Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop

Lark's Nest Suspension - Continuous Ridge Line

I joined the Hammock Forums a little while ago and have been learning all I can so that I will be prepared for my next, and first hammock, backpacking venture in the Spring. I want to thank everyone here for passing on their knowledge and experience.

As I get older I am finding sleeping on the ground, even on a good mat, too hard and uncomfortable. However, the last thing I want is to hit that hard ground from a height! I have therefore spent quite a bit of time researching the options and came up with a set of requirements:

1. Safe and reliable
    2. Easily set up and adjusted
    3. Capable of covering small and wide spans
    4. Incorporates a structural ridge line
    5. Lightweight
    6. Low cost

No surprise there are a lot of suspension systems that meet those requirements and everyone has their own favorite. So just because I liked the single ridge line concept and thought that the Whoopie and UCR constrictors were an intriguing, captivating and gripping concepts I therefore decided to try and use them in my suspension. I did however want to find a way that eliminated the small span issue, one of my requirements. Having tried out many different options, with various degrees of success and failure, I have a concept for a suspension system that meets my requirements. Watch the video and let me know what you think.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Lark's Nest Suspension - Continuous Ridge Line

Looks like the video is private.

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    Try it now

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
    Try it now
    Works now. Off to give it a look.

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    Here is the diagram, at the start and end of the video, showing the Lark's Nest Suspension system:
    Larks-Head-Suspension.jpg

Watch the video and let me know what you think.
    Intriguing, though a bit hard to follow the video since we can see only one end of the system. Studying the diagram helps, but I'd like to see the entirety of the system from end to end in some long shots or walk around video, maybe with someone in the hammock, or better, showing it set in different locations of varying dimensions.

I'd be curious how much slippage there is during a typical loading/unloading night in the hammock as you get in and out and move around in the night.

I'm also curious how the amsteel is anchored to the trees. Short tree straps?
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Intriguing, though a bit hard to follow the video since we can see only one end of the system. Studying the diagram helps, but I'd like to see the entirety of the system from end to end in some long shots or walk around video, maybe with someone in the hammock, or better, showing it set in different locations of varying dimensions.

I'd be curious how much slippage there is during a typical loading/unloading night in the hammock as you get in and out and move around in the night.

I'm also curious how the amsteel is anchored to the trees. Short tree straps?
    I agree, need some wider shots to see how it all works together.

Also, it appears there is no SRL on the hammock, which to me indicates the suspension is acting as SRL which means inconsistent sag. And rigging it looks as if it might be problematic with an integrated bug net.

For absolute shortest hang think about suspension webbing straight to hammock CL using becket, lapp or j-bend.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Watch the video and let me know what you think.
    Well, well, well, very nicely done. I like what you have done. looks like it was a fun project.

Please do not take these comments as criticism. However, I think the UCR's in this case are unnecessary. Looking at the load path, in the basic since you have a traditional marlin spike type suspension. From the tree to the hammock, you adjust the hang by where the knot is tied. The spike is put in and the hammock is hung. Thus, the load path is along the one solid line between the larks head and the tree. Now, in practical purposes, the rest of the line after the larks head is excess and not needed.

Then comes the structural ridge line. The SRL in practical purposes is a solid length line that is adjusted to get the desired tick mark located at the toggle entrance. If you tied off the SLR tag tail end and did not untie you would have the same effect. The set up is done at this point. The load paths are complete. Then the tail end of the suspension line is buried in the SRL just to hold the unloaded tail end. No load is actually transferred between the ropes through the bury.

Thank you for sharing, this is very innovative and interesting let us know how it works out.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 01-24-2020 at 09:47.

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree, need some wider shots to see how it all works together.

Also, it appears there is no SRL on the hammock, which to me indicates the suspension is acting as SRL which means inconsistent sag. And rigging it looks as if it might be problematic with an integrated bug net.

For absolute shortest hang think about suspension webbing straight to hammock CL using becket, lapp or j-bend.
    When the weather gets better I will take some outdoor video/pictures.

The suspension, outside of the attachment to the trees, comprises of 3 pieces of Amsteel 7/64": Two lines each with a loop on one end for connecting to a tree strap and the third containing a UCR bury at each end (not finished off yet just knotted as I play around with different toggles (currently using 2" of 2018 Aluminum arrow shaft, Graphite arrow shafts failed by snapping and here is what happens to poly-carbonate tubing IMG_8708[1].jpg). This third piece provides for the consistent sag when the Lark's Head toggle is tied at the same guide markers on the UCR tails . Once I have established my preferred sag I will add a tactile marker on the UCR tails to help setting the sag when dark. This thirds piece of Amsteel acts as the structural ridge line.

The loop ends of the two lines attach to the tree straps by means of a J-Bend or Marlin Spike (a Lark's Head would not work here as it requires tension on both sides of the line for it not to slip). I have used a soft shackle between the loops and the straps to quickly change setups without removing the straps. For really a close hang, that would not allow for the use of my tarp, I could always loop/tie directly to the strap. If that close I would not need structural ridge line IMHO.

I have Dutch Summer Sock Bugnet which slips over my AH hammock - so no issue there. Not having a hammock with an integrated bug net, I can't really say how it would work with one.

I have not spent a full night in the hammock with this setup yet. However an hour or two naps has not shown any discernible slippage (measures as bum distance to floor).

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Very cool, looking forward to your experiences with it in the woods.

And that is a crazy pic of the polycarbonate! Sure, it's a plastic but I never would have suspected it would deform that way without heat!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast