Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle

Canada needs Sub-Forums like the USA has...

Is there a way Canada can get sub-forums like the USA has? ie: Northeast/Southeast/Midwest/Southwest??? Can you create sub-forums for Canada such as Atlantic/Central/Prairie/Mountain/Pacific? Canada is a huge country and to just have one sub-forum (Canada) for the whole country seems silly.

Thanks and hope you can do this.
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I remember suggesting giving Canada it's own years ago...kinda hard to imagine it without now!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lanning-Canada

But this makes sense now that membership has ramped up.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by County_mountie View Post
    Is there a way Canada can get sub-forums like the USA has? ie: Northeast/Southeast/Midwest/Southwest??? Can you create sub-forums for Canada such as Atlantic/Central/Prairie/Mountain/Pacific? Canada is a huge country and to just have one sub-forum (Canada) for the whole country seems silly.

Thanks and hope you can do this.
    Glad to hear this idea coming up again!

Would Maritime, Central, Western and Pacific be more appropriate?
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

I think it's a great idea, even though I'm right over the boarder here in Michigan. Hanging in Canada has always been off my radar since it's so big and I'm not that familiar with the park system. I don't think twice about driving 8 hours to the UP or go out of state to hang, so this could serve as a catalyst to those of us who are neighbors.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I love hanging in Canada. I try to get up there a couple times a year. Hoping to go up in 2 weeks.
    The forum is making progress, I remember when Canada was in the "Other" category.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    But is it really necessary? There are only 11 threads posted in the last 6 months and 21 in the last 12 months.
    Of those 21: 14 were for Ontario, 3 for the Maritime Provinces, 2 for Quebec and 2 for BC/Vancouver. Is forum so crowded it needs broken up?
    Perhaps a better solution would be to push the title naming convention a little more and request people to start their trip planning threads with their region/province/ area like Chard does.
    i.e. Canada>Ontario->EGL->2020 > Winter Backcountry - Early Feb 2020. Then you can be as specific as you like.

More sub forums is not always better.

I do not really care if it is done or not, but it seems to me like it would be harder to see what is going on in the great white north if there were 4 to 5 forums you have to jump to.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 01-27-2020 at 15:48.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Glad to hear this idea coming up again!

Would Maritime, Central, Western and Pacific be more appropriate?
    Actually Maritime only encompasses NS, PEI & NB...it doesn't include Newfoundland & Labrador...so Atlantic is proper...Western is not Prairie, so maybe just Atlantic/Central/Prairie/Pacific.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    But is it really necessary? There are only 11 threads posted in the last 6 months and 21 in the last 12 months.
    Of those 21: 14 were for Ontario, 3 for the Maritime Provinces, 2 for Quebec and 2 for BC/Vancouver. Is forum so crowded it needs broken up?
    Perhaps a better solution would be to push the title naming convention a little more and request people to start their trip planning threads with their region/province/ area like Chard does.
    i.e. Canada>Ontario->EGL->2020 > Winter Backcountry - Early Feb 2020. Then you can be as specific as you like.

More sub forums is not always better.

I do not really care if it is done or not, but it seems to me like it would be harder to see what is going on in the great white north if there were 4 to 5 forums you have to jump to.
    Maybe if there were more sub-forums more people would use it? Not sure why it matters how many posts there have been thus far; its only a sub-forum and given the fact that there are dumber sub-forums on here already I didn't think creating sub-forums for an actual country would be that much of a problem but surely you thought it was with the "research" you did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    There is a sub-forum for hang events in Canada. Is that what you are referring to?
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...php/161-Canada

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I can see where County_Mountie's coming from regarding dividing up the Canada forum into regional sub-categories. It might be hard to believe, but there's as much regional diversity north of the border as there is with our neighbours to the south and it might make searching for and/or organizing hangs a little easier, especially for southern guys like Michigandave who aren't as familiar with Canadian parks. I know that EGL (Eastern Great Lakes) members post a lot of threads on the Canada forum since we're a very active group, so if County_Mountie's looking for an Atlantic hang, he has to wade through all of the other chafe to find those that are of interest to him.

On the flipside, when I look at the Canada forum, most of the posts generally cite the province, city or park in question and as Jeff-oh points out, there's not an unmanageable amount of traffic.

Personally, I like being able to glance at the Canada forum and see what's happening across the country without having to drill down into a sub-forum, which, to be honest, I probably wouldn't do too often. Granted it would help if everyone put their state or province in front of their "Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning" thread (that means you Yankees too), but in reality people will call things what they will. In the end, if the volume of Canadian posts goes up to the point where I can't find my local hangs, I'd want to see some sub-groups but until then one group seems to work well enough.

Besides, at least were not still lumped in with those poor buggers in the "Other" forum. If subdivisions are needed anywhere, it's there!

But that's just my 2 cents, or since we don't use pennies anymore, that's just my nickel. I'd be interested to hear what the rest of the community has to say.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast