Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Like most of us, I have a *lot* of stakes floating around my gear storage area. I really like y-stakes for guy lines, partly because if you get them really anchored, the little reflective cords make them easier to get out, and keep the lines visible.

I prefer knots to line-locs, so I’m not likely to experiment with the very cool idea of wrapping lines around pegs. Great idea, though.

For my little ground-cover tarp under my hammock, though, I’ve gone to aluminum shepherd hooks, because they don’t rip your foot up if you step on one in camp shoes. Anodized red ones are easy to spot and keep track of in packing up.

I’m too cheap to mess with titanium :-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    For all-around, I’m like others and use 4 mini groundhogs for the main corners. I also carry a couple of shepherds hooks for the doors and right now I’m carrying 2 Dutch carbon fiber stakes just to try them out. (So far I actually like them.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    For all-around, I’m like others and use 4 mini groundhogs for the main corners. I also carry a couple of shepherds hooks for the doors and right now I’m carrying 2 Dutch carbon fiber stakes just to try them out. (So far I actually like them.)

I started with mini ground hogs.. Still have a dozen or so. I may go back to them for one trip to see if I miss them or some kind of light bulb goes off.

I used the Ruta Locura carbon fiber stakes for part of last season, until the metal tip on one disappeared. I always felt I needed to be gentle with them, whether or not it was actually warranted.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I started with mini ground hogs.. Still have a dozen or so. I may go back to them for one trip to see if I miss them or some kind of light bulb goes off.

I used the Ruta Locura carbon fiber stakes for part of last season, until the metal tip on one disappeared. I always felt I needed to be gentle with them, whether or not it was actually warranted.
    I want to try the HD Ti hooks, but Lawson’s is out right now. The only issue I have with them is I like to keep my line attached to my stakes because I’m horrible about finding them or forgetting them.

If all else fails...

tent pegs.jpg

Seriously, I keep my stakes and guylines in a separate stuff sack. Nothing goes in the tarp stuff sack except the tarp. Mostly I use smaller aluminum stakes from DAC, MSR, or the ones Brandon sells. I've been known to take along the Ground Hogs for softer soil. And, of course, there are often trees, shrubs, or rocks to tie off to. Haven't messed with snow/sand anchors.

I agree with the OP (and practically everyone else) that there is no do-everything stake but the small aluminum ones work most of the time for me. Haven't seen the need for any ti ones yet.
    Last edited by TominMN; 01-26-2020 at 11:44.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Stakes I use vary depending on the situation. However, I just purchased these Flea Stakes from Dutchware Gear, and I am very excited about their possibilities.

I have self-tensioning guy lines. 2 different types of material. The 4 corner guys are Zing it and I have removable Micro Cord guys for the remaining tie out points (used in heavy wind).

So these new stakes, which allows for very easy tightening and re-tightening of the guy lines, might just be perfect.

Here is a little initial video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ZHWsdpZrQ

st4.jpg

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I do not use Y stakes of any kind. Stepped on one bare footed & ripped a very large chunk out of the bottom of my foot. The we're the wally world ones. After limping for 3 days & got home I trashed all Y stakes I had. I have a decent selection of other types I use if cannot find something natural close enough.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    oldbiker, I feel your pain. Really. I've met the unfriendly end (not the point) of a Y (or groundhog) stake myself. I've learned I can't pound/step on them with body parts like I can a hook style. I want to like them for their holding power. But I imagine keeping a tarp in its snake skin (to see the stars at night) if I don't need it - ready to guy it out if a surprise rain shows up. That would require pre-setting the guy stakes. And I can't imagine having those skin tearing Y's poking out of the ground, just waiting for their next bare foot (or even light flip-flops) victim to walk by. It's a dilemma. Maybe I could tie a small piece of dayglow survey tap on them for visibility. But that doesn't help so much at night.

I now carry a light plastic mallet for pounding. Almost everyone who makes fun of it has come around later and quietly asked if they could borrow it. Certainly not an UL item but very handy if minimum weight is not a requirement.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Cougarmeat,

If I leave stakes in the ground, without a guyline, I place a sizeable rock and/or stick next to the stake, to keep me from stepping on them. I make sure the stick or rock, is slightly taller than the stake.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast