Hammock
    WoodsmanX & Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ synthetic
    Suspension
    in flux!

Your philosophy - tarp size vs fabric weight and features?

Do you prefer bigger, more weather resistant tarps, with more area to catch wind, to be made of heavier more durable fabric with more tie outs, or do you prefer to use lighter fabrics for larger tarps so that you keep weight down. What is the biggest, heaviest and most feature rich design you would travel with (hiking or flying, where weight and bulk matter more than driving or paddling)?

I am trying to decide how to make the best use of the fabric that I have. I have enough 1.6 Silpoly to make a rectangular tarp 11.5' x 9.5' and enough scrap in the same material to add sew on doors, or beaks if I want. I also have 7yds of 1.1 Silpoly.

I have already made myself a 11.3' x 9.4' rectangular in 1.1 XenonSil and a Dutch style asym in Silpoly XL. For a while I have wanted to make a cat-cut hex to replace my UKHammock Cat Tarp and was going to practice making my first catenary hex in the heavier, easier to control 1.6 fabric, then make my ultimate light hex in the 1.1. Having read lots here about adding doors, and features and issues with rain blowing under tarps, maybe I would be better using the heavier fabric to make a bigger more weather resistant tarp?

My old hammock had a very short ridgeline, just 86 inches which meant I didn't have much to worry about rain blowing under the ends of an 11' tarp. My new hammock is a Dutch Chameleon, yet to be tested, so I am paying attention to folk saying doors are a good thing to have, even if I have not needed them before.

ATB

Chris

It really matters on how important weight is to you.

If I went on another Thru hike, I’d want a dyneema tarp.

Normal short trips I don’t really care - I’ve got a huge winter tarp with doors and it’s great.

If money wasn’t an issue and I could have a custom tarp I’d want a dyneema tarp like my old HG hex bit adding a foot or more of width to both sides. Doors I’m kinda meh on

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I made a 12' ridgeline rectangular tarp out of 1.1 Silpoly XL that's my current go-to tarp. I used it year round in coastal NC to be able to close off the ends during the inevitable rain. I'm tossing around making or buying an 11' or 12' hex for summer use now that I'm in the southwest and I don't need to worry about week long storms quite as much. Likely sticking with a 1.1 Silpoly as fundage for a dyneema is a little harder to come by with kids in the house.

Is it possible to get a dyneema tarp wider than 8’6”?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    Is it possible to get a dyneema tarp wider than 8’6”?
    The DCF Palace from HG is 10 ft. 4 inches wide.

https://hammockgear.com/dyneema-fiber-palace-tarp/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    To me, my order of priorities are:
    Cost
    Packability
    Weight

I like what Dynema has to offer, but since I only make it out 4-6 times a year, the cost and lower pack volume of Silpoly fit my needs better. It’s less expensive (easier to replace) packs smaller (smaller pack size) and only loses out to DCF in the weight category.

Eventually I’ll save for a DCF tarp, but it’s lower on my priorities list right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts