DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies

Replacing suspension shock cord?

I've had my HammockGear Incubator 10F (Long, 2oz OS) for about 3 years now, and I noticed particularly this past year that I've started having a cold spot right around where my backsite rests when I'm done for the day or taking a nap. I've been chalking it up to being a bad adjustment on my part, despite multiple shifts, push/pulls of secondary suspensions and baffles, etc. through the night.

Well, recently I picked up a WB Ridgerunner, and experienced a similar problem, despite hanging it on the pole ends (as Shug does in his video review of the RR), it just wouldn't snug up against me. I eventually had to pull it all the way out so that the primary and secondary suspensions were strung all the way to the dog bones of the hammock suspension, AND wrapped around the pole ends, for the quilt to provide proper warmth without getting CBS.

Here's the kicker... I used a different quilt I own, an Incubator Econ 10F (Short, 2 oz OS) and it strapped up just fine, providing the warmth but not quite fitting me (it's my girlfriend's quilt after all!)

So I am wondering - Should I replace the primary suspension shock cord to something larger gauge? Has anyone ever had a problem of a quilt being too heavy for the standard suspension? I've also considered getting so quilt hooks for the sides, but I don't thing that will cinch the quilt up quite to where I need it. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Shock cord does deteriorate over time
    Have you tried shifting the down in the quilt?
    Try shining a flashlight through it in the dark

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are sort of two issues at play here. One is replacing old shock cord - certainly doable. You can use a safety pin or some such to connect the new cord to the old. That way, as you pull the old cord out, it will pull the new cord in. I've read that some people have just pulled the old cord out first, then had to snake the new cord in the channels. If you plan to use what you have as the primary UQ for the RR, you would probably be better served with the next weight up bungee than what came standard (designed/selected for a GE).

The second issue is the fit of the UQ on the RR. I'm sure many do it successfully. But WB's "made for the RR" UQ's are soooo nice, easy to put on, and work well. I can't remember what mini-biners mine came with, but I've put red mini-biners at the head end ("Red at the head.") so I can just grab it and know which end I'm fastening. So much easier if circumstances require you to setup in the dark. Now that I think of it - that goes for the GE UQ's as well. They definitely have a head/foot end and just seeing the color of the mini-biner is easier than looking for the manufacturer's label.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Can you throw a few knots in the check cord or wrap it around a binder to effectively shorten it as a test before replacing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Can you throw a few knots in the check cord or wrap it around a binder to effectively shorten it as a test before replacing it?
    That's definitely the next step for me. I did the first test run during a lunch break, so I'll have to get out and do some more testing this weekend.

As for migrating down the down, I certainly have tried that, multiple times - heck, every time I felt the CBS coming in! Moving my hand underneath, I can feel a definite gap between the hammock and UQ as I lay in it. I've had this problem on both the RR and traditional GE's, both standard lengths and wides. Wrapping the cordage to simulate a tighter hold is the next step, if that works I'll still probably replace the cordage. As for the whole process... I've changed out continuous loops on all my GE hammocks multiple times, so I'm quite familiar with the good old safety-pin secrets! hahaha. In fact, I'd probably just time the end of the old cord to the end of new cordage and pull it through that way.

Getting the Lynx UQ is an investment I would LOVE to make in the future, I'm really enjoying the RR. Haven't gone camping in it yet, but the naps I've taken have been phenomenal, lol.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Yeah.. gotta get the quilt up against you. You can also try redirecting the suspension, up to the SRL, so the quilt is being pulled up as well as out. I do that on all of my hammocks & quilts.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    I've had my HammockGear Incubator 10F (Long, 2oz OS) for about 3 years now, and I noticed particularly this past year that I've started having a cold spot right around where my backsite rests when I'm done for the day or taking a nap. I've been chalking it up to being a bad adjustment on my part, despite multiple shifts, push/pulls of secondary suspensions and baffles, etc. through the night.

Well, recently I picked up a WB Ridgerunner, and experienced a similar problem, despite hanging it on the pole ends (as Shug does in his video review of the RR), it just wouldn't snug up against me. I eventually had to pull it all the way out so that the primary and secondary suspensions were strung all the way to the dog bones of the hammock suspension, AND wrapped around the pole ends, for the quilt to provide proper warmth without getting CBS.

Here's the kicker... I used a different quilt I own, an Incubator Econ 10F (Short, 2 oz OS) and it strapped up just fine, providing the warmth but not quite fitting me (it's my girlfriend's quilt after all!)

So I am wondering - Should I replace the primary suspension shock cord to something larger gauge? Has anyone ever had a problem of a quilt being too heavy for the standard suspension? I've also considered getting so quilt hooks for the sides, but I don't thing that will cinch the quilt up quite to where I need it. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    There is another phenomenon to keep in mind: Synthetic rubber can have reduced elasticity—or lose it entirely!— in cold weather. The cords might need to be re-tightened during the night.

I found this out the hard way, with a tent, at -25°F with howling wind, in the middle of the night in Maine. The tent was a Bibler Eldorado and trying to pitch it was a nightmare because the shock cords inside the poles had gone totally limp and it was like wrestling a greased pig to get them to stay in place while installing them inside those little button thingies in the corners, all while wearing thick mittens. Later, I notified Bibler and they said this was a "known issue" sent me a set of the "arctic" poles that use shock cords made with natural rubber. I didn't even know there was such a thing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I usually did this with every new UQ right out of the box. I was told they're designed for 11' hammocks, and I use 10' or 10.5. So I definitely befitted from tying a simple knot to eat up about 3" of cord to start.

I think a good guide is to not go crazy with the secondary suspension. It shouldn't be used to make big adjustments; more for a final fine tuning to lightly pull the UQ end to end.

When I purchased a 30° Phincubator, it has the Phoenix cord (forget what size). So I immediately switched to what would have been in the Incubator (also forget the size). Easy to just measure the same length, cut, tie to old cord, and pull thru.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I usually did this with every new UQ right out of the box. I was told they're designed for 11' hammocks, and I use 10' or 10.5. So I definitely befitted from tying a simple knot to eat up about 3" of cord to start.

I think a good guide is to not go crazy with the secondary suspension. It shouldn't be used to make big adjustments; more for a final fine tuning to lightly pull the UQ end to end.
    Good to hear from experience, the knots are what I will try first. Would you replace the cordage after that if you found the knots helped? It's only a few grams to leave a few inches of shock cord, but hey... Grams are grams! hahaha. I've definitely never used the secondary / baffle ties heavily, I watched a LOT of content - mostly ol Shuggie - before I purchased those years ago, and have been diligent to not over tighten those two. Of course, when you're having CBS, you do some pretty radical stuff in the night to find some relief... So I can't say I've never over-tightened. But when I did, the difference was notable.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    Good to hear from experience, the knots are what I will try first. Would you replace the cordage after that if you found the knots helped?
    I would probably just wait it out personally. I haven't changed any due to wear yet. I sold a lot of quilts and repurchased so none are very old...maybe 4 years on my oldest one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast