Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)

Super lovely new ultra light tarp! But teeny tiny stuff sack--that usual?

Got a Xenon .9 custom tarp--10' and one pull out, so not very customized. Made super fast and shipped likewise. But the stuff sack seems pretty small--folded and new from the shop there was a little leeway, but stuffed in there the usual way fills the stuff sack to the maximum. I'll have to use a different sack once I add lines & etc. Is this usual for Dutch stuff sacks?
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Red Cinema, I can't speak for Dutch, but it is not unusual that the stuff sack provided for things is near absolute minimum. That's one reason why various vendors sell separate/larger stuff sacks. It's sort of a common joke that once you take various object out the their package, they will never fit back in. Those tiny mylar "emergency" blankets come to mind.

Also, having Lines and stakes in different bags can be a feature, not a bug. Specifically for stakes, there is one thread about that in the forum and most reported that they keep their stakes separate (point up in their own bag). That keeps dirt away from the tarp. Also, some people have more than one tarp so they grab the tarp they need, then the bag of stakes they'll need for the expected ground condition.

If you just have one tarp, and one set of stakes, I can see how you're thinking "just grab and go". But if you have multiple choices and may be camping in a forest or sandy beach, then you may want to grab different things.

And bulk-wise, it can be easier to find a place in your pack (or kayak) for two small bags rather than one larger bag.

Over time, you may find requesting a larger stuff sack (perhaps paying a little more) works better for you.

It is certainly easier to stuff gear in a larger sack so the next time you order something from the many vendors here, you can add an extra stuff sack, for your tarp, to the order and use your current tarp bag for other gear.

As for as keeping the lines attached to the tarp, that's another preference - some like that, some like them attached to stakes, some like them completely separate too.

What color/fabric did you get?

//"They strayed off the path in the woods. The car broke down on a lonely road. They left their terminal (cell phone) behind. They FORGOT their bag of tent stakes." The plot thickens.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Uh, what crazy person would put their stakes in with their tarp? Stakes go in a whole 'nother container.

Every other tarp I've had came with a stuff sack with enough room for the tarp itself and the lines, which don't take up a lot of room, but which do take up _some_ room. This stuff sack is really marginal just for the tarp itself.

Annnd I got a Red tarp for Red Cinema, of course

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Red Cinema, I can't speak for Dutch, but it is not unusual that the stuff sack provided for things is near absolute minimum. That's one reason why various vendors sell separate/larger stuff sacks. It's sort of a common joke that once you take various object out the their package, they will never fit back in. Those tiny mylar "emergency" blankets come to mind.

Also, having Lines and stakes in different bags can be a feature, not a bug. Specifically for stakes, there is one thread about that in the forum and most reported that they keep their stakes separate (point up in their own bag). That keeps dirt away from the tarp. Also, some people have more than one tarp so they grab the tarp they need, then the bag of stakes they'll need for the expected ground condition.

If you just have one tarp, and one set of stakes, I can see how you're thinking "just grab and go". But if you have multiple choices and may be camping in a forest or sandy beach, then you may want to grab different things.

And bulk-wise, it can be easier to find a place in your pack (or kayak) for two small bags rather than one larger bag.

Over time, you may find requesting a larger stuff sack (perhaps paying a little more) works better for you.

It is certainly easier to stuff gear in a larger sack so the next time you order something from the many vendors here, you can add an extra stuff sack, for your tarp, to the order and use your current tarp bag for other gear.

As for as keeping the lines attached to the tarp, that's another preference - some like that, some like them attached to stakes, some like them completely separate too.

What color/fabric did you get?

//"They strayed off the path in the woods. The car broke down on a lonely road. They left their terminal (cell phone) behind. They FORGOT their bag of tent stakes." The plot thickens.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    IMG_4837.jpg

It's a lovely Brick Red

For comparison, my Superfly goes in a stuff sack roughly double the size and is definitely full with lines (not stakes! no no no no stakes) (no stakes ) This nice red stuff sack will not do.

Edit: here's the 11' Superfly:

IMG_4838.jpg

I'd love it if the new 10' Winter Tarp fit in the sack provided, but if one squeezes a stuff sack a bit and the contents come oozing out (forcing the drawstring open), it is just a fantasy--that's without lines, of course. Though even in a 2-3" larger stuff sack it'll take up less real estate than the Superfly--must be the miracle of the Xenon .9 vs. the silnylon 1.1 or whatever the Superfly is. And i won't know until I shift the lines over but I'm guessing a half pound lighter, too.
    Last edited by Red Cinema; 01-25-2020 at 19:55.
    //

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Email me. We will make you a bigger one.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Red Cinema, Nice color! When you said "once I add lines & etc. " I figured that was tarp, lines, and the only other thing I could image the "& etc." referred to with respect to a tarp were the stakes.

They can go in last , if careful (points up) and clean. I wouldn't do it but I'm just guessing some small sun block day tarps are pretty small and 4 Shepard hooks could make a complete package.

Looks like Dutch will accommodate your desire for a larger stuff sack.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Uh, what crazy person would put their stakes in with their tarp? Stakes go in a whole 'nother container.
    I put mine in with various .51 DCF tarps/tents, inside a ziploc quart-sized freezer bag. Nary a bit of damage for many miles over many years.

Congratulations on getting that very cool tarp. That is an impressively small bundle!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Email me. We will make you a bigger one.
    d'aw, thanks Dutch! I was just checking here to make sure I wasn't out of touch with stuff sack reality
    //

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Ah, I see. I was thinking of line bling and the small loops of wossname elastic cord I use to help with tension, and in the case of the pictured Superfly, mesh snakeskin. I see someone has posted about storing stakes in with a tarp--agreed, a separate bag would ease the issue considerably. I'm still curious if this sack was usually small for Dutch; super nice he's offered to do another one.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Red Cinema, Nice color! When you said "once I add lines & etc. " I figured that was tarp, lines, and the only other thing I could image the "& etc." referred to with respect to a tarp were the stakes.

They can go in last , if careful (points up) and clean. I wouldn't do it but I'm just guessing some small sun block day tarps are pretty small and 4 Shepard hooks could make a complete package.

Looks like Dutch will accommodate your desire for a larger stuff sack.
    //

• + New Posts