Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    Dam that first pic is seriously amazing
    And the second not to shabby either

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thx!

Well, it was no epic board trip up north but a morning hike and a little breakfast camp started the day well enough.

Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Blackbird warbonnet
    Tarp
    LiteAF
    Insulation
    anything with down
    Suspension
    all the above
    Despite the rain and it was a great weekend, Me and my sister Kate had a great time hanging out in our makeshift shelter..got a nice hike in after the rains on Saturday.
    And got try out a few new products, like the LiteAF dyneema 12 foot with doors.
    It worked Flawlessly Saturday with all that rain , and it dries so quickly...
    The other was the simply light hammock quilt catch all sack,, Perfect for car camping. In my basement I just set up my hammock ,quilts ,under quilt Protector slid the sack on Put the whole thing in a big plastic bag and loaded in the car ,set up was simple.. Thanks for a great time, see you next year!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Nice Pics RD!
    Does anyone know what experiments were conducted in the experimental field?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Does anyone know what experiments were conducted in the experimental field?
    Good question. I was proud of knowing that the photo was of the experimental field, even though, after browsing the internet, I can't really find any proof that it was ever called "experimental field." Nevertheless, I'm positive it used to show up on Google Maps and Bing as "experimental field" at one point.

If you ask me, they experimented trying to grow different things in the Pine Barrens soil, and they concluded: nothing can grow in that sandy soil but pine trees and scrub oaks. I always ask myself, how can there be 1.1 million acres of sparsely populated land, in the middle of the most populous state in the nation (over 1,000 residents per square acre)? It defies logic, but the truth is that the Pine Barrens soil is just sand - you can't grow crap in the Pine Barrens other than blueberries and cranberries. That's why the history of the Pine Barrens shows nothing but economic failure. The land ain't worth much.

Cool fact: a few years ago, I was hiking off trail from Mullica River to Batsto Village. It was fall, and I came upon a persimmon tree. These trees aren't native to America, and definitely aren't native to New Jersey. Somebody planted this tree, probably over 100 years ago, and it was surviving out in the Pine Barrens! Luckily, some of the fruit was ripe so I was able to enjoy a persimmon feast (note: never eat a raw, unripe persimmon - it will turn your face inside out - it hurts).

Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-07-2020 at 01:50.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Good question. I was proud of knowing that the photo was of the experimental field, even though, after browsing the internet, I can't really find any proof that it was ever called "experimental field." Nevertheless, I'm positive it used to show up on Google Maps and Bing as "experimental field" at one point.

If you ask me, they experimented trying to grow different things in the Pine Barrens soil, and they concluded: nothing can grow in that sandy soil but pine trees and scrub oaks. I always ask myself, how can there be 1.1 million acres of sparsely populated land, in the middle of the most populous state in the nation (over 1,000 residents per square acre)? It defies logic, but the truth is that the Pine Barrens soil is just sand - you can't grow crap in the Pine Barrens other than blueberries and cranberries. That's why the history of the Pine Barrens shows nothing but economic failure. The land ain't worth much.

Cool fact: a few years ago, I was hiking off trail from Mullica River to Batsto Village. It was fall, and I came upon a persimmon tree. These trees aren't native to America, and definitely aren't native to New Jersey. Somebody planted this tree, probably over 100 years ago, and it was surviving out in the Pine Barrens! Luckily, some of the fruit was ripe so I was able to enjoy a persimmon feast (note: never eat a raw, unripe persimmon - it will turn your face inside out - it hurts).

Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin...I have several persimmon trees in my backyard of the FUYU variety (southern Maryland). They are quite good, and indeed are a fall fruit. The type of persimmon that Silvrsurfr is referring to is probably the astringent (when unripe) Hachiya variety. Both are excellent to eat when ripe, although the FUYU can be eaten even when slightly unripe, and is crunchy like an apple or softer as it gets riper and sweeter.. They have the flavor of honey and cinnamon. Great pics of the barrens Ratdog... Looks like a good time was had by all. Hope to see you all at an upcoming hang soon in 2020.

Ocean County, NJ / Hillsborough County, NH
    Hammock
    DutchWare Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG TQ20*&UQ30*0*
    Suspension
    TS & Whoopie sling
    Images
    1st time attending met a great group of people guys @ sites 12 & 10 was great tobe your neighbor a d thanks for welcoming me in. P.S. Ammo a cool little K9 . Friday was fantastic haven't seen that many Stars in a Jersey night sky in a long time. For those that got to partake in the venison hindquarter HOPEFULLY you enjoy it.
    Saturday morning and day wet and rainy no doubt. Dry up later in the day lead to another wonderful night's sky. And hanging around the firepit. Overall a great first experience at a hang. That canoe trip sounds cool too.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images

If you ask me, they experimented trying to grow different things in the Pine Barrens soil, and they concluded: nothing can grow in that sandy soil but pine trees and scrub oaks. I always ask myself, how can there be 1.1 million acres of sparsely populated land, in the middle of the most populous state in the nation (over 1,000 residents per square acre)? It defies logic, but the truth is that the Pine Barrens soil is just sand - you can't grow crap in the Pine Barrens other than blueberries and cranberries. That's why the history of the Pine Barrens shows nothing but economic failure. The land ain't worth much...
    Agreed. I'm sure I've seen "Experimental Field" on a map but I've checked all the maps I have and it's not there anymore. Strange.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    ... the truth is that the Pine Barrens soil is just sand - you can't grow crap in the Pine Barrens other than blueberries and cranberries. That's why the history of the Pine Barrens shows nothing but economic failure. The land ain't worth much. ...
    Don't forget about bog iron and glass.

Hammock
    Blackbird warbonnet
    Tarp
    LiteAF
    Insulation
    anything with down
    Suspension
    all the above
    Hi Folks,,
    Will there be a Winter hang this year?

Thanks