Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    If you want a real, valid recommendation, you have to list all your gear. Everything else is just conjecture. FWIW, carrying 50 lbs..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    If you want a real, valid recommendation, you have to list all your gear. Everything else is just conjecture. FWIW, carrying 50 lbs..
    Agreed, which is why I would encourage the OP to make the $10 donation and become a member so that other aspects beyond hammock/tarp can be discussed.

But a 50 lb pack? 100 lb??
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I have had many packs over a lifetime of backpacking. For a number of years I settled on the Dana Design packs since they were made over in Bozeman, MT at the time. The Terraplane was my biggest pack and at one time was the go to pack for AT hikers. It was a an 80L pack multiday pack. Probably my favorite was their 60L Glacier pack and the Bomb pack for day climbing gear. They sold the brand to K2 and operations was shifted to Mexico and from there quality went downhill. Dana stated Mystery Ranch packs later on.

When the ultra light backpacking phase started I came to the realization that there were much better options than the 7 pound Terraplane or the 5 pound Glacier. I sold a number of my Danas, but still have the Bomb and the Terraplane stored away. I also realized that I could definitely trim down my gear and that a 60L pack was more than sufficient for most three season back packing. I auditioned several packs including an Osprey Atmos, an ArcTeryx Bora, a Zpacks Blast, Exped Lighting 60L, ULA Ohm, and a ULA Catalyst. My favorites being the Exped and ULA Catalyst. I was back east on the AT with a high school friend and he had a fable vintage Kelty White Cloud. After I got back I bumped across a Kelty White Cloud Vapor on ebay and sniped it. At around 60L, it has become my go to pack, although I changed out the waist belt for one with pockets on the belt for my camera (from a ULA).

The Vapor is 60L and it works for me. It doesn't have any of the detachable pockets. Last spring I sniped another White Cloud 5650 off ebay for $200 new with all the detachable pockets. With the pockets attached either would be sufficient for winter camping too. But I no longer winter camp. Currently, I leave the 5650 in the plastic bag and will use the Vapor until it is done, or I'm done ;-). Bottom line is the 60L size is sufficient for my needs. I have not gone the ultra light 40L minus run and gun it route like some prefer. I just do the basic backpacking and enjoy it.

Another thing I would say about winter camping when I did into the adventure was I preferred to use a pulk, behind XC skis. It is also doable behind snowshoes. I used a smaller pack with a firm waist belt from one of the full size back packs as a pulk harness. This kept my day gear handy in the smaller pack while most of the gear was towed behind in the pulk. For me this was my favorite winter setup.

I was curious about the handle Towgote. I worked for a decade at the bottom of Togwotee Pass at the Blackrock Ranger Station as the Teton Wilderness Manager and as the outfitter-guide permit administrator. Incredible winter country with 3 feet of cold powder snow every winter. Every long long winter. Does this place have anything to do with your handle? I know Togwotee Lodge is a mecca snow machine destination for folks from the midwest seeking to enjoy the powder.
    Yes that is where name comes from but forgot the last e on name I used to spend lot of time out there hiking Summers and snowmobiling

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Took me a minute to get over the 50lb.. 100lb...

I can offer no help on pack size without seeing the pack list. Heck, I want to see the pack list just out of curiosity. Can't imagine carrying that much, as my year round TPW has never exceeded 25lb and that was carrying a bunch of things for an injured friend. Pack size is impacted by the weight, yes, but the volume is critical.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I have the aether 85 lt and it is IMHO perfect for winter camping - 65-70lbs has been my limit to date.
    I overpack though with at least double redundancy on stuff in the winter. Kinda have to if you are packing in over a long route.
    I just finished converting a ulitily sled into a pulk though and took the pulk on my last adventure. Will NEVER snow show with a heavy pack again. Pulling a Pulk is the best method IMHO

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

I need to move. A 2 to 3 months winter sounds awesome. It’s more like 5 to 6 months of cold up here. This said I’m fine with a Granite Gear Blaze year round.

Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    I need to move. A 2 to 3 months winter sounds awesome. It’s more like 5 to 6 months of cold up here. This said I’m fine with a Granite Gear Blaze year round.
    Good for you, sound great. But how many lbs do you pack?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234