Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Stake hardware compatible with lawsons 2mm glowire?

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Superfly and I have been enjoying learning about all the different hardware/knot/stake combinations that people use. Had the pleasure of using some of the 2mm glowire on my last tarp and my only complaint was I didn't order enough. For my new tarp guy lines I was thinking about doing shock cord off of the tarp and then hookworms. Sadly from what I have read the hookworms do not work so well with 2mm cord. I had linelocs on my previous tarp and enjoyed the quick adjustments they offered. I like the idea of keeping my lines with the stakes instead of in with the tarp though which would mean taking the line all the way out of the lineloc and threading it back through during setup. Any other fun hardware options (or knots if you really want ) that you have enjoyed with 2mm cord?

Edit:
    Apparently there is no end to the number of products Dutch has made because after posting I was doing some more searching on the forum and just ran into one that mentioned the line lock hook. Seems like that might be a great option with shock cord and lawsons.
    Last edited by Adroa; 01-30-2020 at 01:59. Reason: Added line lock hook info

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I bought some hooks but relying on tension to keep it attached worried me. I'm sure the wind would never blow just right, and even hard enough, to detach the hooks. But still gave me some hesitation while setting up my hot tent the other night. I went with LineLocs instead. Two great options though.

Images
    I believe Hookworms will work with 2mm cord. I'm almost certain the holes in the hookworm are large enough for 2mm cord to pass through, and the hook itself will attach to your shock cord loops. 3/32" shock cord is the best fit with the hooks.

Line locks hooks will also work well for what you want to do, and they're arguably easier to adjust. Without a backup knot, they could allow some slip of 2mm cord under gusty winds, but not as much as slippery 1.75mm Zing It. Hookworms will not slip at all FWIW.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    You can always go 'no hardware' & do knots only. I'm going that route for several reasons & have eliminated hardware on my hammock set up and I'm targeting the tarp guylines next. Here's a good tutorial...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The trucker's hitch...the easiest thing in the world that I somehow cannot do when I need it. I have no idea why. I think I'm just allergic to knots.

The Dutch Hooks won’t work with 2mm Lawson - I know that. They might work with 2.2 hollow core but the Lawson is solid and I could not make it work.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I believe Hookworms will work with 2mm cord. I'm almost certain the holes in the hookworm are large enough for 2mm cord to pass through, and the hook itself will attach to your shock cord loops. 3/32" shock cord is the best fit with the hooks.

Line locks hooks will also work well for what you want to do, and they're arguably easier to adjust. Without a backup knot, they could allow some slip of 2mm cord under gusty winds, but not as much as slippery 1.75mm Zing It. Hookworms will not slip at all FWIW.
    I was reading through a Lawson post on the forum where he went really in depth into the amount of force it would take for a 2mm line vs 3mm line to slip on linelocs (and a bunch of other cool info) and I think I would be pretty comfortable with the tension on a 2mm line, plus you can always add a knot if things are getting extra windy. I really liked the way the 2mm line adjusted smoothly through the linelocs on my other tarp, felt much better than the stock lines that came with it. Maybe the 2.5mm line would have been the best of both worlds!

I have given a knots only approach a thought but for me it just boils down to there not being any knot I want to tie 6 times in a row when I am setting up the tarp and then repeat each time I want to tension the lines again. I did get the pleasure to use a truckers hitch and double dragon loop last week due to ice dams forming on my roof and causing a constant drip on the windows next to my bed... Strung up the Zing It I got recently across the window and hung towels on it, great success! It is nice knowing that if any of my hardware malfunctions or (much more likely) I lose it on a trip I will be okay.

I just spotted the Lawson bar tensioner. Still a bit confused on how exactly they work (even after hunting down a couple of pictures on the forum) but seemed like an interesting possibility.

Edit: Thanks for the confirmation LearnedHat!
    Last edited by Adroa; 01-31-2020 at 01:34. Reason: New Post While Writing

Images
    As a counterpoint, I just tried 2mm Glowire with a Hookworm, attaching the hook to a 3/32" shock cord loop and it works just fine. I'd be interested to hear what problem LearnedHat had getting it to work. I thought maybe he or she meant the trouble was with clipping the hook of the Hookworm to the 2mm Glowire, but that works too. I'll say that it's very slightly easier to tie the simple hitch that secures the line over the pointy part of the Hookworm when using 1.75mm hollow braid than it is in the 2mm kernmantle cordage. But it's not difficult enough to inhibit the functionality at all.

Adroa, regarding the 2.5mm Glowire with LineLocs, Lawson stated that he developed that cordage specifically to be the optimal size for use with LineLoc 3's. They are a good match for sure, but the 2.5mm is a little bulky, borderline overkill for tarp guylines. HYOH and all.

Also, ice dams suck. Good luck!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 01-31-2020 at 10:49.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Edit:
    Apparently there is no end to the number of products Dutch has made because after posting I was doing some more searching on the forum and just ran into one that mentioned the line lock hook. Seems like that might be a great option with shock cord and lawsons.
    No big deal but FWIW, I don't believe Dutch makes the Line Lock hooks or any other plastic hardware; he just resells them. I'm pretty sure the LineLoc stuff is made by a company called ITW Nexus.

Dutchware and Zpacks did collaborate on the custom LineLoc V for smaller diameter cordage, but they're still probably having them manufactured by a separate molding company like ITW.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 01-31-2020 at 11:44.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    ...........................I have given a knots only approach a thought but for me it just boils down to there not being any knot I want to tie 6 times in a row when I am setting up the tarp and then repeat each time I want to tension the lines again. I did get the pleasure to use a truckers hitch and double dragon loop last week due to ice dams forming on my roof and causing a constant drip on the windows next to my.............
    If you use a knot-friendly cord such as Glowire or Guywire, you can simply tie a loop at the guy-out point with almost any kind of adjustable friction knot—such as Blake's hitch, Prusik, etc—and leave it tied on the tarp... absolutely no need to do it each time you deploy the tarp or make an adjustment.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast