DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've recorded from the outside with my phone to get an idea of what's going on. End channels somewhat loose since your feet and legs are going to fill up that space anyway. That counter-intuitive thinking threw me for a loop and served me with some cold, failed nights until I figured it out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by possum daddy View Post
    It’s a full length Wooki... still working on lingo, sawwy. Edited OP

The hoodie is a Pat Nano thingy that gets crazy warm

Tons of great stuff to think about with the UQ. I’ll see if I can get another set of eyes on it with me in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, scratch everything I said about adjusting the Yeti, or most UQs. I don't think there is anything to adjust on the Wookie is there? It's either warm enough, or it's not. And surely a 0F should be way more than warm enough for 30F. So, it must be TQ related, guess.

It is important to know exactly where you were cold- if possible - to determine if t is an UQ problem, or a TQ problem. Since djustment is so simple and non adjustable on the Wookie(right?), I am suspecting drafts around the TQs neck/shoulder area. And or not having 3" of loft surrounding your head as we do with a mummy bag.

Can you cinch that TQ snugly around your neck and shoulders?

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, scratch everything I said about adjusting the Yeti, or most UQs. I don't think there is anything to adjust on the Wookie is there? It's either warm enough, or it's not. And surely a 0F should be way more than warm enough for 30F. So, it must be TQ related, guess.

It is important to know exactly where you were cold- if possible - to determine if t is an UQ problem, or a TQ problem. Since djustment is so simple and non adjustable on the Wookie(right?), I am suspecting drafts around the TQs neck/shoulder area. And or not having 3" of loft surrounding your head as we do with a mummy bag.

Can you cinch that TQ snugly around your neck and shoulders?
    Using @OneClick ‘s tip to film myself getting in and out, I double checked and didn’t see any gaps in the UQ. Very little to adjust anyways, but I think that part’s good. Appreciate what you and others wrote about adjusting a 3/4 UQ - I will eventually get there but planning on using my pad for warmer weather first to see how I like/tolerate it.

One thing I noticed by filming myself is I had my feet off the insulated bit. I’m now scooting back my lay which should help some.

I bet I did gradually lose heat around my collar as the night went on. I had my TQ partially cinched but not snapped behind me

Down hood pretty standard for people in low 30s?

Thanks again everyone

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by possum daddy View Post
    Using @OneClick ‘s tip to film myself getting in and out, I double checked and didn’t see any gaps in the UQ. Very little to adjust anyways, but I think that part’s good. Appreciate what you and others wrote about adjusting a 3/4 UQ - I will eventually get there but planning on using my pad for warmer weather first to see how I like/tolerate it.

One thing I noticed by filming myself is I had my feet off the insulated bit. I’m now scooting back my lay which should help some.

I bet I did gradually lose heat around my collar as the night went on. I had my TQ partially cinched but not snapped behind me

Down hood pretty standard for people in low 30s?

Thanks again everyone

Actually, I'm not sure there are that many of us using one. Not compared to how many people use some version of hats, caps, balaclavas or jacket hoods, or possibly some combination of those. And I got by with all of those for the first few years, and managed more than a few single-digit/low 20s hangs while staying warm enough. However, I feel my ability to use a top quilt at it's rated temp or below made a big Leap forward when I added the Hood from JRB.

One thing that helped me originally decide that this approach(separate hood) might be a good idea for me were a few cold hangs that were rescued once I abandoned trying to use either a true quilt or my sleeping bag as a quilt. And instead got inside one of my sleeping bags and zipped it up and snugged the hood. Now, this was never as comfortable in the hammock as a quilt was. But, if memory serves, every time it solved the problem and I went from either a little too cool or outright cold to toasty warm.

So I always figured two things were going on here. First, if I was having any draft problems with my quilt, which I think I was especially prone to around the neck and shoulders while trying to use a mummy bag as quilt(Hood got in the way, usually could not cinch it behind/around my neck), this was instantly solved 100% once I zipped up in that mommy bag. And if I was having any issues lifting some edge up during my sleep, this was also instantly solved.

But the other thing that always took place once I got inside the bag: I now had–in addition to whatever headgear I was already wearing, insulation that was at least as thick as the rest of my bag, snuggly wrapped around my head, neck, and part of my face. So it's hard for me to say which of those was the biggest factor. Perhaps they were about equal? I don't know. But I can say that ever since I added that JRB hood, I have never had issues again sleeping at or below the rated temperatures of my top quilts. However, I'm sure during that time I also improved in my abilities to avoid drafts with my quilts. The old learning curve. But even so, I remain convinced that adding the hood was a big help.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have both 0 and 20 degree wookies. As long as the cord is secured on the head end and the rubber band on the foot is knotted properly, they are pretty much set it and forget. You actually only have to adjust them if you want gaps to vent. I was just out with the 20 down to about 25 degrees with no problems. I had on lightweight merino for sleepwear.

I primarily sleep on my side but also flop around on my back throughout the night.If I don't secure my top quilt around my neck, my shoulder or back definitely can get cold when on my side. Since a wookie has limited insulation, it doesn't provide as much coverage on the sides and the TQ is more important to secure properly. Especially in the wind or when it gets below freezing. One other thing if you move around a lot is to make sure the wookie stays centered over your body. I have had it shift some to one side or the other. If you have the bugnet on, unzip a little section by the storage shelf and you can pull it back over your feet if it slips off them.

To speak to hats, I found my blackrock down beanie was too hot in upper 20's and I preferred a fleece around that temp. I was also experimenting with the Bad Weather Bonnet and that thing is insane. It probably shouldn't come out until single digits or below.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    @reznix very helpful, thanks. I think I have some TQ-while-hanging skills to improve on

Should I be trying to keep my feet “just” inside the wooki insulation? I’m 6’2”... I feel like if I scoot back much closer towards the head end I’ll have to lower it significantly so that my neck isn’t too flexed

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    With the blackbird, I find having the head end a good amount lower helps prevent any neck flex and positions your body best. Now, I am 6' so I have 2 less inches to deal with. I keep my feet right near the end of the insulation and it kind of wraps half way up your soles in the footbox. I can usually reach out on the shoulder side to feel the insulation stop around my neck or so. Inside the hammock, my arm can touch the head end while still half bent more or less. If I have to reach up to touch the top end than I'm usually too far south so to speak. While I love the wookie as far as weight and no fuss, sometimes you have to make sure your 'centered' on it just right. For your height, probably more so. All that being said, I would still make sure your TQ is sealed good around you.

Here's a recent pic that shows the foot to head differential that works for me. Usually it involves the foot end being closer to the tree rather than equal distance.
    winter1.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    With the blackbird, I find having the head end a good amount lower helps prevent any neck flex and positions your body best. Now, I am 6' so I have 2 less inches to deal with. I keep my feet right near the end of the insulation and it kind of wraps half way up your soles in the footbox. I can usually reach out on the shoulder side to feel the insulation stop around my neck or so. Inside the hammock, my arm can touch the head end while still half bent more or less. If I have to reach up to touch the top end than I'm usually too far south so to speak. While I love the wookie as far as weight and no fuss, sometimes you have to make sure your 'centered' on it just right. For your height, probably more so. All that being said, I would still make sure your TQ is sealed good around you.

Here's a recent pic that shows the foot to head differential that works for me. Usually it involves the foot end being closer to the tree rather than equal distance.
    winter1.jpg
    Excellent description and demo photo.

It took me a while to figure out that even with my 10' Darien the foot should be significantly higher for maintaining best sleep position.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Think will just need to drop it a bit more to fit more squarely on the wooki

Currently ~12” lower, that fit me fine for sleeping at warmer temps, but puts my feet off the wooki

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12