Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpack size

Quote Originally Posted by PBThompson View Post
    I personally have several different bags and sizes. I really recommend multiple bags. But if you really want only 1 bag to rule them all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Well I will then get couple different size backpacks and and buy sled for winter use

So thanks guys for info

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Togwote View Post
    Well I have a 55 L pack and isn't big enough for summer adventure for 5 day trip

Naturally, a lot depends on what you're carrying.

I'm one of those UL freakazoids and have done 5 day trips with a pack weight of less than 20 lbs, incl all food and 1 liter of water. This requires a methodical approach to each system — pack, sleep, shelter, food, clothing — in order to thrash out wants from needs.

I totally understand if this isn't your thing, but there are many who don't know there *is* such a thing!

However, it is impossible for anyone to offer meaningful advice without looking at a comprehensive gear list, including consumables...food, fuel and water.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    The issue of backpack size seems to generate a huge variety of responses. I read about people doing long distance thru hikes with 50 L packs and have no idea how they do it, unless they are strapping on multiple stuff sacks outside the pack, which strikes me as suboptimal.

Much of my hiking is overnight/weekend hikes in your area, the north country trail of minnesota. My approach is lightweight but not ultralight: I use the ULA Catalyst, which at 70 L is perhaps a bit overkill for a warm weather overnight, but is fairly light at 3 lbs., and gives me the capability of carrying a week of fuel/food, or serving the occasional winter overnight. For example, a ~6 day, ~60 mile trip on the superior hiking trail last May: I fit a full length 0 degree underquilt, a 20 degree topquilt, along with hammock, suspension, food bag, and clothes bag in the Catalysts main compartment; there's really not room left for much more. It can, if needed, hold a Garcia bear cannister, but it's a very tight fit. Left side pocket had two water bottles; right side pocket had a zpacks tall dynema bag filled with cooking gear, canister fuel, and water filter. Tarp was strapped onto the back shock cords.
    One thing I recently added was the zpacks chest pack. It does mean a little extra hassle in putting on and taking of the pack (more straps to clip on), but is really convenient for allowing access to snacks, bugspray, sunscreen, etc. while walking.
    My typical full pack weight, including food, 1.5-2 L water, and fuel, is 25-35 lbs, depending on season and trip length. The Catalyst is officially rated as good to 40 lbs. If your style involves more camp luxuries, or you really do routinely carry 50 lbs, you may want a bigger pack, such as the Osprey suggested above. More minimalist hikers often prefer something smaller such as the ULA Circuit or similar.

All depends on the size of your gear and what you plan to bring

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
    The issue of backpack size seems to generate a huge variety of responses. I read about people doing long distance thru hikes with 50 L packs and have no idea how they do it, unless they are strapping on multiple stuff sacks outside the pack, which strikes me as suboptimal.

HF member Chop (aka Beardoh) and wife SweetPea have an impressive LD hiking resume and this is Beardoh's all-terrain list for hammock/ground. Their website, Long Distance Hiker, has oodles of great trail-tested gear advice and guidance for those interested in going light.

UL does not involve strapping a bunch of stuff to an undersized pack, nor does it mean being uncomfortable, going hungry or being unsafe or unprepared for severe weather. It does take time and effort to tweak the kit and gain experience in different seasons and locales, but it can be done.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe check out Seek Outside backpacks.
    I’ve been eying their packs for a while now and one is on my bucket list for a future winter pack.
    Not much heavier than my Osprey, but much more capable in the load handling department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Togwote View Post
    Right now usually carry about 50 lbs but can go to 100 if needed

My back hurts just reading that. I'm no UL'er but I would try to get my weight down if I was carrying 100lbs. Definitely go for a full framed backpack with beefy hipbelt and extra volume so you can get the load organized in a way it will carry the best. You're gonna need all the bells and whistles a pack like Osprey can offer to make that load ride nice.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    Quote Originally Posted by PBThompson View Post
    Im a big fan of osprey packs something in the 85 liter range would surely be large enough. The ather series is a great pack. You can go smaller if your willing to cough up money for ultralight stuff

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I used the same pack last weekend.. oh boy did I load it up with app 40lbs. Carried snowshoes but not the best position on the sides. Solid pack I picked up on ebay about 10 years ago. Also like the Atmos series a lot.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    I used the same pack last weekend.. oh boy did I load it up with app 40lbs. Carried snowshoes but not the best position on the sides. Solid pack I picked up on ebay about 10 years ago. Also like the Atmos series a lot.
    I used the Atmos 65L on a 11 day Alaska hike with no resupply. My pack came in at 42 lbs (no water), 22 of that was food. Granted it was summer time, so my gear wan't too bulky. My inlaws were using their old school external frame Keltys which they use as meat haulers when they moose/caribou hunt. They did like the comfort of the Atmos over the Kelty. My buddy had a 70L REI Traverse pack and his son had a 55L pack. We were all pretty much under 50 lbs max.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have a 60L pack which is good for 3-season use, but I can't fit all my winter gear in it. I end up strapping a quilt outside (in a water proof bag of course). I just ordered a used 75L pack which should work but I don't see how I could reduce my pack size enough to get much smaller than that without buying all new UL gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast