Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Holistic is a good description.

Hammock/quilts/tarp cover the sleep/shelter requirements but the rest is just as important.

Good websites to check, AdventureAlan (he's a hanger and tenter), Long Distance Hiker (Beardoh), and Mike Clelland's UL series on YT. And many more.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Someone once asked a famous rock climber what it took to become "World Class". He answered, "A wife that works". Perhaps its the same with acquiring UL hammock gear. My one move toward lighter hammock camping will be trying an Alcohol Stove. If the hammock bug net is not built in, I've switched over to carrying a HUG style - especially for day hikes/picnics.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I think it’s important to factor in your experience level. Many of the posters on this site are highly experienced and very knowledgeable, which gives them flexibility. I switched from tent to hammock to prepare for a thruhike, and I’m still on the steep part of the learning curve. After about 7-10 nights out in the hammock I started to be comfortable with lightening up the setup (reduce hardware with knots, using uhmw straps for suspension, 3/4 UQ). If I had tried to start really light ( and particularly without practice) on a thruhike, I would have had some long, cold nights (and I may still). You can also cut costs by doing this gradually, buying and selling lightly used equipment as you go, which is what I have done. Then you just need a wealthy spouse or partner so you can buy the ultimate 950fp yeti UQ with nylon that is practically spiderweb in thickness, and hope they don’t look too closely at credit card receipts and the small, ultralight weight packages that show up frequently on your porch.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    Ultralight but not stupid light:

A half-zip hammock like the Dream Hammock Darien, using the lightest fabric that will support your weight (for most men, that DH option is 1.3oz MTN XL Hybrid), #3 zipper.

Quilts with the lightest fabrics (7D ripstop from Enlightened Equipment) and highest fill power down, suited for the expected temperatures.

12' UHMWPE straps like Dynaweave or Spider-Web, becket hitch on continuous loops.

Knots instead of hardware.

Dyneema tarp with full coverage. IMO asym tarps fall under "stupid light."

MSR Groundhogs. Don't f* around with your stakes.
    This ^^^ is my kit with the following caveats...

Half Wit style net instead of a Half Zip..
    Kevlar straps
    Lawson HD Ti stakes

This is what works for me, and what I have evolved into.. not with the intent to be UL, but to be uncomplicated and reliable as possible.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I think it’s important to factor in your experience level. Many of the posters on this site are highly experienced and very knowledgeable, which gives them flexibility. I switched from tent to hammock to prepare for a thruhike, and I’m still on the steep part of the learning curve. After about 7-10 nights out in the hammock I started to be comfortable with lightening up the setup (reduce hardware with knots, using uhmw straps for suspension, 3/4 UQ). If I had tried to start really light ( and particularly without practice) on a thruhike, I would have had some long, cold nights (and I may still). You can also cut costs by doing this gradually, buying and selling lightly used equipment as you go, which is what I have done. Then you just need a wealthy spouse or partner so you can buy the ultimate 950fp yeti UQ with nylon that is practically spiderweb in thickness, and hope they don’t look too closely at credit card receipts and the small, ultralight weight packages that show up frequently on your porch.
    Really agree with this post. Now in 5th year of hammocking, amazed to realize what I still do not know in terms of hammock skills. The other thing to be learned are MY own personal preferences. For example, setting up and breaking camp became a big deal to me, so adding a few grams for a snakeskin & kevlar 3.3 straps became worth it to me.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Recalc, you’re 4 years ahead of me. I could write the first chapter in ‘How to switch from lightweight tent/tarp backpacking to hammock’:

1. Read the ultimate hang 2; comprehensive, nice writing style, helpful illustrations;
    2. Throw a few logs on the fire and watch some Shug videos;
    3. Do some reading on this forum and get some practice with a typical GE hammock;
    4. Make a bunch of mistakes, gradually lighten your setup, and search her for solutions using the search function;
    5. Ask questions here, get helpful advice. It really helps when the experienced posters disagree a bit (see current posts on uqp versus larger tarp, using miniUCRs,etc).
    6. Don’t film your early efforts. I could have some great video showing me slowly sliding to the ground when I turned my WB buckles sideways, nearly sitting on my UQ instead of the hammock, and ( multiple episodes) of trying to find my pillow in the dark, then locating it on the wet ground under my hammock.

I think the biggest mistake i’ve made was not attending a group hang, that would have sped up the learning curve, i’d put that in chapter 2.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    This ^^^ is my kit with the following caveats...

Half Wit style net instead of a Half Zip..
    Kevlar straps
    Lawson HD Ti stakes

This is what works for me, and what I have evolved into.. not with the intent to be UL, but to be uncomplicated and reliable as possible.
    Plus one, and this is along the lines of what I use. I also recommend the book Backpackin' Light by Mike Cleeland. Lots of good info on how to lighten one's pack, AND be comfortable/safe. I backpack with the Darien 11' DH hammock and use UHMWPE or kevlar straps using the marlin spike hitch, so no carabiners to add weight. I suppose i could stand to shed another 8 oz or so if I used a DCF tarp, but I am mostly a car camper/base camper, not a thruhiker thus I haven't shrunk my tarp yet.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Really agree with this post. Now in 5th year of hammocking, amazed to realize what I still do not know in terms of hammock skills. The other thing to be learned are MY own personal preferences. For example, setting up and breaking camp became a big deal to me, so adding a few grams for a snakeskin & kevlar 3.3 straps became worth it to me.
    It's interesting to see that even for UL most folks give up the slight weight/volume advantage of UHMWPE webbing (Venom/Spider/Dynaweave/Myerstech etc) in favor of the far more 'well-behaved' Kevlar.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It's interesting to see that even for UL most folks give up the slight weight/volume advantage of UHMWPE webbing (Venom/Spider/Dynaweave/Myerstech etc) in favor of the far more 'well-behaved' Kevlar.
    Could you comment on this difference? I've noted that my spider straps tend to roll up and behave almost like a cord at times, and they retain that in storage, they're odd to handle. Is it worth it to switch to kevlar?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Could you comment on this difference? I've noted that my spider straps tend to roll up and behave almost like a cord at times, and they retain that in storage, they're odd to handle. Is it worth it to switch to kevlar?
    Yes, that's it exactly... much more like a cord than webbing in actual use. Kevlar doesn't bunch up, at least nothing like UHMWPE.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast