long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with pillow cases or sheets is that they slip and end up in a heap at the lowest point. I'd have to attach it to either the Wooki or the hammock somehow. Or I'll add a hammock loosely in between. I'll see what works best.
    I had a similar problem with a wool blanket I converted to an UQ; it's itchy under my Mayan but perfect under a Brazilian. Maybe you can make a removable cotton sleeve or envelope to cover your Wookie? Or sew some ribbon loops to the sides of the Wookie and some ties to the sheet, like a duvet cover.

Suspending a sheet or another hammock between your Wookie and Mayan can work as long as it's hung loose enough below the hammock that it doesn't constrain the weave from flexing with your movement in the hammock. The resulting air gap between your Wookie and the hammock will make the Wookie less effective. If hung too close under you it will detract from what makes a Mayan so floating-on-a-cloud comfortable, so I only use my Mayan in the hot summers here with no need for an UQ, but in a cooler climate sometimes you have to use what you've got!
    A sheet hung between Wookie and Mayan can work if you secure the sides of the sheet either to the Wookie or the hammock to keep the sheet from bunching up. Small binder clips might do but invites damage to the Mayan. Perhaps a few short lengths of shock cord or other elastic, with one end sewn on side of sheet and a plastic mitten hook on the other end. Hook them onto Mayan sides to hold the sheet in place without too much strain when you shift around in the hammock.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Not meaning to spam the thread with 3 posts in a row, but here's another suggestion for a very fine indoor hammock:
    For true luxury, how about a real SILK hammock?! If you can sew at all or know someone who will do it for you, Dharma Trading Co sells some very nice habutai silk fabric that doesn't cost the earth. Probably there are other sources, too. Four yards would make an 11.5 ft hammock. I made one a few years ago as a gift, and it's still in use every night. Strong, "smooth as silk", breathable, and almost light as air. Cool in summer, add an UQ when cool/cold. Washable by hand or gentle machine cycle, hang to dry (never in dryer). Real silk WILL shrink the first time it's washed. Takes dye very well. A hand-painted design using silk dyes could be exceptionally beautiful, like a huge silk scarf floating across the room.
    I want to make one for myself when time, money, and the need for yet another indoor hammock collide.

Oh, not at all. Anyone still reading at this point is likely to be interested in all these great suggestions and helpful info. Thanks again to all!

No, I don't know sewing and don't have a machine. I wouldn't trust my handiwork with something so important; my sleep and my safety. Sounds comfy though.

Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    Not meaning to spam the thread with 3 posts in a row, but here's another suggestion for a very fine indoor hammock:
    For true luxury, how about a real SILK hammock?! If you can sew at all or know someone who will do it for you, Dharma Trading Co sells some very nice habutai silk fabric that doesn't cost the earth. Probably there are other sources, too. Four yards would make an 11.5 ft hammock. I made one a few years ago as a gift, and it's still in use every night. Strong, "smooth as silk", breathable, and almost light as air. Cool in summer, add an UQ when cool/cold. Washable by hand or gentle machine cycle, hang to dry (never in dryer). Real silk WILL shrink the first time it's washed. Takes dye very well. A hand-painted design using silk dyes could be exceptionally beautiful, like a huge silk scarf floating across the room.
    I want to make one for myself when time, money, and the need for yet another indoor hammock collide.
    Hey wholly, ya think silk would slip a hammock knot? You have me intrigued

Medic, Coffee nerd, Otaku, Fisherman.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by BambulanceMan View Post
    Hey wholly, ya think silk would slip a hammock knot? You have me intrigued
    Probably would slip no more than smooth nylon or poly does. But silk is rather pricy and the knots will use up more of the fabric length than hems & cinched CLs or dogbones on each end. I have no idea how much length the knots would take up, and I'm not home to try it with a piece of nylon of similar weight. If you do that, please let us know how much it takes. Inquiring minds need to know!

IIRC Dharma only sells their fabric in full yards, so if you knot the ends I'm guessing you'd need to order 5 yd for a hammock longer than about 10 ft max, but 5 yd and knotted ends would still give you a very nice long hammock, or cut off any excess and cover your pillow with it. Bliss!!!

For the silk hammock I made, I wanted to make best use of the costly (for me) fabric and also finish the ends neatly, so I sewed narrow rolled hems all around, then top-stitched some 1.5" wide grosgrain ribbon all the way across the ends just below the hems. My goal was to protect the silk from abrasion by the suspension CLs so I could cinch them on the ribbon instead of directly on the fabric. In general, I don't like to run cordage or even webbing loops through end-channels so I make all my hammocks this way. I prefer "soft" side edges, so I'm a big fan of a modified Hennessy fold and whipping the folds in place instead of knotting or gathering the ends. I guess if I wanted to run CLs through end-channels I'd sew the grosgrain or perhaps webbing inside the channels for at least a few inches on each end and wrap it around to the outside of the channels for an inch or so, for some abrasion resistance. Silk has great tensile strength but I won't subject any fiber to abrasion by Amsteel if I can help it!
    Probably a lot more info than you wanted, but there it is! My small & scattered mind has a way of taking off on its own.

Good news (I hope)!
    I normally avoid buying stuff on ebay, but I haven't personally had a bad experience yet.
    However, when I saw a NEW La Siesta Caroline for $60 after shipping, I had to jump on it. I will update after I get it set up and try it out.

Wish me luck.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidsmud View Post
    Good news (I hope)!
    I normally avoid buying stuff on ebay, but I haven't personally had a bad experience yet.
    However, when I saw a NEW La Siesta Caroline for $60 after shipping, I had to jump on it. I will update after I get it set up and try it out.
    Wish me luck.
    Wow! I think that's only about half price for New. Only one on offer, or more available? Yes, I wish you luck!!!

Good news (I hope)!

Wish me luck.
    Dude. Nice. You will LOVE it

Received hammock, all is well no tears or frayed spots. Got it hung, lay feels good. Glad I didn't spring for the king size model, max length is just right. I can tell the material is durable and well worth the price, but I don't like how it feels against my skin. Should I wash it or give it time to wear in?

Images
    Received hammock, all is well no tears or frayed spots. Got it hung, lay feels good. Glad I didn't spring for the king size model, max length is just right. I can tell the material is durable and well worth the price, but I don't like how it feels against my skin. Should I wash it or give it time to wear in?
    Wear in. Like bed sheets or a pair of jeans, it gets softer over time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast