Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Silpoly cloudburst

Spindrift vs winter tarp

So I'm on the fence as to whether I should buy a 13 foot superfly or spindrift sock for my ridgerunner. I already have the cloudburst but would like something to block more wind for colder weather hanging and maybe other gear coverage. What are some people's opinions and why

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    IMO 13' is starting to be too much. Often I'll set up my 12' and realize I need to adjust my hammock/tarp more than I wanted to get the right height.

I would focus more on the width. My extra wide Winter Haven from Simply Light Designs is just about perfect. The interior poles spread it out and give you a ton of room to keep things dry. That was my biggest concern after running out of room with my Superfly (width).

Where rain usually drops straight down from the edge, snow likes to magically find its way in about 8" no matter what the wind is doing.

I agree; I think width is more important than length

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The recommended distance between the apex connectors on the Ridge Runner is 13 ft (per WarBonnet). So if you want the SuperFly doors to "close" completely then you'll want the 13 ft length. Note that you'll need the extra distance between trees for the Ridge Runner anyway. Also, I've read that the 13 ft SuperFly has an extra D-ring near each end of the tarps ridge line for attachment of the bugnet bungee. I've never needed them with shorter tarps but they will need to be seam sealed (as will any panel pulls).

I use the Spindrift sock a lot. It protects against wind direction changes and increases the range of TQ/UQ warmth potential. At home - where I can't string a tarp - it provides privacy from neighbor's windows and obnoxious "freeway" style street lamp that shines in my eyes.

You already have a large-ish tarp so the Spindrift is a good addition. There are two inexpensive mods you can request. 1) ask to have a zipper opening on EACH side. 2) ask to have d-rings put inside at each end.

The double doors gives you more flexibility in which side you enter/exit and more options for ventilation. Because you need to disassemble the Ridge Runner suspension somewhat to put on/take off the Spindrift, having those double doors lets you use it year round without having to take it off in the spring/summer. Which brings us to the D-Rings. If it is summer and you want both doors open, you may want to use the bug net. With the small d-rings inside the Spindrift, you can suspend the net on them.

If you didn't have a tarp at all, then the choice would be more difficult. But you already have a CloubBurst so I'd consider the Spindrift - especially in winter. Later, you can either get a large SuperFly after selling the Cloudburst. Or ... I've heard that some people have more than one tarp Just a thought.

Do note that the SpinDrift is essentially a single wall "tent" for the ridge runner. So in the winter - as with any winter setup - you will have condensation challenges. But with those two zippers, you have a lot of air flow control options.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Kitsapcowboy made
    Insulation
    Down/SYN mix 20'
    Suspension
    Whoopie/strap&buc
    My new 2 door spindrift came with the inside d-rings stock

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you have a double-layer Ridgerunner and you have any interest in using a pad, you can also request to have a horizontal zipper added to one end (or both if you really want) to allow access to the double layer. Without this, it's really difficult/nearly impossible to insert a pad once the Spindrift has been installed. I really enjoying using a wide pad (lightly inflated) to increase comfort and lift me up just a bit in the Ridgerunner.

FYI, my favorite go-to pad for this is the Klymit Static V Luxe...it's 30" wide and is a perfect fit, only about $70 on Amazon. It has a very low R-value of 1.3, but that's what I want since I'm only using it for comfort, not warmth (I use it in conjunction with an underquilt).

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Steve66, at R 1.3 I'm guessing that pad would work well, just by itself, in warm summer months. When I go kayak camping, I always bring a pad in case I have to go to ground. A paddling partner uses MY Ridge Runner so I bring a pad for her (I use a GE so I don't have to find two hanging solutions for the longer distance required by the RR). I've always also brought an UQ for the RR. But perhaps just that pad (and a UQP in the DL RR would be enough in the summer. I know, in a sea kayak, there is very little difficulty in fitting in the UQ - but it is OMT (one more thing).

Have you tried just using the pad with the double door spindrift in the summer? if so, has it worked for you?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yes, you are absolutely correct - I find that I can use just the Klymit Static V Luxe in the warmer months down to 55 to 60 degrees with no problems, and that's without the Spindrift. If you added the Spindrift, you could probably go down another 5 to 10 degrees, depending on your personal preference and environment - the 30" wide pad really fills up the whole double-layer pocket and does a good job at keeping the wind away from your backside. That said, I tend to only use the Spindrift in the late Fall to Spring time...in the summer, I prefer just a tarp above me for better ventilation and better views of the surrounding woods.

As an aside, in the winter you really need to vent the Spindrift to prevent crazy amounts of condensation. I was on a Scout trip with my son last weekend and it got down to about 5 degrees. I had the Ridgerunner, Spindrift, and Klymit pad with a -10 Loco Libre UQ and a -10 HG Econ Burrow TQ. I opened both Spindrift zippers (I have the 2-door version) about 12" to 16" at the top and was still toasty warm. I had some condensation on the TQ near my mouth, but the rest of the inside was pretty dry.

Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Silpoly cloudburst
    I do have the double layer as I usually use my klymit insulated pad under me but how wide is the super fly as compared to any other tarps with doors

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    I have the 13ft Superfly w/ pole mods and the Spindrift 2door exterior pole version all in Bushwack camo and I love the set up! Was in 30* this past weekend and forgot to leave the tops of my doors open until about 2AM. Condensation can be an issue if you don't vent. I use it up to about 50* nights just as a nice privacy enclosure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast