Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I'm sensitive to dye residue and finishings in any new fabric, so I always wash new (washable) fabric items before I use hemt the first time. This is how I wash all my cotton hammocks with clews:

1. I'm not home to check, and I can't remember if there are a metal "saddles" inside the end loops that protect the loops from abrasion by your suspension. If they're removable, do that now. You'll put them back into the loops when the hammock is dry.

2. Now use a shoelace to tie the hammock ends together by the loops ,and tie another shoelace to bind the cords together midway between the end loops and the hammock body. This is to prevent the cords from tangling. (Some people just tie each end in an overhand knot. I don't do that because the knots can either come untied in the wash or else be really tight and hard to untie afterwards.)

3. Machine-wash in cool or warm (never hot) water, gentle cycle, and a small amt of laundry soap.

4. Hang to dry, OR tumble-fry cool until it's ALMOST dry (to avoid shrinkage), then hang to finish drying.

5. Let it finish drying completely before you use it to prevent stretching it unevenly.

6. If you removed the metal things from the end loops before washing, replace them before you sit/lie in your hammock.

I hope you'll greatly enjoy your wonderful new hammock. Sweet dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidsmud View Post
    Received hammock, all is well no tears or frayed spots. Got it hung, lay feels good. Glad I didn't spring for the king size model, max length is just right. I can tell the material is durable and well worth the price, but I don't like how it feels against my skin. Should I wash it or give it time to wear in?
    Sweet! Your gonna love it once you get it worn in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update: The way it gives such even support is great, but the fabric against my skin is still a bit uncomfortable. l'll probably wash it if I can find the time. Thanks for the washing tips WhollyHamaca. Until then I might lay down a quilt or comforter just to give my skin that barrier.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG 4 door CF
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Spent the past 3+ years sleeping in a RidgeRunner on a daily basis.

Have owned Warbonnet Ridgerunner for 5 years. Have used it on the trail and at home. Perfect for my needs. I have DJD (degenerative disk disease) old geezer back. When I bend myself out of shape, I hook up the WB RR in my basement for my "re-alignment." An hour nap in the WB RR and I'm 70% improved. The other 30% of healing takes a couple of days of staying carefully within my comfort/activity window. Never any back problems on the trail since WB RR use. Used to wake up on trail with sore back. Now, just wake up with my usual "a little back stiffness." What works for one old geezer may not work for you. Can't beat Warbonnet for service or quality. MADE in USA by Americans. VN and G1 Vet. Buy USA!

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Coming to this late...but I sleep in a hammock most nights.

I've tried cotton, but prefer nylon cos I can slide around in it to find the sweet spot. I feel "stuck in place" in a cotton hammock, and any pyjamas I'm wearing get horribly twisted and uncomfortable.

I currently sleep in a 13' home-made nylon hammock, made from 1.6 HyperD from RSBTR. It's big, wide and luxurious. It was originally 17' long! But at 17' the ridgeline was far above me, hanging the UQ was difficult, and the only place it fit in my bedroom wasn't ideal...so I shortened it to 13'. Longer is better, but there's diminishing returns.

I also find the cotton hammocks I've tried so far to be harder to adjust my position in and get my pj's all twisted up. I'm looking at going back to a nylon hammock, but this thread has given many things to look at as well. Easy washing machine is definitely high on my list for an every night hammock. Quiet is important too, since my wife is still in the bed next to me.

I also find that hanging an UQ us a little tougher with the Brazilian style cotton hammocks I have tried so far. What do you guys prefer for insulation on them?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    My preference for cotton may be related to not wearing pajamas. And the extra grip of cotton allows me to maintain various positions -- especially side -- effortlessly, where with slippery nylon gravity always has its way.

I've never had any trouble hanging underquilts of all sorts, DIY comforters to high-end down. It may be that warmer inside conditions make a draft-free fit less important than cold seasons outdoors.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trace View Post
    Spent the past 3+ years sleeping in a RidgeRunner on a daily basis.
    How do you wash it and how often?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234