70D Nylon vs Dream-Tex

Close to pulling the trigger on a WB Eldorado with Whoopie suspension for a lightweight backpacking shelter but can't make up my mind whether to go with the original 70D Nylon or the newer Dream-Tex fabric. I have zilch hammock experience so I'm at the mercy of whatever everybody else thinks. Not finding many comments on the newer Dream-Tex whereas the 70D Nylon seems to have stood the test of time. Anybody out there have any thoughts that could sway me?

I prefer the dream tex, has more of a cotton feel. I’ve had no issues with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    I have BB XLC in 70D and Eldorado in Dream-Tex. Prefer the feel of Dream-Tex but I am very tactile. The 70D is great fabric; Dream-Tex just feels softer.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have no experience with the Dream-tex Nylon and was gonna cheat on Warbonnet and try a chameleon or darien but decided to stay loyal and get an Eldorado and will let ya know!

Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

Haha...good man! I'll do my darndest to hold off ordering until I hear back. Is your Minifly keepin you dry? My plan was to get the little bit bigger Thunderfly.

Thanks, the softer cotton feel is what sounded appealing to me. Is the the Dream-Tex as firm as the 70D?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Dream-Tex is still fairly new (maybe a year-oldish). IIRC, much of that time, it has been in short supply for some reason. It will at least need some more time to get more feedback, but initial impressions have been all good as far as I can remember. I think it’s a great fabric. It’s comfy, feels nice, and is durable.

Did you find the couple of threads that are right here on the forum about Dream-Tex yet?

If you are looking for even more advice, you should probably share your weight.

Not always about keeping you dry. A big part of the appeal of a bigger tarp is the bigger dry footprint you could potentially have with it. I have both the Mini and the Thunder. I need to put them to a lot more use to know what I think of them, but I favor the Thunderfly. With yourself as a beginner, the Thunderfly is a better option. More forgiving and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Dream-Tex is still fairly new (maybe a year-oldish). IIRC, much of that time, it has been in short supply for some reason. It will at least need some more time to get more feedback, but initial impressions have been all good as far as I can remember. I think it’s a great fabric. It’s comfy, feels nice, and is durable.

Did you find the couple of threads that are right here on the forum about Dream-Tex yet?

If you are looking for even more advice, you should probably share your weight.

Not always about keeping you dry. A big part of the appeal of a bigger tarp is the bigger dry footprint you could potentially have with it. I have both the Mini and the Thunder. I need to put them to a lot more use to know what I think of them, but I favor the Thunderfly. With yourself as a beginner, the Thunderfly is a better option. More forgiving and comfortable.
    No, I wasn't able to find the other Dream-Tex threads in this forum.

My main concern over the Drem-Tex was that it was more saggy compared to the 70D.

5'10" 170lbs. Planned on getting the single layer. Didn't quite understand your "Not always about keeping you dry" comment in regards to the tarp options.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have both in SL and DL. Yes, the Dream-Tex is a bit nicer to touch. It's very close to the Hexon, if you happen to know that. However, the Dream-Tex Warbonnet is using currently is a 40D fabric. This means that the threads that make up the fabric are lighter i.e. thinner. Thinner threads have more stretch. But Dream-Tex has a fairly dense weave - not sure if it is a 1.6oz or already a 1.7oz. Denser fabrics stretch less. On the other hand, the 70D nylon is very lightweight with 1.7oz. It has clearly more stretch than a standard 1.9oz 70D fabric. For me, both fabrics are very close together, but the 70D is a bit more comfortable. But not everybody is as sensitive to stretch - so ymmv.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Just got my new Eldorado in Dream-tex and it's sure a dream! I have a WB DL 1.1 and a SL 1.6 traveler but this Eldorado is impressive and I cannot wait to get out in the bush!
    Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

• + New Posts