glowire. I've tried other stakes but for rocky NE environment I keep coming back to shepherd hooks, and Glowire is very knot-friendly, tangle-resistant and highly visible.

But there are many viable options out there... I am just a minimalist knot-head.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    I have finally settled on Vargo titanium nails and MSR ground hogs for winter trips here in NY, PA and NJ. I also use reflector line for all my guy outs.
    In warmer temps I will use TI Shepard hooks mixed with some ground hogs or the nails.. Depends what I pack.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    .....If you really want to be lightweight and if the soil conditions in your area permit, the 6 gram Ti shepherds hooks and Zpacks 1.2mm Z-line is one of the lightest combinations. Knots weigh nothing, but if you'd rather have hardware for tensioning, the LineLoc V works with that cordage. ....
    .......Zpacks 1.2mm Z-Line Reflective
    https://zpacks.com/products/50-feet-...eflective-cord

LineLoc V
    https://zpacks.com/products/lineloc-v-guy-line-adjuster

Here you go... ^^^^ THIS ^^^^
    My tarps (all DCF) each have ZPacks 1.2 Reflective Z-Line at ground corners. Was using Dutch Tarp worms but have begun migrating to Lineloc V's on all of them.

I love the feel of the Z-Line.. a bit wire-like so easy to handle with cold, wet hands and resist tangles.

Lineloc V has zero fiddle and a slightly larger form than Tarp Worms (yet still register 0g per unit on my scale). More glove friendly than the worms as well and easier in the dark. Throw a slipper half hitch in the Z-Line if you're concerned about slipping, but in my use thus far, this hasn't been an issue. (I'm using modified Lineloc hooks on two tarps because I haven't changed to Lineloc V's yet).

Lawson HD Ti Shephard stakes are a great step up from the willowy UL shephard stakes. I carry both. HD's for ground corners and UL for doors. Hard to go wrong in the NE using MSR Mini Ground Hogs too. They are just a snick lighter on my scale than the HR Ti stakes (0.35oz each vs 0.39oz each) though the HD shephard hooks seem more versatile and won't rip your feet apart if you step on one or kick it accidentally. Subjective, I know.

The HG DCF Standard w/ doors checks off all the boxes. At one ounce weight penalty over the Standard w/o doors, it's a no brainer (mine weigh 9.87oz vs 8.87 oz, both with Z-lines, split Zingit RLs, single piece mesh snake skin and a DCF stuff sack). Tie the doors back if you don't need them, deploy as many as you need if you're contending with wind or rain.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast