Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles

Winter tarp

I have a two fold question. I am purchasing a winter tarp from Dutch in the next month or so for the mere reason that I bought a 3/4 length UQ that I can't find an UQ protector for. Does anyone make a protector for this size of UQ? I LOVE to hammock in the rain but I can't afford to get my UQ wet, so the winter tarp was the only solution I could come up with. This being said, question #2, are there poles for porch mode for these winter tarps or am I limited to my trekking poles? I don't want the mod poles or whatever those are called. I just want poles that hold it up in porch mode so I can see the rain.
    Tx for any help.
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    2QZQ will probably have what you're looking for in an UQ protector
    It shouldn't be too difficult to find some sticks to use as poles for porch-mode. That way you don't have to pack any. I'm always able to find some dead ones that work.
    Last edited by peterock68; 01-31-2020 at 06:16.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Many vendors would make you an uqp of what ever size you want
    As for the tarp the same goes,but I would highly recommend a interior pole mod

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Winter tarp

Our very own Two Speed makes custom UQPs, along with other stuff

I used one for my own 3/4 length UQ for all of Washington on my PCT thru last summer

He’s on the forum here and has a shop online called Two Speed Hammocks, I believe. He’s a huge hammock guy and a two time Thru hiker

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by peterock68 View Post
    2QZQ will probably have what you're looking for in an UQ protector
    It shouldn't be too difficult to find some sticks to use as poles for porch-mode. That way you don't have to pack any. I'm always able to find some dead ones that work.
    Oh perfect! Thank you! I will get in contact with them and see what they can do. Then I will weigh my options between which is cheaper overall, a protector and a smaller tarp or just the larger tarp. I suspect option one will win.
    And duh, using dead sticks. Why didn't I think of that! I'm in the woods! Sticks! Lol! Thank you!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Our very own Two Speed makes custom UQPs, along with other stuff

I used one for my own 3/4 length UQ for all of Washington on my PCT thru last summer

He’s on the forum here and has a shop online called Two Speed Hammocks, I believe. He’s a huge hammock guy and a two time Thru hiker
    Super! I will look him up and compare prices! Ty!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First, I'm pretty sure most UQP's are "one size fits all". Remember, you don't have to cover the whole hammock, just the UQ. But I've found the the UQP's I have (from 2QZQ) pretty much cover the whole hammock. So I don't think there is really a "size" issue. At one time, maybe still, 2QZQ offered an optional thicker shock cord on their UQP for people who planned to layer their sleeping pad between the hammock and the UQP. So talk to them about options.

Internal Pole mods are more fuss/expense but they sure look great in photos posted here. A compromise is the external pole mod which is just a "pole" (your hiking poles, collapsible shock-corded poles, sticks, etc.) over the tarp ridge line and connect to the panel pulls. But their mission isn't "porch mod" per say; it's to open up space in the tarp interior.

For me, hiking poles were not long enough to open the view and more importantly, allow me to approach the hammock without ducking my head. I use a collapsible pole from REI. At full length it is six feet long. Usually only one is necessary. In additions to sticks, you might be able to run guy lines to nearby trees. Because you are lifting the edge up, the guy lines could be strung high enough that a person doesn't garrote themselves when walking passed.

When you set up in porch mode, BE SURE that your tarp will still drain rain water and not form a puddle/lake in the tarp just in front of your hammock. And if you do have to lift the tarp area to encourage the water to drain/spill out, pay attention to where you shoes are. I've heard that sometimes, without thinking, a person can drain that rain water right on top of their pack or shoes.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBXLC, Chameleon, RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, AHE, LLCP
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    I use an adjustable paint pole (Longarm, $9.99, Home Depot) for Tarp poles. Cut off a paint roller handle for the tip ($2.50) = $12.50 per pole. Good for porch mode and will use with a larger Tarp since it will extend to six feet. Take off the paint roller handle tip “mod” and the poles are great for their original intended use. E6EE9E30-2E06-42D6-9908-070B826CBD12.jpeg

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Draggingcanoe View Post
    I use an adjustable paint pole (Longarm, $9.99, Home Depot) for Tarp poles. Cut off a paint roller handle for the tip ($2.50) = $12.50 per pole. Good for porch mode and will use with a larger Tarp since it will extend to six feet. Take off the paint roller handle tip “mod” and the poles are great for their original intended use. E6EE9E30-2E06-42D6-9908-070B826CBD12.jpeg
    This looks like a lot to take backpacking trips.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    First, I'm pretty sure most UQP's are "one size fits all". Remember, you don't have to cover the whole hammock, just the UQ. But I've found the the UQP's I have (from 2QZQ) pretty much cover the whole hammock. So I don't think there is really a "size" issue. At one time, maybe still, 2QZQ offered an optional thicker shock cord on their UQP for people who planned to layer their sleeping pad between the hammock and the UQP. So talk to them about options.

Internal Pole mods are more fuss/expense but they sure look great in photos posted here. A compromise is the external pole mod which is just a "pole" (your hiking poles, collapsible shock-corded poles, sticks, etc.) over the tarp ridge line and connect to the panel pulls. But their mission isn't "porch mod" per say; it's to open up space in the tarp interior.

For me, hiking poles were not long enough to open the view and more importantly, allow me to approach the hammock without ducking my head. I use a collapsible pole from REI. At full length it is six feet long. Usually only one is necessary. In additions to sticks, you might be able to run guy lines to nearby trees. Because you are lifting the edge up, the guy lines could be strung high enough that a person doesn't garrote themselves when walking passed.

When you set up in porch mode, BE SURE that your tarp will still drain rain water and not form a puddle/lake in the tarp just in front of your hammock. And if you do have to lift the tarp area to encourage the water to drain/spill out, pay attention to where you shoes are. I've heard that sometimes, without thinking, a person can drain that rain water right on top of their pack or shoes.
    Great advice. I've thought about the guy lines and I've filed that in the back of my mind. That's the best option IF I have enough trees properly placed.
    I've seen people not lift the tarp in rain so I'm VERY aware about that...lol. What a mess that can make!
    Collapsable pole might be ok. Just gotta take it on some backpacking trips this summer to check it's weight.
    Tx for the advice!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast