G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I highly doubt the SC needs replacing. I’ve got a few quilts beyond ten years old that still work, but may need seasonal modifications.
    A quick visual inspection will tell you if your SC is decayed.

Probably a few things at play here.

The cord(s) may have lost some of its original elasticity? The simple fix is redoing the main with a new knot. No need to cut any of it as you may need the length for a future hammock.

Your cord locks may also be weaker than original. Or doesn’t work at 100% in the colder temps?
    The tighter you pull the SC, the smaller the diameter becomes, decreasing bite force of the cord lock.
    Back up any SC/cord lock connection with a simple overhand knot, behind the cord locks. The knot can be removed in the future for varying hammocks or adjusting fit. This applies to secondary and head/foot end adjustments, as well.

If your a true UL, you can trim excess cord once you get a good fitting quilt.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I tore a shock cord due to over stretching; could someone recommend standard replacement thickness for a 3/4 UQ, and best place to find this?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I tore a shock cord due to over stretching; could someone recommend standard replacement thickness for a 3/4 UQ, and best place to find this?
    What temp rating? I think my 40° & 50° 3/4 length UQs have 3/32" primary suspension shock cord, my 20° full length UQs have 1/8" shock cord, and my -20° has even heavier, like 3/16" or 1/4". I also have a Jacks R Better Greylock 4 (0° 3/4 length), but can't recall what it has. 1/8" or 3/16" probably.

You can get 3/32" and 1/8" from Dutchware or from Ripstop by the Roll. Not sure about the larger stuff.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 01-30-2020 at 21:08.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    OK, little update time. I haven't gotten to test it with my Chameleon Wide yet, but I just tied a few knots in the suspension and tried that with both the Ridgerunner and my Dutchware Netless.

Ridgerunner: Despite tying off nearly 8-12" and having the quilt "pulled" up very tight in the primary suspension, there is still a large gap between me and the quilt when I lay in the hammock. It seems like the quilt isn't being pulled out wide enough, and sags down at the bottom of the quilt's center of gravity because of that. The suspension was TIGHT!

Netless: taking off the knots in stages (I had 3 knots, ~4" each), it seems like it stayed warm and I got that immediate coziness from every stage except the very last, which I was able to feel maybe 1/4" - 1/2" gap. The temp in the gym (where I am hanging today) was pretty reasonable, around 68F, and after tightening the baffles on the head end it seems like the cold spots - upper shoulder - cleared up.

Might just be that the Incubator 10F Long doesn't want to work out with the Ridgerunner... The only other thing it might be is an issue with how I am suspending the actual hammock. When I tested with the Incubator Small, I was about 15' apart on the poles, but when I was testing the Large UQ I was ~20' apart. I'll test from the shorter position next week and report results, along with bringing in the Chameleon W to test out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    OK, little update time. I haven't gotten to test it with my Chameleon Wide yet, but I just tied a few knots in the suspension and tried that with both the Ridgerunner and my Dutchware Netless.

Ridgerunner: Despite tying off nearly 8-12" and having the quilt "pulled" up very tight in the primary suspension, there is still a large gap between me and the quilt when I lay in the hammock. It seems like the quilt isn't being pulled out wide enough, and sags down at the bottom of the quilt's center of gravity because of that. The suspension was TIGHT!

Netless: taking off the knots in stages (I had 3 knots, ~4" each), it seems like it stayed warm and I got that immediate coziness from every stage except the very last, which I was able to feel maybe 1/4" - 1/2" gap. The temp in the gym (where I am hanging today) was pretty reasonable, around 68F, and after tightening the baffles on the head end it seems like the cold spots - upper shoulder - cleared up.

Might just be that the Incubator 10F Long doesn't want to work out with the Ridgerunner... The only other thing it might be is an issue with how I am suspending the actual hammock. When I tested with the Incubator Small, I was about 15' apart on the poles, but when I was testing the Large UQ I was ~20' apart. I'll test from the shorter position next week and report results, along with bringing in the Chameleon W to test out.
    Yes the RR and HG Incubator may not be the best match.
    You can see me hooking up a partial UQ at 7:05 below.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I usually did this with every new UQ right out of the box. I was told they're designed for 11' hammocks, and I use 10' or 10.5. So I definitely befitted from tying a simple knot to eat up about 3" of cord to start.

I think a good guide is to not go crazy with the secondary suspension. It shouldn't be used to make big adjustments; more for a final fine tuning to lightly pull the UQ end to end.

When I purchased a 30° Phincubator, it has the Phoenix cord (forget what size). So I immediately switched to what would have been in the Incubator (also forget the size). Easy to just measure the same length, cut, tie to old cord, and pull thru.
    Yep.. I've done the same since I too, use 10.5's.

Redirecting the primary up to the hammocks SRL takes up a decent amount of slack and seems to be the winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Geez.. wish I knew you needed this. I would have sent you some with the micro cord..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    The best thing ive found is to put a Lineloc 3 on it to find how long you need it. It allows complete adjustability. Once you find your ideal length, remove the Lineloc3 and tie a knot. In the picture below you cant see the Linelocs but it shows where I have pulled excess shock cord to tighten the Underquilt. The picture is of a synthetic quilt. I received a Loco Libre quilt yesterday and I did the same thing with it. I automatically change the shock cord out because I want yellow. The cord I put on it is much stronger than the cord that comes on it so I cant use the same length.

IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodNinja View Post
    The best thing ive found is to put a Lineloc 3 on it to find how long you need it. It allows complete adjustability. Once you find your ideal length, remove the Lineloc3 and tie a knot. In the picture below you cant see the Linelocs but it shows where I have pulled excess shock cord to tighten the Underquilt. The picture is of a synthetic quilt. I received a Loco Libre quilt yesterday and I did the same thing with it. I automatically change the shock cord out because I want yellow. The cord I put on it is much stronger than the cord that comes on it so I cant use the same length.

IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg
    Where do you source your cord, or what is the brand if you don't mind. I have a Synthetic UQ I made out of double layrs of 7.5 climashield and the shock cord I got for it isn't strong enough to suspend it proper like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Where do you source your cord, or what is the brand if you don't mind. I have a Synthetic UQ I made out of double layrs of 7.5 climashield and the shock cord I got for it isn't strong enough to suspend it proper like.

I got it from paracord planet. Ive bought from quite a few places and he seems to have some of the stronger stuff. Also, I have past experience with marine grade shock cord and it is good stuff. I always got it from random boat shops. On the 3 quilts Ive replaced the shock cord on, I used 1/8" for the primary.

https://www.paracordplanet.com/parac...hock-cord/1-8/
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodNinja View Post
    I got it from paracord planet. Ive bought from quite a few places and he seems to have some of the stronger stuff. Also, I have past experience with marine grade shock cord and it is good stuff. I always got it from random boat shops. On the 3 quilts Ive replaced the shock cord on, I used 1/8" for the primary.

https://www.paracordplanet.com/parac...hock-cord/1-8/
    can't see it but that's me doing my happy dance!! Maybe my Synthetic UC problems are done
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast