Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Could you comment on this difference? I've noted that my spider straps tend to roll up and behave almost like a cord at times, and they retain that in storage, they're odd to handle. Is it worth it to switch to kevlar?
    The tendency to bunch up like that is a show stopper for me. Kevlar has proven to be without fault for my style and needs (and my mild OCD).
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Ultralight Hammockers - Give us your wisdom.

I used the 1.5 spider webbing last weekend. I noticed that it did bunch up, but it straightens out easy enough. I own some Kevlar straps too, and the show stopper for me is that Kevlar is yellow and it messes with my outdoor asthetic!

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE

Ultralight Hammockers - Give us your wisdom.

Maybe my enthusiasm for Kevlar would be easier to understand if some history was provided.

First quest into UL was replacing standard 6' straps + whoopie with spider webbing. That was okay, but I didn't enjoy flattening it out each morning before I broke camp. It felt like slick tape as opposed to the feel of a strap.

Expediency is important to me and I'm a little OCD, so the next move was attaching Amsteel to 4' of Kevlar to make a total length of 12'. This setup is low volume and unbelievably light. But March mornings on the Ozark Highland Trail can be chilly. It seemingly took forever for my cold fingers to untie the J-Bends when breaking camp. In frustration, liberties were taken with the knot process that eventually lowered me to the ground one night (lesson learned: experiment with knots at your own risk). As neat as setup looked, I could not make Amsteel work. Other hangers have been able to make it work; not me.

Kevlar 3.3 is my current setup. Lapp Hitch, Becket, or J-Bend? . . . . doesn't matter, they all work like a charm. Yes the 3.3 is a little bulky, but is is easy, reliable, and fast. It will be my goto setup until the next great thing comes along.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I have a tendency for OCD, but the bunching doesn't really bother me as I can make it neat again with very little trouble.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I've been using the Venom straps, then Dutch's version, then warbonnets version for about three years now. Never an issue, never a slip, I find it pure genius. The bunching never bothered me, actually it forming into more of a rope shape I find easier to work with. I use to be a little OCD about flattening it all out as I rolled it up. It occurred to me that might be a little silly, stopped bothering and whoa this takes a lot less time to wrap up :P I just make sure the first little bit stays flat that is going around the tree which isn't much of a problem as its always in that flat shape whether round the tree or winding around my hand for storage. I'm not very good with knot names but was just using the beckett hitch with never a problem then started throwing in the extra loop for safety that I noticed going around. I think that makes it a J-Bend? Anyway one of those "where have you been all my life" moments for lightweight suspension.

However I have to agree Dirocm, I've mostly never tried Kevlar because I like more muted colors in the wilderness so purely aesthetics as well. However the dynaweave has worked flawlessly so far and is a bit lighter and more compact so maybe never will.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    I used the 1.5 spider webbing last weekend. I noticed that it did bunch up, but it straightens out easy enough. I own some Kevlar straps too, and the show stopper for me is that Kevlar is yellow and it messes with my outdoor asthetic!
    I dyed this pair for my 'stealth' tarp setup and it works great. Followed directions and have hung on these about 10 times with no discernible change in the color. I left the Amsteel Evo loops on when I dyed them and that is 'keeping' nicely as well. The dye to use is the one pictured, which is formulated for synthetics.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I dyed this pair for my 'stealth' tarp setup and it works great. Followed directions and have hung on these about 10 times with no discernible change in the color. I left the Amsteel Evo loops on when I dyed them and that is 'keeping' nicely as well. The dye to use is the one pictured, which is formulated for synthetics.

But how much weight did the dye add?!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    But how much weight did the dye add?!
    0.000172g
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Ok that changes things Awesome sauce, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Ok that changes things Awesome sauce, thanks for that.
    Glad to pass it along. I found it in a previous thread here on HF.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast