Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynema vs xenon

Dynema vs xenon

For your purposes, if you’ve got the budget (and it looks like you’ve got plenty of time to save up), DCF all the way.

I got two thrus out of mine from hammock gear.

It really is amazingly light, and doesn’t really absorb water so never gets heavier.

If I were to Thru hike the AT again I’d absolutely buy a new dyneema tarp

FWIW I used Dutch stingerz with zing it preattached for my ridgelines and used some msr groundhogs for the corners. I tied zing it directly to the stakes and had Dutch fleaz larksheaded onto my tarp tieouts.

The theory behind this was to be able to adjust the tarp while staying under it but the few times I had to do this it was so bad I got sprayed anyway. But I still liked doing it because it’s just easier for me to wrap the cord around the stakes and toss em in the bag. Also makes it harder to forget a stake.

On the PCT I played around with a few other stakes; titanium shepherds hook, mini ground hog, some random y stakes....I still have most of them but prefer the mini groundhogs - they just grip and last so well. I still use the other titanium ones, so if you get a deal or are weighing grams you’ll be fine either way, just be aware that some spots are gonna be rocky and it’ll be a bit of a pain to get a stake in, but you’ll always be able to make it work

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ATGIRL2028 - not to question your math, but given that DCF is twice as expensive as alternatives, difficult for me to imagine the product you have it mind that is only $50 more. If you are considering a tarp, there are a couple of other factors; 1) transparency 2) sound of rain on a tin roof 3) DCF tape absolutely needed in your repair kit (because material is not ripstop). But if light weight is most important over all other factors, DCF is current state-o-art.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I happen to like the sound of rain on the DCF..

Since I am often alone, or with one other person, I don't care about the transparency. Only exception to that was the trip last winter where it was a dead clear night, no leaf cover and a full moon.. I could read a book by moonlight through the tarp.

I always have DCF tape with me.. not a big deal since that stuff is so light. I was with cmoulder on a trip where a carbon fiber trekking pole broke in two. The repair was done with cuben repair tape. Pretty strong and versatile.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I happen to like the sound of rain on the DCF..

I always have DCF tape with me.. not a big deal since that stuff is so light. I was with cmoulder on a trip where a carbon fiber trekking pole broke in two. The repair was done with cuben repair tape. Pretty strong and versatile.
    Likewise, I enjoy the sound. I got 3 or 4 pieces of tape with my tarp and carried em for 2 thrus and used a small little square in the desert once.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Likewise, I enjoy the sound. I got 3 or 4 pieces of tape with my tarp and carried em for 2 thrus and used a small little square in the desert once.
    +3 doesn't bother me.

I've been using various DCF products for about 8 years. The only repair I've done was a tiny patch to a small hole caused by a fire ember on one of the doors of my Duplex. Ticked me off because the tent was pitched a good 40 feet from the fire. Goes to show...
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Dynema vs xenon

here's a question for all of those who have purchased a DCF tarp :

have any of you shelved your DCF tarp and went back to silpoly or silnylon?

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post

Yup, sold it and went back to Silpoly.

Only because I wore it out. It’s starting to de laminate near the ridge line tie outs. I didn’t notice it till I set it up on a sunny morning to show a buddy and he saw those little pin prick holes that are the tell tale. I felt almost hurt when he pointed them out, and have thought about sending it to hammock gear to see what they think.

But I’ve also carried it for two thru hikes. I’ve slept under that thing in all conditions for, what, 10 months total? I think I got my money’s worth.

I have a huge, heavy winter tarp with doors I got from Cave Creek when I bought a let palace. It’s heavy but the coverage is nuts. I’m only really going for short trips now so I don’t really care about weight so much.

If I were to thru hike again I’d invest in dyneema again.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ATGIRL2028 - not to question your math, but given that DCF is twice as expensive as alternatives, difficult for me to imagine the product you have it mind that is only $50 more. If you are considering a tarp, there are a couple of other factors; 1) transparency 2) sound of rain on a tin roof 3) DCF tape absolutely needed in your repair kit (because material is not ripstop). But if light weight is most important over all other factors, DCF is current state-o-art.
    All three of those reasons stated were my hesitation to go for a DCF tarp and after several years of use all of those reasons were found to be overexaggerated. 1) They are not transparent, only translucent.... or nearly opaque if you get the camo. 2) It's not as bad, in my opinion, as what people say 3) I don't know if the material is classified as ripstop but I have had a burn hole in my HG Standard for several years, unpatched, and it has not spread at all.

I agree the packed size is slightly larger but the rectangular brick I can make with it packs nicely and it is not a slippery.

I still use my Silnylon tarp in the winter. I think the snow slides a little easier and I use a middle pole mod.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

No, but if car camping (rarely, but it happens) I will use a cheap tarp I got on Amazon... save the good stuff for when it counts.

I do have a teensy little SLD asym (silnylon) that I use sometimes when I get in the mood to do a really light 1- or 2-night trip and use my 28L MLD Core backpack, where space is at a premium.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast