Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Sorry to ask one more question on minutia, do the kevlar straps pull out from knots like J Bend when taking down as easily or easier than spider straps?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Sorry to ask one more question on minutia, do the kevlar straps pull out from knots like J Bend when taking down as easily or easier than spider straps?
    I've not used Dutch spider, however Kevlar is noticeably easier to release than Venom and Myerstech, which are similar to Spider... Venom especially so. I use Kevlar with the slipped Lapp Hitch and it is insanely easy to release. Was hanging on it just last night and this morning released easy-peasy.

Recent photo of HG camo tarp with my chocolate Kevlar straps... much less obtrusive than the regular yellow. (That's my pack hanging on the hammock CL with poncho covering it... got a lot of rain that night!) BTW, the tarp's ridge and guy lines are dark olive Lawson Guywire.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Maybe my enthusiasm for Kevlar would be easier to understand if some history was provided.

First quest into UL was replacing standard 6' straps + whoopie with spider webbing. That was okay, but I didn't enjoy flattening it out each morning before I broke camp. It felt like slick tape as opposed to the feel of a strap.

Expediency is important to me and I'm a little OCD, so the next move was attaching Amsteel to 4' of Kevlar to make a total length of 12'. This setup is low volume and unbelievably light. But March mornings on the Ozark Highland Trail can be chilly. It seemingly took forever for my cold fingers to untie the J-Bends when breaking camp. In frustration, liberties were taken with the knot process that eventually lowered me to the ground one night (lesson learned: experiment with knots at your own risk). As neat as setup looked, I could not make Amsteel work. Other hangers have been able to make it work; not me.

Kevlar 3.3 is my current setup. Lapp Hitch, Becket, or J-Bend? . . . . doesn't matter, they all work like a charm. Yes the 3.3 is a little bulky, but is is easy, reliable, and fast. It will be my goto setup until the next great thing comes along.
    I took a very similar progression, with a Dynaglide UCR pit stop in the middle, but never got dropped by any of it. I settled on the 2.2 Kevlar as my Nirvana. Stuff is unobtainable now, but I scored a roll of it.. so I'm good for a long time. My first set of 2.2's is showing a little fray after.. what... three years? So I am going to cut them down to huggers and try an Amsteel leader with a Lapp Hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I have a tendency for OCD, but the bunching doesn't really bother me as I can make it neat again with very little trouble.
    I tried.. I swear. They just take up too much space when packing them.

Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    ......However I have to agree Dirocm, I've mostly never tried Kevlar because I like more muted colors in the wilderness so purely aesthetics as well. However the dynaweave has worked flawlessly so far and is a bit lighter and more compact so maybe never will.
    I was going to mention cmoulders die job and then.. there you go..

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    But how much weight did the dye add?!
    I saw his kit in the wild. The thing just disappears into the trees. Even the straight lines defy detection.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Another vote for the 2.2 if you can find it anywhere. 1.9 was available for a while too. These release incredibly easy. 3.3 does too. Never had a problem.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I dyed this pair for my 'stealth' tarp setup and it works great. Followed directions and have hung on these about 10 times with no discernible change in the color. I left the Amsteel Evo loops on when I dyed them and that is 'keeping' nicely as well. The dye to use is the one pictured, which is formulated for synthetics.
    Thanks so much again for the tip. Finally got around to this over the weekend (after having the dye for three months :P) Turned out slicker than the unmentionable. Really, really pleased. The only thing I did differently was leave them in overnight covered outside. /tips hat to you

Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    We have a great source for UL Hammock camping in Fireinmybones. I'd greatly encourage you to search out his Full Comfort UL Hammock video. right here on the HF site. There is also a link to his pack list on page 3.

I'm currently working hard to replicate the kit in the video, paying special attention the the tarp/hammock suspension. It eliminates the need and weight of a second set of suspensions and gets the HH tarp sag problem addressed properly. Going with a hammock with sewn in insulation, also gets rid of the additional shock-cord suspension weight there as well.

If you go over to Sheltowee and take a look, things can be deceiving. They are currently building heavier than what we need for UL..but can be encouraged to custom build lighter. 2bls is a reasonable target weight IMO. I think you can even get a little lighter w/o a fixed bug net.

Its a huge jump volume wise for me as well. Had to spend the change for the clothing(watch for sales). At least I was already in trailrunners!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Thanks so much again for the tip. Finally got around to this over the weekend (after having the dye for three months :P) Turned out slicker than the unmentionable. Really, really pleased. The only thing I did differently was leave them in overnight covered outside. /tips hat to you

Looks good! I am still happy with the color for stealth use now that I've had plenty of opportunities to use it with trees/bushes all leafed out.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234