Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dynema vs xenon

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I do have a teensy little SLD asym (silnylon) that I use sometimes when I get in the mood to do a really light 1- or 2-night trip and use my 28L MLD Core backpack, where space is at a premium.
    I have that tarp too, and I like it. It's great when you know it won't rain and just want some coverage for shade or protection from tree detritus and bird droppings. Not to say it's unusable in the rain, but it does take some management.

That said, I've thought about making one of these, but probably won't because I don't think the weight savings justifies the material cost, when I already have one in Xenon.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I have that tarp too, and I like it. It's great when you know it won't rain and just want some coverage for shade or protection from tree detritus and bird droppings. Not to say it's unusable in the rain, but it does take some management.

That said, I've thought about making one of these, but probably won't because I don't think the weight savings justifies the material cost, when I already have one in Xenon.
    Yes, I remember that one, another KC classic!

Same here... I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost or 3oz difference. Not often you'll catch me saying that lol!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    m00ch, thank you for the update. Translucent, not transparent - yeah, that's what I meant. Sometimes the womanfolk (geez, I hope I don't get in trouble for that) are a little more concerned with privacy so a tarp's opaqueness, or lack thereof, could inch a few points up on the issue scale. I like the sound of rain too and I don't have a DCF (yet), so can only forward what I've read before. Glad to hear a tear/hole won't spread.

I do NOT like flying embers but sometimes I have to camp with people who like a fire, AND borrow my gear. It's funny - everyone smiling and laughing and having a good time around the campfire while I, with precision that would make NORAD jealous, track every airborne ash.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-06-2020 at 13:11.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Yup, sold it and went back to Silpoly.
    Yes, haven't sold the DCF w/doors I tried (yet) but while it kept me dry during torrential rain one night the width was such I couldn't deploy UQ due to splash (I sat on my sitpad and just wrapped up in all my quilts and waited out the rain). Needed a bit more width--could not drop it close enough to the ground and keep the hammock off the ground. But that is more a "size of tarp" issue, the "not super giant size" just isn't very wide). I found folding it a bit awkward and it packed pretty big--took up a lot of pack cubic for the size. I didn't mind the sound of rain on it, and the camo print kept it from being too transparent. Silpoly from Dutchware is current tarp; better coverage at roughly half the cost. As with all things hiking, YMMV.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123